What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Sparks by SJ Adams. A great addition to the Humorous Tales Of Lesbians Joining Cults subgenre :D The funniest thing to me was that the MC is obsessed with the show Full House, and is coming to realize that real life is not like the show. The author even went so far as to name minor characters in the novel after minor characters in the show. Not that I'm a fan. Or anything...

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got around to UNDER THE NEVER SKY. It's not bad so far -- the writing is very clean and the prose serviceable, if the story isn't as gripping as I'd like it to be. Partially because I can't stop wondering... am I really the only one who's noticed that everyone in this story so far is white, with either blond hair and blue/green eyes, or pale skin and dark hair? In a world set 300 years in the future, in what seems to be California, that has an artificial reality where you can make yourself look however you want, and where there is genetic engineering on top of it. Okay.

Wait, everyone *except* the one "striking, dark" young woman with "almond-shaped eyes" who happened to once hook up with Perry and serves as nothing more (so far) than "artificial tension" between the MC and her burgeoning love. Which... yeah.

And I won't even get into the villainous psycho in Aria's world being genetically engineered so he's the only one with tanned skin. I mean, WHAT? Bleh...

A. K. Fotinos-Hoyer

Chasing Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Same here! Wither was so good, I devoured it in like a day. Been less enthusiastic with Fever, it's been dragging for me.

Oh no! I just finished Wither this weekend and was really looking forward to starting Fever. I'll still read it anyways *grins* but I hope I wont be disappointed.

A. K. Fotinos-Hoyer

Chasing Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Fever and I'm actually angry about...everything. The MC spends almost the entire book complaining or lying in bed. The entire story could have been told in half the time if the MC would stop thinking about how awful everything is. It was extremely disappointing, especially the ending.

But now I'm moving on to Pandemonium and I still have to finish reading Cinder.

Oh no! Well, I havent started reading Fever yet, so maybe I'll move onto Pandemonium or Cinder which are also in my TBR pile - as soon as I finish THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH :D

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about a third of the way into AFTER THE SNOW by S. D. Crockett, which is a YA dystopia/post apocalyptic story set after the oceans have stopped working so that a mini-ice age has set in. It's written in a stylised voice, which I find works for me at the moment. In a bizarre way, this book is the polar (ha ha) opposite of BLOOD RED ROAD by Moira Young (which is set in a hot, dry world where the deserts have expanded to cover everything).

MM

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. Intrigued to see if the hype is deserved. I'm sure it is, though.

MackenziLee

we are a sensational team
Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh I just finished "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor. SO GOOD! I seriously can't say enough good things about that book! The most beautiful thing I've read in soooo long! I am almost certain that nothing will satisfy me until I get my hands on the sequel in September....only seven months.....

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh I just finished "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor. SO GOOD! I seriously can't say enough good things about that book! The most beautiful thing I've read in soooo long! I am almost certain that nothing will satisfy me until I get my hands on the sequel in September....only seven months.....

I loved that book too, one of the best novels I've read in a really long time. I got it from the library and my reward for finishing my current WIP is to buy a hardcover (!) copy of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I hardly ever buy hardcovers.

Over the weekend I finished A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnolly which is so, so good. It was published in 2003 so I discovered it a bit late but I'm really glad I read it. It's a beautifully written YA historical novel and I was rooting for the protagonist all the way through.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I went back to Corsets and Clockwork because the recent thread made me want to read some more steampunk. It confirmed my earlier idea--I like it best when it's punk with some Victoriana, not Victoriana with some punk. It took me half an hour to read the first short story, because it had this wordy, intricate, elegant, stylized period piece voice. I also feel a burning need to argue about the ending. xd But don't want to spoil it, because it's a twist ending.

Threewinds

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished 'Set The Seas On Fire' By Chris Roberson.

I loved it! And I will be reading more of his books.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've almost finished AFTER THE SNOW by S. D. Crockett but while I like the voice for the most part (and it's definitely worth a look if you want to see an example of a stylised voice done well), there are times when I just wanted a clear description of what was happening. I've also found that the middle section of the story completely sagged so that the MC wasn't really doing much except check out what life in the city was like. That said, the story picks up in the final quarter and there's some revelation which, while not completely unexpected, to serve to give it more depth and momentum. It looks like the book's primed to have a sequel, which I'll probbaly check out.

The next book I've lined up is OLIVER TWISTED by J. D. Sharpe, which is (as the title suggests) an Oliver Twist mash-up which promises ghoulish fun. Can't wait.

MM

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chooseya.com
Just started Partials by Dan Wells, which the publishers sent me for review and I have heard great things about :) I have heard it's one of the better dystopian/virus YA releases of the last 12 months.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Disenchantments by Nina Lacour. It's even better than Hold Still. I love all the mentions of music. Nina's quickly becoming one of my favorite YA authors. I sort of want to be her best friend.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so Shadow and Bone was AMAZING. It's not out until June I think, but it's one you guys definitely need to get. Sooo good.

Now reading Struck by Jennifer Bosworth.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Disenchantments by Nina Lacour. It's even better than Hold Still. I love all the mentions of music. Nina's quickly becoming one of my favorite YA authors. I sort of want to be her best friend.

Oh, I loved Hold Still. Disenchantments is on my TBR list. I should bump it up.

Been reading too much fantasy lately, I think. I'm enjoying Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but I'm not going ga-ga over it the way some people are. The ushy-gushy, pages long, romantic prose is just a bit too much for me. I prefer more romance to be more understated, though I do like some of the unique story elements and the world building is phenomenal.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read any Jason Myers? I'm about to jump into DEAD END. the goodreads reviews are pretty polarizing.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started OLIVER TWISTED by J. D. Sharpe and I almost missed my bus stop this morning because I was laughing so hard. It's a dark fantasy/horror mash up of (amazingly) OLIVER TWIST by Charles Dickens, set in a Victorian world where zombies, demons, vampyres and all manner of other mythical beasties live and where Oliver Twisted is prophesied to either be the world's saviour or its destroyer. There's a lot of humour in there, the voice really mimics Dickens's tone in the original and it's fun to see where Sharpe dove tails in with the original story before taking it in a new direction.

MM

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started OLIVER TWISTED by J. D. Sharpe and I almost missed my bus stop this morning because I was laughing so hard. It's a dark fantasy/horror mash up of (amazingly) OLIVER TWIST by Charles Dickens, set in a Victorian world where zombies, demons, vampyres and all manner of other mythical beasties live and where Oliver Twisted is prophesied to either be the world's saviour or its destroyer. There's a lot of humour in there, the voice really mimics Dickens's tone in the original and it's fun to see where Sharpe dove tails in with the original story before taking it in a new direction.

MM

That sounds like fun!!

That book is so good! I love her writing style, and the descriptions of London are fantastic. The protagonist is wonderful as well, very adorkable but also down to earth :)

I was actually bored to tears with this one. A lot of the Ripper stuff doesn't come into play until the middle of the book and by then what do you have but a girl who's getting acquainted with a new school and new friends? It was a unique concept, but it just felt like it could have been done so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.