• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Your Weakest Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Endings are my failing. Quite frankly, they never have the punch I want them to. Probably because every project I write wants to be a trilogy, and tying up book one so it can be a standalone work is difficult. It nevers feels true to the bigger picture I have.

My titles are pretty sucky, too, but I'm not as worried about them. A lot of titles get changed by publishing houses anyway, even if they fit the book.

Strength? Probably dialog. At least according to my beta readers.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest problem is that I often have trouble finding clarity about what my characters will do and think in the next moment, even if I know what is supposed to happen in 5 minutes. (I hope that makes sense, but wonder if it actually does.) It is exacerbated by my depending on putting things in right words before I can go on to the next words.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
Content. My story-verses are so massive that I have a very hard time carving out the single best coherent plot from a thousand possible others.

I'm best at voice (and sarcasm, if that counts as a technique).

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I've worked pretty hard to get rid of anything I can identify as a weakness in my writing. At this point the only ones still hanging around are difficulties with pacing and total word-count. I love my details and this makes both individual scenes and whole books run longer than they really should.

My favorite part is action description. I love showing my character doing interesting things and communicating their feelings through description rather than actual thoughts.

My betas tend to cite my dialogue and humor as being high points as well. Those are two things I've always been good at, even back when I sucked at everything else.

YeonAh

Hey, Baby Love Crash
Registered
Reaction score
My strength would probably be world-building, I have lots of fun with them and like going perhaps a little bit overboard >> But if it's interesting to the readers, then it's all good! I rarely have writer's block with that.

My weakness would be...describing reactions, expressions, etc. I come from an anime/manga background, as well as watch a lot of Korean dramas/music videos/etc where the 'aegyo' (acting cute) is really strong...so I tend to go really over the top with reactions to the point my characters could probably be a bunch of kids on sugar. Or in comedic skits where the point is to go overboard. Working on fixing that ><

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
I struggle with descriptions, but I don't know why through. It sometimes takes me a while to get going.

A Girl In A Dress

... wrote you a story.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told I'm good at descriptions (my theory? I more or less hate reading long descriptions of anything, so my goal is to make something as clear and evocative in as short a space as possible), believable/relatable characters, and keeping the reader interested.

Weaknesses... dialogue and not trusting the reader or myself.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Narratives!! Oi!! I struggle with the narrative part of my story and I have to really push to get them out. I'd rather stick with dialogue and inner dialogue, but writing what the character is doing while he talks makes me work. I've learned to overcome it, but I still have to push myself.

Endings are my failing. Quite frankly, they never have the punch I want them to. Probably because every project I write wants to be a trilogy, and tying up book one so it can be a standalone work is difficult. It nevers feels true to the bigger picture I have.

My titles are pretty sucky, too, but I'm not as worried about them. A lot of titles get changed by publishing houses anyway, even if they fit the book.

Strength? Probably dialog. At least according to my beta readers.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
"Stunning visuals", via metaphor and simile, for the good part. I've been told I have voice (mine) down pat.

Overwriting and never getting to the point, clogging the scene, slowing the pace, like King oft times does. Sometimes using the dratted By the way, Bob, and info dump.

As for all of us, watch your damn humor. It's the most subjective writing of all.

tri

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I think pacing is my worst problem. It has cost me an agent twice.

I tend to set things up nice and slow...slower...slowerrrr...

andtheneverythinghappensatonceandeverythingisrevealedanditssuperexcitingTHEEND!

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to have trouble with plots. Mostly the conflict part of them, really. I don't like writing about characters I really like being deeply upset--and I'm not good at writing strong negative emotion, either--so my plots tend to shy away from doing anything too devastating to characters I like.

It ends up needing a lot of wrangling back in order. "Nothing too devastating" might work if I were writing slice-of-life or light comedy, but when I'm trying to write adventure, the stakes need to feel real.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
Strongest points:
Raising tension
Description
plotting

(Or so I've been told by writing buddies :) )

Weakest points:

being too wordy
characterization
dialogue

Last edited:

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Strong points: dialogue. stringing coherent sentences together. overall premise.

Weakest points:
Description. Syntax, maybe? I always think my narrative sentences are less dynamic than my scene sentences. Plotting, which goes hand in hand with endings.

lambauman

Registered
Reaction score
Weakest? Can I say everything? Seems like whatever I am writing at the moment is my weakest. LOL (That's what edits are for. ^_-)

However, I'd say there's been improvement in: description, character, setting, emotion, style...etc. over time. Still not good, but better than before.

Still no improvement in choosing titles!! T_T

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Strong points: dialog, world building/descriptions, and short sentences, oh.. and "smut"

Weak points: character building/descriptions -- several betas have said in the past that they can't understand what the problem with the MC is.

Action sequences -- I'm not good at them. The action runs so fast in my head that my fingers can't keep up. hahaha

I'm sure there are more...

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, another thing I struggle with - cliches. I try to avoid them but sometimes they just slip in, ya know? I also have to concentrate extra-hard to come up with original metaphors

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm awesome at backstory.

I'm TERRIBLE at description. Horrible. I don't like reading description either (so that's probably why). I have to constantly remind myself that the reader has no idea the house I'm picturing in my mind, so I have to go back and add description.

BelovedSongbird

A sojourner in this strange realm
Registered
Reaction score
I would say my weaknesses include, rambling/being wordy, knowing when is enough description and not insulting the reader's imagination by overdoing it, and also the flip side of that, not assuming that the reader can imagine what's in my head... also, I don't have trouble creating backstory for characters, but knowing how much and when to put it in the story is sometimes difficult.
My strong points... characters, descriptions... I like using similes and I like using what I call poetic prose in my descriptions, and narrative. I would say endings are also one of my strong points, since I usually come up with my endings first... or at least know generally how it's going to go.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Strengths: Description, setting the scene, dialog.
Weaknesses: Plot, tension (or lack thereof), endings, titles.

Characterization falls somewhere in between. I could probably use some work on it, but it's not as dire as my plotting problems.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
My weakness is writing too much. I could just go on and on and on and on without a scene ever ending, and then I don't know what to cut.

Strengths? Well, I feel pretty comfortable with dialogue and characterization, but that doesn't mean I'm good at it.

Snowball2695

Registered
Reaction score
Beginnings, endings, describing setting are all problems for me.
Dialogue, character description and interaction, so on and so forth are all fine.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Strong: Humor/sarcasm, flow, turning up the heat level.

Weak: Those pesky adverbs. They're like roaches - once you find one, you know there's a million of them lurking in the nooks and crannies.

Status
Not open for further replies.