• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hill and Hill Literary Agency (Christopher Hill)

TigerBites

The Write Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samron-tech.com
Well I've sent out four submissions to date and another four will be out by the end of the week. I'm perhaps lucky in that I have my own business and can spend more time on my writing, but even so it's annoying having to start all over again.

I can't get over Hill's pure arrogance, he even asked me to send him some prices as he may want to use my services.

I wonder if as well as Hill & Hill that there's a Smith & Jones, a Green & Brown and a Weasel & Snake also doing business in the same field or maybe even another field, say, Spanish property or even Rent-a-Roach.

Olderbutwiser

Registered
Reaction score
Back in the ol' routine...

:Hug2: I've just dusted out the synopsis, sales pitch letter and author profile that I put together over a year ago. I was pretty certain I'd have to rewrite them, but have been pleasantly surprised at how few changes I need to make.

Only problem is, I binned the list of agents I submitted to - with Heel and Heel (I've taken to using the Spanish prononciation) "representing" me, I thought I didn't need it. May get some duplication. But what the hell.

Will have to buy an up to date copy of Writer's Handbook - I don't trust Firstwriter any more and am strongly considering cancelling my subscription.
You know what? I somehow don't think I'll find an entry in it for H&H.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming an average fee of 100 pounds/victim ... he's cleared 20 to 50,000 pounds, maybe more. What would that buy me in the UK?

Here's one way to make the scam profitable:

1. Have a job that pays for the necsssities out of salary
2. Use your employer's phone lines for the long distance calls
3. Collect the agency fees, keeping as many people on the hook as possible with minimal effort.
4. Use the money ........ for what? I doubt he paid VAT on it, so maybe it was just a nice bit of pocket change. Or down payment on a cottage in Cadiz.
5. Cancel all the accounts and send an email blast to terminate your client list.

TigerBites

The Write Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samron-tech.com
Heel & Heel

Absolutely correct, there isn't a sniff of Heel & Heel in the latest version... mind you, it's a bit pricey these days. But better using that than any listing on the net.

UTB Professor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
This is my second post: somewhere way back when, meaning only a few days ago, I was one of those "A Message for Christopher Hill" posters who saw the writing (graffiti?) on the wall, but was hoping against hope that our pal Mr. Hill wasn't scamming absolutely everyone.

There was at least some reason for my hope. My wife is from Spain, where scamming in various fields is a highly developed art form, and through the sad experiences of friends I am familiar with one Spanish type. In real estate it often happens that houses are sold on speculation, before they are built, which gives builders up-front money, and gives buyers a lower price. But what often happens is that a group of initial buyers will get their homes done beautifully, and at very reasonable rates, encouraging lots of other people to want in. It is this second group that finds itself with a vanished builder, an unbuilt or partially-built home, and an empty bank account.

Thus I was hoping that maybe I'd be one of the lucky few to secure a lifeboat on the Titanic. Sadly, not so.

I may also be the reason Mr. Hill decided to say he was moving to Spain. Throughout the summer I was in Spain, where my wife and I have a farm. I was in regular contact with Hill, telling stories and generally talking up the place. When it came time for the scammer to scat, "Spain" may thus have been in his thoughts. But, my friends, I wouldn't count on his body actually being there. As with one of the earlier posters, I'm of the mind that he is likely not far from Scotland where, many of you have confirmed, he was spotted in person.

I have one new mystery for all of you to contemplate: my query to Mr. Hill's new [email protected] address was bounced back, yielding the following Out of Office AutoReply from one Mr. David Patterson:

David Patterson has left PublicAffairs. If you are inquiring after an editorial matter that requires a response please contact Lindsay Jones, Assistant Editor, or Clive Priddle, Editorial Director, at [email protected] or [email protected].

More for amusement than anything else, I'll follow this up. Those of you who are seriously interested in tracking down Mr. Hill might also find it useful. And who knows, maybe one of us will be able to make a contact leading to publication! Unlike Hill & Hill Literary Agency, PublicAffairs Books and the persons listed actually exist.

As for my bona fides, I am a full professor at the University of Texas at Brownsville, host of a radio talk show, and the President of our Academic Senate. I am also the author of two books, a trade book published by Simon & Schuster, and an academic book published by the Air University Press (the press of the U.S. Air Force). When my most recent (non-fiction) book was completed I sent queries to a number of agents. Mr. Hill was the first to reply, and so I simply went with him. Fortunately neither my job, bank account, nor ego (well, the last isn't entirely so) have been unduly damaged by Mr. Hill's antics.

Unlike many of you, I have no problem posting my name and address. Should Mr. Hill actually make good on his threats to bring suit against critics, I'm sure our university's attorneys would very much enjoy the fight. And, in the event Mr. Hill himself is reading all this: Christopher, you may be certain that if a single sentence of my manuscript finds its way into print elsewhere, you will have a battalion of American lawyers dragging you into court for intellectual property infringement. My suggestion to you, my dear Mr. Hill? Take the eighty quid and run. Fast and far. And, believe me, Spain isn't far enough.

As for all the rest of you who have been scammed, should you need my help in a subsequent legal case against Hill & Hill, I would be delighted to do whatever I can.

David E. Pearson, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology
Academic Senate President
University of Texas at Brownsville

Last edited:

TigerBites

The Write Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samron-tech.com
Well persistence seems to pay off, at least initially. I emailed a synopsis of my script to a Film Production company out of The Writers' and Artists' Year Book and they've asked for the full script.

I know it's only one swallow and it's not even summer, but maybe it's a hop skip and a jump out of the Hill & Hill mire and into pastures new.

But I won't hold my breath or get my hopes up, just keep grinding on a chipping away at that huge block of granite!

privateeye

Registered
Reaction score
Tiger

Well done, and so quick!! Makes a mockery of what we were told!!!

TigerBites

The Write Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samron-tech.com
Screenplay

Well it's early days... they may take one look have a fit of laughter (it is a black comedy, but they may not see that) and throw it in the bin.

I sent this out about a week ago, as soon as I saw the infamous H&H email. Whicever way it goes it's back to the waiting game.

I spent months on tenterhooks with Hill & Hill, but now I'm talking direct to a production company... but then that could all go the same way. Let's face it, it's the luck of the draw.

yellowplanet

Open Letter to Christopher Hill

Dear Sir,

Without doubt you will be reading this forum ensconced in Edinburgh, Espania, the Garden of Eden (where serpents like to dwell) or somewhere else entirely, and perhaps you even feel a little hounded at the bad press which you feel sure will blow over.

Assuming you are in your 40’s that gives you what – a probable 20 more ‘productive’ years on the planet and when that gnat’s wingspan of time is over will you truly be able to equate yourself with your Maker and the life hereafter by what you have done?

Has this paltry scam been worth it?

Based on your actions I must assume you have no conscience and therefore the above may not worry you overmuch but perhaps one day when you find yourself in a reflective mood your conscience will force you to ruminate upon the abject malice of which you are entirely capable. To me there is nothing more cruel than one who will knowingly trample upon the dreams of others. Why? To what ultimate end? For surely there is a higher part of yourself – call it what you will – which weeps at what you have done here.

There is a philosophy which says everything happens for a reason and although the rationale for this is ambiguous to those of us who have been your victims, it is for each of us to unearth an individual reason and take strength from it - making us not only better writers but better human beings and perhaps may make us think twice before we dare to dance on the dreams of others.

As for you, I believe you will be happy to think you have ‘gotten away with it’ this time around but know that the karmic wheel turns sir and whoever you are and whatever you believe or don’t believe you will unquestionably reap what you have sown. I know this to be true without doubt.

So be happy Mr Hill for the interim is brief and eternity beckons.

If you perhaps wonder about the strange moniker I have chosen to use in this forum you would find the answer in my work – but then you most probably never read it.

Yellowplanet

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Would you? Why? I can't figure out how it would be relevant.

At some point, before settling into a long-term agent/client relationship, one has to be up-front about one's writing-and-submitting history. It can be as simple as "I was taken in by a scammer named X," with no more details than that unless the agent needs to know.

But this is a business where there are no secrets; better to bring 'em up yourself.

(Same with having signed with Cris Robins, or having an early book out from PublishAmerica -- that's what a three-martini-lunch is for.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Olderbutwiser said:
247, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Let's face it, there had to be some money in it for Hill somewhere. If former clients number 80 to 100, which I think is a reasonable estimate, there wouldn't be enough in the pot to cover Hill's telecom bills, let alone pay "his staff".

I think it's reasonable to assume that the true number was perhaps ten times that many.

TigerBites

The Write Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samron-tech.com
Upfron with Agents

All the submissions I initailly sent out explained about Hill & Hill, but the two I sent today, I must admit, I didn't bother mentioning it as it's getting tedious now.

I will however spill the beans, as it were, if it ever comes to a contract. And I'll also be getting legal advice on said contract before I sign anything.

privateeye

Registered
Reaction score
Really!! I did quite well with them! It was "Bantam" who said goodbye first with me! Though they were "impressed with my vision"!!!!!

Olderbutwiser

Registered
Reaction score
Bantam sent a very nice rejection (in lower case), adding that they'd be "happy to receive submissions from this author in the future". I asked Heel if it was worth sending them a synopsis of my half finished second novel, he thought it a good idea, so I sent him this along with extracts for him to send via that channel (at no extra cost!). Guess what - Bantam decided to send my first novel "back to review". Heel said this happened sometimes, but was a "good sign". A month later, they "rejected" it again.

What mendacity. What an utter, utter waste of time.

privateeye

Registered
Reaction score
Ah the wonders of it! I was told by Arrow "that my work showed good promise but lacked an edge", but enough of that, I suppose we all have these delightful little messages!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Another said:
In the interest of learning lessons for the future of approaching agents, perhaps Victoria could provide thoughts on the use of firstwriter.com as the site apparently was a key start point for some posting on this thread
The Internet is an invaluable research tool, but agent listings on the Internet are not a good place to start your research. They're too likely to have been compiled by people who don't know what they're doing, or to be open databases where anyone can make an entry. Not only are they likely to contain many questionable agents, they may be incorrect or out of date as well.

More specifically, about Firstwriter.com...I've had some correspondence with them because I've mentioned them here as an example of the above. Their listings include many legitimate agents, but also many questionable ones. Their theory is that, since writers are allowed to post comments about the agents, any problems will be exposed and other writers will be warned off. I don't buy this theory. What if there are no comments? When Firstwriter's database was still visible, I was able to locate a number of fee-chargers who had no comments. Writers might well assume that anyone without a comment was safe to query--and in fact I've gotten a number of letters from people who've queried questionable agents as a result of finding a listing on Firstwriter.com.

Also, a comments system can be abused. I understand that Hill lost its listing on Firstwriter because someone from the agency faked comments.

Printed agent guides aren't perfect, but in general they're a much better primary research resource. You might want to check out my article on this; I suggest a procedure for researching agents that's designed to help identify appropriate agents and also to exclude the questionable ones: The Safest Way to Search for an Agent.

- Victoria

TigerBites

The Write Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samron-tech.com
I don't feel any anger or anything anymore. Lost time is the biggest annoyance, but I'm letting it wash over me and concentrating on the matter in hand, getting published.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
JennaGlatzer said:
One other thing I'll note: I think there were a lot more than 80-100 clients. I say that because we've learned in the past that there are usually TONS of writers who don't come forward in any scheme like this to admit that they've been had, or who want to remain believers forever, or who never bother reading what's being said, etc. We're still watching people trickle in here, but my guess is that there are lots more just watching and waiting to see how this is going to shake out... or thinking they'll be the "loyal ones," thus getting better treatment when the agency reorganizes.
I'm sure there are many more than we've heard from here, but I suspect that the total is far smaller than with most scammers. Hill does appear to have given at least some people duplicate comments, but most of what I've seen, including dozens of detailed and lengthy "publisher comments," is unique. With the reports, the submission packages, the publisher comments, the long, b.s.-filled explanation emails, the various faked documents and identities, not to mention the phone calls and personal contacts, this was an incredibly labor-intensive scheme (another thing that distinguishes it from fake-submissions scammers like NY Literary Agency, which does everything it can to minimize effort)--which, based on the very consistent prose style of whoever did all the writing, I'm guessing was run by a single individual. Unless he worked 24 hours a day, he'd have been forced to limit the number of people he was dealing with.

I don't think this was about the money. I don't think it was ever about the money. I think it was all about manipulation and control. He didn't need lots of clients--he just needed to hold on to the ones he had.

- Victoria

TigerBites

The Write Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samron-tech.com
I would agree with Victoria, but I still think there were at least two of them. Unless Hill covered his tracks by deliberately making typos, then the emails I received from him were very different in style to those of Claire Ashton.

GeoffNelder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffnelder.com
TigerBites said:
I would agree with Victoria, but I still think there were at least two of them. Unless Hill covered his tracks by deliberately making typos, then the emails I received from him were very different in style to those of Claire Ashton.
I agree with VS too, but I think there were two Claire Ashtons, and maybe neither were real. The CA I spoke to on the phone and had emails months ago has a completely different style to those we had over the weekend. However, the recent ones were written under stress...