Last Movie You Watched...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Loved it. Had me tearing up for the last forty-five minutes or so, and I'm not one to often get sentimental while watching movies. It wasn't quite the amazing visual spectacle I'd heard it was, but I'm sure they'll win all the makeup awards.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
^ I adored Benjamin Button. I thought it was exquisite in every way.

Right now, my boyfriend is taken with cold, so we're watching his sick movie--3:10 to Yuma (the Bale/Crowe remake.)

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, bought Traitor. THAT was a really good movie. Rare that any can keep me guessing anymore.

Finally had a chance to watch Momma Mia last night.

YOU ALL COULD HAVE WARNED ME!!!!! :e2tongue:

Good God.

Now, NOW I know how my grandfather suffered when I INSISTED on seeing Grease--decades ago!

To make matters worse--much worse--my daughter just HAD to turn on the sing-along.
ACK!!!!

That movie, I'm SURE, will cause suicides!

To make matters worse: I own the bloody thing. Oh no, couldn't just RENT the movie...I had to purchase the nightmare!

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Last ones watched was on Saturday night: Rendition and Babylon A.D.
Wew have like 400 movies and seen almost all of them. Except I don't do singing, or very old movies...

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Tropic Thunder and Iron Man. It's good to see Downey's career on the re-rise.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I have just borrowed Iron Man from a friend. Will hopefully watch it tonight. He said it was good. I just hope he's right this time. The last time he said a film was good I ended up sitting through Battlefield Earth.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Jeeze, I think you made my child cry or was it a scream? Iron Man isn't too bad, and because it was a 'hit' there will another one in 2010.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Iron Man was good...not great, but it might have been all the talk and expectation that brought it down a notch. Downey was excellent though, and I liked Paltrow too. Kinda annoyed that they will replace Terrance Howard in the next one. I think he is underrated.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Iron Man was good...not great, but it might have been all the talk and expectation that brought it down a notch. Downey was excellent though, and I liked Paltrow too. Kinda annoyed that they will replace Terrance Howard in the next one. I think he is underrated.

Let me guess, they'll bring in Cuba Gooding?

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
The Code by Mimi Leder.

Average heist movie, Antonio Banderas with Morgan Freeman. By the end of the movie, everybody suddenly turns out to be somebody else than they were throughout the story.

Also saw a trailer for 'Flashbacks of a Fool,' an obscure movie with Daniel Craig which looked, well, obscure. A star looking back at his youth in an English village.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Also saw a trailer for 'Flashbacks of a Fool,' an obscure movie with Daniel Craig which looked, well, obscure. A star looking back at his youth in an English village.

I saw this movie. It's actually really good. I think it probably got release in Europe but it's not a movie that would have seen wide release in the US. It's too quiet for it. But i recommend you see it. It's a solid movie, the whole time you keep holding your breath waiting for the bad thing that you just know is going to happen but it's not the thing that you suspect is going to happen. All in all, I enjoyed it a lot more than a lot of movies I've seen in 2008 that were "big blockbusters".

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
30 days of night

I didn't have much hope for this, given the dearth of decent vampire movies over the last few years, but this one surprised me. Not only was it glossier and better produced than I expected, but the acting was of a higher quality that you usually get in these kind of movies. The plot is based on a surprisingly effective premise; vampires arrive in a remote Alaskan town on the day that the sun disappears for a month. They send in a "renfield" to kill the town's dogs and cut off the power.

It ramps up in tension from there. It plays more like a zombie siege movie than any other vamp movie I've seen, and the vamps themselves seem to like shedding blood more than drinking it. Be warned, the gore level is quite high, and nice people come to extremely bloody ends, even the kiddies. And the vamps aren't lounging around being sexy. These are real bloodsucking bastards, and all the better for it.

Josh Hartnett is still a work in progress as an actor, but he's better here than I've seen him in anything else, probably because he's mostly reacting to dramatic events rather than trying to portray anyone too complex. Still, with this he's proved he can carry a movie, and I think we'll be seeing more of him in action roles soon.

Like most horror movies, it suffers from several "lets do something -really- stupid" moments, but the whole thing is done with enough style and pace to get you through them without too much shouting at the screen. I particularly liked the overhead panning shots as the vamps took the town apart.

In all, I enjoyed it. It was only later that I started to ask questions, like why the vamps wasted so much blood, and where they got their language skills, why they avoided the big utilities building with all the lights on, and where they went to after the final confrontation. But those are just quibbles.

It's gone back on the shelf to be watched again, and that doesn't happen with many horror movies these days.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
30 days of night

I didn't have much hope for this, given the dearth of decent vampire movies over the last few years, but this one surprised me. Not only was it glossier and better produced than I expected, but the acting was of a higher quality that you usually get in these kind of movies. The plot is based on a surprisingly effective premise; vampires arrive in a remote Alaskan town on the day that the sun disappears for a month. They send in a "renfield" to kill the town's dogs and cut off the power.

It ramps up in tension from there. It plays more like a zombie siege movie than any other vamp movie I've seen, and the vamps themselves seem to like shedding blood more than drinking it. Be warned, the gore level is quite high, and nice people come to extremely bloody ends, even the kiddies. And the vamps aren't lounging around being sexy. These are real bloodsucking bastards, and all the better for it.

Josh Hartnett is still a work in progress as an actor, but he's better here than I've seen him in anything else, probably because he's mostly reacting to dramatic events rather than trying to portray anyone too complex. Still, with this he's proved he can carry a movie, and I think we'll be seeing more of him in action roles soon.

Like most horror movies, it suffers from several "lets do something -really- stupid" moments, but the whole thing is done with enough style and pace to get you through them without too much shouting at the screen. I particularly liked the overhead panning shots as the vamps took the town apart.

In all, I enjoyed it. It was only later that I started to ask questions, like why the vamps wasted so much blood, and where they got their language skills, why they avoided the big utilities building with all the lights on, and where they went to after the final confrontation. But those are just quibbles.

It's gone back on the shelf to be watched again, and that doesn't happen with many horror movies these days.
Love Donnie Darko.

Oh my! I was so prepared to hate this movie. Especially since I've been writing about vamps. Then I though, well if this is just gore for gore's sake, I'm not watching it.

It wasn't as bad as I thought. I thought another character was going to do what Josh ended up doing--but hey, I go for HEA.
Taken was great.
So, yeah, this was the last movie I've seen and soon we'll see Grand Torino.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The Last Starfighter. Gosh, it's so 80s and so totally a ripoff of Starman and Tron, but it was fun. It's awesome to see how primitive CGI was back then.

Also watched Juno. It was still a cute film, but still not Oscar-worthy.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Revolutionary Road, finally. Great film. I'm not sure why Leo isn't getting recognition; Kate totally deserves hers. A lot of inappropriate laughing and knee-slapping in the audience, which I didn't understand. Pretty big downer of a film, but very good.