How'd You Find This Site?

Aleiarity

mostly harmless
Registered
Reaction score
I heard about it from a member of a different forum (completely unrelated to writing) and even though I registered, I didn't come post for a long time because... life.

PsylentProtagonist

American Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
I google searched writing forums. I used to love going on message boards for video games when I was younger and felt the best way to become a better writer was to join like minded writers somehow.

marcievaliant

Registered
Reaction score
I found the forums through searching a specific question about a specific genre. This was the only remotely helpful link I found, so I signed up. Hi!

Dana_Queen

Banned
Reaction score
Hey all, and welcome.

I've been here for half a year or so, and it's one of the best sites I've found for advice and support about writing.

The web's a weird place, with lots of trails, so I was wondering, how'd you find this site?

I myself found it mentioned in Writer's Digest's list of 101 Best Web Sites.

www.writersdigest.com/101..._index.asp

See you on the boards...

This website began (I believe) in 1999 and I've been a member on / off since that time. There are a suite of sites with writing and publishing information . . . but you still need to research the commentary.

NancyB16

Registered
Reaction score
Suddenly...

I have been typing my first finished novel this week and I noticed while I was going back over it that I was using the word "suddenly" throughout the novel way too much, so I googled for advice on it and ended up here.

jmg2010

jmg
Registered
Reaction score
Am not sure if same I bumped into before or not, but when researching publishers and agents, came across reviews in a similar one, started looking at some this week, liked the feel of this one's broad scale and signed up!

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Obviously

I have been typing my first finished novel this week and I noticed while I was going back over it that I was using the word "suddenly" throughout the novel way too much, so I googled for advice on it and ended up here.

Nancy, I feel your pain. Sometimes I get stuck on a 'favorite' word of the day in my drafting. My cheeks flamed red when a very early beta reader politely pointed out that I could find a word besides "obviously" to describe things for 50 pages straight in my novel. Gack.

How did I find this site? Hmmm. I think it was via some random google searching for helpful writer forums. Then I lurked quietly reading posts on occasion for several months as I scowled through edits of a couple novel projects. Finally decided to find some fellow writers to talk to about issues and roadblocks here online since I can't seem to find a useful group in-person where I'm at.

And friends are nice readers but...too nice for what I need. I need objectivity, sometimes snark, and a willingness to point out my egregious errors. Which I will take gracefully of course. Though I may mentally glare at the screen upon occasion. AW seemed a good fit!

Kuranes

Registered
Reaction score
I was searching on Google regarding writing tips and finding an agent/getting published, and one of the top hits led to a thread here on the forums.

I looked around a bit, and thought the place looked like a cool hangout, so I decided to register. And here I am. :)

norris

Registered
Reaction score
Google google

Just found it searching for a writer's site

Tess Majestic

Registered
Reaction score
My search string was "What is the difference between a beta reader and an editor?". Google spat out a thread dated 2009. I was very happy to see this forum was still active; seems many have been abandoned in favour of social networks these days.

Katrar

Registered
Reaction score
Not long ago I settled into a trance-like fugue state. Upon recovering I realized I had scrawled www.absolutewrite.com/forums upon every inch of floor, wall, and ceiling in broken crayon, chalk, and glitter glue.

Or, come to think of it, I may have read about you on Reddit's writing sub.

I think it was the latter.

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
I googled 'writing forums' and I think this site was within the top five searches. I'd thought for a moment that the place was abandoned because of the old-school style skin, but, lurking about, I found some very useful (and recently given) advice.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
The web's a weird place, with lots of trails, so I was wondering, how'd you find this site?

AQC (Author Query Connect) has a link to your site, so I decided to come and see.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
I think I learned about it over at Janet Reid's place. I like the anonymity; it's easier to ask stupid questions and display your ignorance when not attached to your RL name.

BlackMamba

Registered
Reaction score
I Googled PublishAmerica. :D I'd already heard a little about them from the Atlanta Nights saga and I was curious to see what other internet dirt there was on them.

EarthPark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
BEA

While at the Book Expo America in NYC last year (2013), a few top publishing companies editors pointed me to AW. It took me all year of just reading post until I drank the kool-aid before joining. Now I'm all in!

Jasmine Shea

Registered
Reaction score
I have just finished revising the first draft of my novel and was announcing on facebook that I needed beta readers to help with further revisions. One of my writer friends referred me here for a good source of information.

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
I found it quite accidentally via a web search for something else.

Glad I did.