Not open for further replies.

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com
Hiya folks.

Yikes, I haven't been here in forever (waves hi). It's been too long. Anyway, I am getting ready to release another book this week and I've been determined to do the formatting thing myself. I think everything's good to go, but I cannot figure out how to hyperlink that freakin' table of contents. I've been reading up and attempting to do so pretty much all day long, but it's just not happening. Apparently the task is particularly tricky for me because I have a Mac. Anyway...

I think it's about time to throw myself upon your mercy. Would anyone be interested in doing the hyperlinking thing for me in exchange for $10 via Paypal? Apologies if this amount is insulting. I reckon it's a quick job (if you know what you're doing) but maybe that's not the case. If this is too low, would $20 work? I really can't pay any more than that. I spent a small fortune on my cover art and finances are extremely tight this month. And I do have another 2 or 3 days to figure out the table of contents thing, but really there are a million other things I also need to be doing, so I thought I'd check.

Please let me know if you're interested. :)

Chiq

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Try Sigil (there's a Mac version), it makes it really easy. They have a tutorial that walks you through the process.

If you know HTML, it's even easier.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Are you using Word or a Mac program like Pages?

In Word, you highlight your chapter title and create a bookmark there named chapter 1 or whatever you want.

Then in your table of contents that lists the chapters, you select Chapter 1 and create a hyperlink to that bookmark.

Chiquita Banana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm using Word. And I tried creating bookmarks, but the bookmarks wouldn't come up when I tried to hyperlink each chapter. I don't know what the issue is. I've been on Kindleboards and all sorts of other boards today and have tried with several different versions. I haven't tried Sigil yet this time around but a couple of months ago when I started thinking about this task I looked into it and it seems to me there was some sort of problem like I didn't have the right version of the computer or something. I'll double check that. I've been using Calibre to convert the file and check it on my kindle. I don't know what else I can do though. Been trying to crack the code all day long. No joke. Anyway, thanks for the advice. :)

Chiquita Banana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yep, I can't open Sigil on my computer. As soon as I try to, the program crashes. It's not an uncommon issues with my version of Mac, apparently.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want $10, but I'll PM and you can send me the file if you want.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
The trick is to use the Heading 1 style for all chapters and then in References, you load up the auto TOC and style accordingly (in theory it would pick up your Heading 1 style).

Status
Not open for further replies.