Worst Movie Titles...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a movie coming to theaters in 2013 called A Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia. Based on every plot synopsis I've read for it so far, it takes place entirely in Georgia. But they wanted the name recognition from a sub-par horror flick that was moderately successful at the box office, apparently, so they tagged it with the "Haunting in Connecticut" title and made it a "sequel." One with no relation to the previous movie and also (and really, I can't stress this enough) one that takes place entirely in Georgia, not Connecticut. Either these ghosts need to get GPS, or this is a dumb ass movie title.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
"The Last Exorcism: Part 2"

"The Neverending Story: The Final Chapter"

(ok, I made up that second one)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
“The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The Last Exorcism: Part 2"

Oh yes, I find this one amusing as well. The tagline for this should be, "When we said 'last' exorcism, we meant the 'previous' exorcism."

lefty23

Registered
Reaction score
I always hate sequels that just add a 2 to the orginal title. Taken 2, Paranormal Activity 2, etc.

Put a little effort into the title.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Either The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini or The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies would certainly get into the top ten of any list of dumb titles, but yeah - so many sequels to pick on... :D

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
I can think of a lot of weird titles, but so far, only one dumb title (in the way "Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia" is dumb) is coming to mind.

Feardotcom. At least, that's how it was supposed to be said. Back in the day, we used to joke about how it actually read, as written, "Feardotcom dot com." And they kept showing said fictional web address in the movie, just to rub it in.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
“The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”

Based on a novel. I quite like this one, actually. Way to show an opposing viewpoint in only a few words!

How has no one yet mentioned "Breakin 2, Electric Booglaoo?"

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Thir13en Ghosts.

Although it was probably popular with sk8er bois.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
The Thir13en Ghosts.

Although it was probably popular with sk8er bois.
Written by AW's own NMStevens! Adapted from a classic Hammer horror IIRC, but back on track...
Avoiding the complete Golden Turkey listing of horrible titles and just sticking to sequel numeric suffix titles:
Highlander 2: The Quickening
City Slickers 2: The Search For Curly's Gold
Star Wars 2: Attack Of The Clones (I always read it as clowns, conjuring the image of a tiny Starfleet ship pulling up and hundreds of clowns piling out of it)
Dinoshark Vs Sharktopus (hell, pretty much 90% of Syfy's oeuvre)

(and before I throw it away, my sig link has a suggestion :D)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Free Willy makes me snort a little.

That was my thought. I knew a couple of teen boys from the UK visiting America around when that came out who were desperate for posters to bring home.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not yet mentioned (many of my faves already have been):

Snakes on a Plane
Dude, Where's My Car?

and the current:

Gangster Squad

They couldn't come up with anything better than that?

Then there's always Great Expectations, the recent remake reset in modern times, allegedly based on the classic Charles Dickens novel. Probably the most mistitled movie ever, because nobody seems to have had any great expectations for it, and it tanked completely at the box office. Not even the astonishing "novelization" released, having the same title, helped anything.

Yes, Virginia, somebody indeed did produce a "novelization" of a bad movie adaptation of a classic Charles Dickens novel, and used the same title. I saw it in an airport bookshop, right alongside the James Pattersons and Clive Cusslers.

caw

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The title Snakes on a Plane is my entire motivation for even watching that movie. :D

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The entire theater burst out laughing when, after the typical gun fights and explosions subsided in the preview for a Steven Seagal film and the title popped up: Exit Wounds.

I personally thought the title for Eastwood's Blood Work was horrible, figuring the man was so old it was going to be two hours of him getting a medical exam. I dreaded the sequel, Prostate Exam. But then I saw the movie and thought the title made perfect sense.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
And a while back there was Krakatoa, East of Java, which volcano buffs will know is west of Java.

Yup. This one needs my seconding. An almost unimaginably stupid title, considering that Krakatoa, West of Java would have worked equally well for a truly baaaaad movie. But at least would have been geographically accurate.

caw

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Based on a novel. I quite like this one, actually. Way to show an opposing viewpoint in only a few words!

I second this.

Let's see...

Hot Tub Time Machine
Hope Floats
Cloverfield
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
The Men Who Stare at Goats

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Either The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini or The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies would certainly get into the top ten of any list of dumb titles.

---

Hey, those were classics!

Dumb titles? Roger Corman's women's viking saga had the longest title in history--which he mercifully shortened.

Agree on the '2' category. You'd think Hollywood, with all the money and creativity they have at their disposal, would be able to think of a clever or interesting title for a sequel.

Or not.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope Floats

Hope's not the only thing that floats . . .

How about "The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain." Kind of gives away the ending (although I've not seen it, tbh).

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I second this.

Let's see...

Hot Tub Time Machine
Hope Floats
Cloverfield
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
The Men Who Stare at Goats

Both of these are pretty horrendous.