Question for the masses....Or whoever feels like answering! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
College drop-out, lackluster high school education. Best advice I ever received was from an old newspaperman (multiple-award-winning, at that) who told me if I had the slightest dream of writing novels I should stay as far as possible from the hallowed halls of university. He said, and I quote: "Those bastards will beat that dream right out of you."

I immediately named myself his padawan and grew a rat-tail . . .

Scott

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
College drop-out, lackluster high school education. Best advice I ever received was from an old newspaperman (multiple-award-winning, at that) who told me if I had the slightest dream of writing novels I should stay as far as possible from the hallowed halls of university. He said, and I quote: "Those bastards will beat that dream right out of you."

I immediately named myself his padawan and grew a rat-tail . . .

Scott
I'm studying literature in college and, although they've tried to beat the dream out of me, I'm too stubborn to let them. I'm going to be a writer even if all I get at the end of my life is a single self-published copy of each of my novels gathering dust in my shelves.

Incidentally, they've also tried to knock away my love for Harry Potter, and I haven't let them either.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Yeah my feeling is that English lit might be the worst thing for a writer to study in college.

I wish I'd taken more history, and possibly Medieval Studies, classes. Curren novel is spinning off a Scandinavian Studies class I took as a breadth course.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Interestingly (or not) I'd intended to be an English major. But my first year English prof turned me off so thoroughly, I switched my major to Journalism - where, ironically, I could write with fewer shackles.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
B.A. in English and German, minor in Music History. Mein Gott, ich habe mein Deutsch vergessen, am meistens! Still remember dear Chopin, though. ;)

Went on to graduate school in English, but soon learned that academia was not for me -- I spent most of my time writing SF epics instead of the required scholarly papers. That didn't fly too well, and the MFA program at my university was infamous for its postmodern don't-contaminate-us-with-genre bias.

I profited from the wide reading in my English classes and from learning the substructure of language by studying French, German and Latin. How to write fiction, that I learned by doing, doing, doing, reading, reading, reading, doing some more. No diplomas or ivy-covered walls necessary.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I've got, count them, three post-graduate degrees in Medieval Studies (Including a license to practice medieval studies. That often comes in handy when there is an emergency Latin translation by the side of the highway.) and guess what, I write medieval historical fiction.

What does that mean? It means I know right where to go to look for certain information; it means I know when Wikepedia is failing me; it means I have over the years cultivated a strong idea of what *I* think the period was like; and it means I know a bunch of useful languages. Mostly I think these things save me time and angst.

But when it comes to a lot of things, I'm as ignorant as anyone about the period, especially when it comes to questions of daily life. There is a lot of material that academics don't cover.

Bottom line is that I don't think you need any formal education to write anything. But I do think it helps to have a general and life-long desire to learn. If you think you know everything you'll ever need to know right now, whether it is about the craft of writing or about the way the works works, I don't think you're going to be much of a writer. Many people who want to learn do end up at a university. But many don't, or can't, for a whole variety of reasons and who cares.

Diver

keyboard crawler
Registered
Reaction score
I have degrees, but not related to writing. I don't even have English studies (of any kind). My teachers live in my bookshelf. They still have a lot to say to novice like me.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I love words, so if I was going to take a college course it would be Latin.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread has convinced me to take Intro to Philosophy instead of a world lit class. :D

Locusta

Expat writer in NL
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maastrichtminutiae.com
I've got an Anthropology BA and a Masters of Library Science and I've been happy to have that influence on my writing. Mostly it means I feel the need to really develop cultures. My MLS keeps me in a day job.

I blame my eight grade English teacher for beating the love of writing out of me for some 10 years. I feel way behind now. :rant:

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
To preface, it is not my intention to offend anyone with this question. I don't think it's offensive, but you never know...some might. I am truly interested in the answer from as many as will share! I did a search on the forums for a similar question but couldn't find anyhthing related. So my apologies if this has already been discussed.

How many of you have a college degree? Not necesessarily a degree in English or a creating/performing arts.

I'm curious to find out how many people are pursuing their passion for writing without the benefit of college/university coursework.

Thanks!

Interesting question. I have gone to college, but don't have a degree. I did complete my education for my profession though, which I guess is now equivilent to an associate's degree. I'm a respiratory therapist, and went to a hospital based school over 20 years ago. Now, almost all therapists come from regular schools and do a two year program.

I've also taken other classes, so I probably have what would be about three years of college. None of those classes had anything to do with writing. In fact, the last English class I took was my junior year of highschool. :Shrug:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I think there is one important thing academia (rather than particular useful classses) has taught me -- and that's not to be too daunted or defensive about my own staggering ignorance.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working towards getting an English degree if that counts? I'm the top of my class. *feels smug* :tongue. Lol.

XX

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
To preface, it is not my intention to offend anyone with this question. I don't think it's offensive, but you never know...some might. I am truly interested in the answer from as many as will share! I did a search on the forums for a similar question but couldn't find anyhthing related. So my apologies if this has already been discussed.

How many of you have a college degree? Not necesessarily a degree in English or a creating/performing arts.

I'm curious to find out how many people are pursuing their passion for writing without the benefit of college/university coursework.

Thanks!

I haven't even finished school yet (It's the middle of my freshmen year in high school). I have no idea whether I'll go to college or if I'll major in English. No idea whether I'll drop out of high school either.

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a bachelor's in history, and I'm a thesis away from my Master's in History. Unfortunately my writing has derailed me from finishing my thesis, even though I try to give myself a nudge every now and then.

I think the most important thing I got out of school was learning how to write grammatically correct sentences. So many writers have great ideas but just can't seem to get them out because of flawed grammar. I've seen many a story get lost within the hells of passive voice, comma splices, and adverbs.

Writing about history helped to beat those bad habits out of me. :)

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
IMVHO the usefulness of a degree, college or otherwise, depends on many factors, some of which have already been mentioned above.

I have multiple degrees, an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts, two Bachelor's Degrees, one in English/German and one in Computer Science, and an MBA with a concentration in MIS. I also completed studies for a secondary ed teaching degree in English but never pursued a teaching career because I ended up owning a business instead.

For me personally, getting the degrees have helped insofar as the studies taught me many things I can apply to my writing (jury is still out on the success/failure :), hope to have an answer soon!).

My English degree required me to do a lot of reading outside of my comfort zone at the time (translation: hot steamy romance novels). I also had to analyze works and write research papers on the findings, among other things. As an English major my writing was required to be as flawless as possible, which helped me obtain a solid foundation for the grammar/spelling stuff (not claiming to be perfect here, just less angst-ridden about that aspect of writing!). I also took German, Spanish, French and Greek, which exposed me to other cultures, more fodder for the future.

I did take one creative writing class, and although I did well I was told by my instructor that I should not waste my time trying to become a novelist at my age because I did not have enough life experience (I was 22).

My teaching classes included a lot of psychology, and my student teaching was an experience I will never forget that has been tucked away for future use (I was placed at my old high school and given very challenging students.).

My computer science degree taught me logic and problem solving, which has been very helpful in plotting and putting pieces together. This may sound strange to some but the skills I learned and have applied for the past 10+ years as a programmer have made putting a novel together a much smoother process (again, the jury is still out! :)). For example, programming requires a lot of 'if-then-elseif-else', something I do a lot in plotting.

And of course the life experiences that go along with getting my degrees have planted fodder in my brain for later use, although life experiences come from everywhere, not just school. I never served in the military, for example, and I am sure that that experience would produce a lot of fodder for an aspiring novelist!

Everyone is different and has different life experiences, and as previous posters have already stated, I don't think that having a degree or not impedes a career as a writer. I feel that one of the unique qualities a writer has is the ability to absorb and translate experiences into words that eventually become books of all kinds.

I'll let you know how it works out for me if you're interested. :D

SomeoneElse

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what you call a degree. I have two associate degrees. One in science and one in business. I began college as an English major but the more I thought about teaching high school football players about Shakespeare, the more I thought I should change my major.

I have so many credits, I need one more math, one year of language, and ALL my 300 and 400 level classes. I suppose I could have done it years ago, but I'm too old to worry about it now.

My writing, such as it is, is not based on my college transcript.
SE

Reaction score
In my opinion, any educational courses are a benefit. Whether a benefit from learning somthing of value in the course or learning that the course was of no value to you at all...there's always a benefit.

I see no benefit in wasting my time getting a degree that I know now would be a waste of time.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Radio/TV Engineering, and only took one creative writing class in college.

I believe strongly that going to college helps a person learn more about different aspects of the world. However, it's not a requirement to become a great writer.

Going to college helps you learn, but then so does travel. So does having a family. So does meeting people. So does snorting coke off a twenty-year-old Adonis's rippling six pack with Linkin Park blasting out of your CD speakers. Anyone can learn from any experience as long as they want to get the best they can out of life. College and university aren't anything special.

I think degrees help, but they are not necessary.

How do degrees help? One can still get there (wherever 'there' is) without a degree, which shows, as you said, that they're not necessary. I just wonder what studying for a degree teaches you that living a life outside of academia and getting down to the business of writing wouldn't.

No degree.

Multi-published.

(I seem to feel terse tonight.)

Terse my arse. It was to the point. :D

I love words, so if I was going to take a college course it would be Latin.

Me too, I think. English is a bastardised language and most of it was lifted from Latin. Plus, mastering that makes it easier to learn other romance languages.

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
I think Scarlet and Narnia both hit on something. I've got a B.A. in Film and a J.D., and for all the good they've done me, I might as well roll them up and smoke them. But, while earning those degrees, a broader opportunity for experience was opened that I'm not sure would be available to me had I not chosen to pursue higher education. I moved to England for a while, studied in the Amazon,Turkey and the Galapagos. These kinds experiences aren't exclusive to higher education, but they seem to be more frequent to those who go to college, etc.

Personally, traveling helped me grow as a writer. But is it necessary? Of course not. There isn't a recipe or formula for what makes a writer good.

Status
Not open for further replies.