Monumentally frustrated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevacho

Registered
Reaction score
I'm putting this inquiry on a few different boards because I would like to get a few different perspectives.

I am having an issue. I made a contact with a "Story Editor" at New Line Cinemas through a writers conference here in Portland. We have been emailing and phoning back and forth for over a year now. I would not be pursuing this if in fact he had "passed" on my screenplay. He has not. He actually told me that his readers "responded" to my screenplay and that he wanted to read it and see what sort of "response" he got from it, and that he would call me within the next few days. That was three months ago. I have emailed him three times and phoned him twice since then, with absolutely no response.

I know nothing happens quickly in this business. I know this man could be ill, or a family member could be ill, but I feel as if I have been more than professional with him, and that he has not reciprocated. I am at my wits end. This is, obviously, a very big thing for me, and I don't want to blow it. But I also don't want to be treated like a chump (for lack of a better word).

Might anyone have some words of sage advice for me? I want to keep this contact, but at this point, I would appreciate a positive or a negative from this gentleman… just something to tell me that I've been considered and passed, or that he's still considering… anything at all!

Regards,

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
That he's not responding is a bad sign, but not atypical. Nothing you can do about, so keep shopping it around.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Kevin, this really didn't belong in Bewares & Background Check, and I see you've already posted it in Scriptwriting, so I've moved it to the Roundtable for wider discussion.

- Victoria

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when somebody tells you they are going to get back to you in a few days, then never call you back OR respond to multiple attempts to contact them, it's probably over. In the regular publishing world, this would be a "no."

f you can face it, move on to the next potential contact.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I think you've done all you can do. If they want to find you, they will. Time to try someone new. Hang in there.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Kevin,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when somebody tells you they are going to get back to you in a few days, then never call you back OR respond to multiple attempts to contact them, it's probably over. In the regular publishing world, this would be a "no."

Unless you're trying for a date, whichcase all it means is you need to find their window and figure out where they work and what their schedule is.

:D

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
See, I would agree with everyone else and I do, except for the fact that you were talking on the phone and e-mailing for a year. That's a long time. It is an interesting coincidence that after he's read your screenplay and supposed to get back to you all communication ends, but being me, I would wonder if something bad happened. Do you know anyone else who is in contact with this man? If so, ask then if they know if he's okay. Also, if you've been calling him at home, call his workplace (as long as it's not a completely different job lol...you don't want to get stalker-ish) and simply ask about his well-being. If he's alive and well, yep move on. Well, I'd move on anyway cuz if something bad happened he obviously won't be doing anything with your screenplay.

I guess this only applies to you if you're concerned about him as a person, lol. Otherwise, just shop your screenplay around without any more worry about what's happened.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having been in the same boat, I'd consider this person to be some one who's a "foot in the door", but not necessarily a "step up", if you know what I mean. It's likely that he's read the 'script and needs to pass on it, but likes you in a personal capacity and doesn't want to say anything that might hurt your feelings. It's one thing to give a form letter to someone you don't know from Adam, but another thing to do it to someone you know.

What I did in the situation was to make the decision about whether or not I wanted to press on with that project or move forward with another one. When I decided to press a little, I sat down and reread it with a critical eye and when I had a chance to talk to my in-the-know friend, I started the conversation with something like "Remember that book I wrote a while ago? TITLE? I was looking over it again and I've noticed --" and started an analysis of what I'd found that I thought needed improvement. That lead into a discussion about where the work had fallen short, where my strengths as an author was (invaluable information!) and that this project wasn't that great but she held out a great deal of hope and interest for the next one.

Don't know if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.