• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

Vomaxx

A query to Curtis Brown Ltd. (in NYC, not England) resulted in a request to read my novel and a 1-month exclusive. The agent, Nathan Bransford, said that the agent I had actually written to at Curtis Brown had declined but passed my letter on to him.

As far as I can see, Curtis Brown is a very good agency, and the fact that Mr. Bransford is not listed on any directory I consult would mean merely that he is newly-joined. It seems very appropriate that an unknown author (me) might be passed on to a junior agent. I am flattered to have a positive answer.

However, getting a request for a full read on the basis of my query letter is a new experience--four other agents requested partials, and I have not heard more from any of them yet--and I just thought I'd ask if anyone had any information on Curtis Brown and/or Mr. Bransford.

Thanks.

spywriter

manuscripts

When I queried this last time, (i am new too)I had two agents ask for the whole thing, two ask for first three, one ask for first 150 pages and one ask for first chapter. Clearly it varies from agency to agency.

All but one was a reputable agency...

callalily61

Re: manuscripts

Congrats!

(They just rejected me today. Oh, well...)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Curtis Brown Ltd. (New York)

Does indeed seem to be a venerable agency, with Google references to going back to 1938. No web page, though. (Most agencies at this level don’t.)

There is also a "Curtis Brown Ltd." in San Francisco, but I can't tell if it's a branch office or not. Anyone?

Spidercat

Registered
Reaction score
Curtis Brown Ltd vs Curtis Brown Group Ltd

Does anyone know if Curtis Brown Ltd. and Curtis Brown Group Ltd are the same literary agency or two seperate ones? I'm interested in submitting to one or the other since they both represent children's books, but I don't want to accidentally send two queries to the same agency. Curtis Brown Group Ltd is based in Europe and has an address in London. Curtis Brown Ltd. is based in New York, but I don't know if these are just seperate offices of the same overall agency.

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure they're separate. I'm in the UK and emailed the US Curtis Brown about a year ago. I'm sure they told me they work independent to one another.

Seqkat

Spidercat said:
Does anyone know if Curtis Brown Ltd. and Curtis Brown Group Ltd are the same literary agency or two seperate ones?

That was a great question! I was confused with that too.

I've searched on Google, and it's hard to find good info. on this agency. Does anyone know if this is a good agency? Do they make a lot of sales?

Thank you, so much!

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Top class agency.

Do the happy dance if they show interest in your work.

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
QUESTION:

Did Ginger Clark change her name to Ginger Knowlton? That is how she is listed in the new Writer's Market. Is it a mistake?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
She is still listed as attending World FantasyCon as Ginger Clark

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Wow, now THAT was fast... :)

Dear Jenna:

This is the second time in a week this has come up--yes, there are two Gingers at Curtis Brown. We are entirely separate people. This is the first time in both of our careers where we are working in an office with another Ginger!

Thanks for asking, though.

Ginger

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Ginger Clark has a partial of mine. I took the risk of emailing my query, keeping it short and sweet as she hasn't decided whether or not she's going to like accepting email queries. Within a day, I had a response. We swapped a few emails about technicalities and exclusives, etc. She's very professional. The exclusive runs out next week so we'll see.

J.

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

plugger

Registered
Reaction score
Today, I submitted a query via email and heard back within an hour requesting the first chapter. We'll see.

plugger

Registered
Reaction score
Oh well, got turned down, but with a nice note. All in one afternoon.

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I queried Nathan Bransford about two weeks ago. He requested to see a partial of my manuscript. It was rejected, but he was very nice and courteous and he assured me that I write very well and he thinks that I will get a literary agent. I'm happy about the response, even though it was a rejection slip.

Apryl

KellyG

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of Curtis Brown if they're the English one. They're in my Writers and Artists Yearbook and seem really good with some real big name authors. Good luck y'all!

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Nathan Bransford very nicely and very professinonally rejected me, but that's okay. What I was submitting was category, so I wasn't too surprised. I'd submit again with something else.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Bransford was very fast and professional. I got a rejection back on my e-mail sub in about two hours. He's on the ball.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Nathan Bransford is one of the kindest, classiest people in this business, in my opinion.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
How about Michele Beno? She turned up on an agent query search of mine as being an agent with CB, but I can't find much else about her.

Last edited:

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I may be impatient, but I'm still going to bump this thread in the hopes that someone knows something about Ms. Beno.