The downside of sharing a first and last name with someone.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a very common name. Married and maiden names. My best friend in high school has almost the exact same name, except that her last (maiden) name lacked the "son" at the end. Anyhoo, my junior year was not a good one for me, academically, and I was getting a D in chemistry.

She's the one that got the note about "her" terrible grade from the school and got called on the carpet by her parents. This girl was/is supersmart (like Mensa for reals smart) and so her parents were completely furious and bewildered that their formerly brilliant daughter was suddenly about to get a big fat F in one of her best subjects. :roll:

That's how we met, and we're still friends to this day. So, no real downside for me, having such a common name. A pretty big plus, actually.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I share my name with a 1970s rock star, but have only once been mistaken for him (and that was only for about ten seconds).

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I know a writer, based in Hull, England, called Jason Gould. Jason Gould is also an American actor/director who is the son of Barbra Streisand and Elliott Gould, and who is also gay.

The Jason I know has had people pitch films and TV shows to him and has people tell him he is an inspiration to gay actors everywhere,,,

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
There's nothing like hearing the phone ring, looking at the caller ID, and seeing your own name. It's like a feeling of temporary insanity.

I got such a call when something I ordered online was delivered to a lady with the same name (even the same middle initial!). I had a PO Box on file with the company, and instead of contacting me to ask for my street address, the company took a wild guess and sent the package to this other person. I'm glad that she was honest and called around to people with the same name in order to find the true owner of that package. Sometimes people are nice. :)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A google of my name turns up a multitude of hits, and none in at least the first four pages is me. And that is fine.

At one time there were three of us that I knew of, in different professions, here in the Phoenix area. AFIK no one ever confused us.

That's what happens when your first name is common as dirt, and your married name is in the category with Brown and Green for commonness.

MM