Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
There's usually a NaNo Dares thread in the NaNoWriMo subforum, but it would make sense to have SF/F themed dares, too.

The first one which springs to mind is to have a reference to the CHAOS bar (whatever it's currently called).

Oooo... I think I'll accept that challenge. And I add one of my own:

How about having a character (important or not) make fun of sci-fi/fantasy then get his/her ass kicked for it. :D

My favorite from last year is still the Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom. Particularly as I managed to include it in a serious scene without totally weirding it out.

Just for Isaac and his crazy monkey self we need to include bananas with zippers somewhere in the writing.

Also, I would like to see some middle-aged dude with a really bad toupee or combover... who thinks his hair is downright shmexy, and why aren't the wimmenz falling over themselves to be able to touch his hair?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Just for Isaac and his crazy monkey self we need to include bananas with zippers somewhere in the writing.

Also, I would like to see some middle-aged dude with a really bad toupee or combover... who thinks his hair is downright shmexy, and why aren't the wimmenz falling over themselves to be able to touch his hair?

remind me nearer the time, because OMG those could fit in my story seemlessly.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going for NaNo this year--my first time. I'm leaning towards doing a modern retelling of Journey to the West, only not with cheezy white guys traveling back in time a la 'Forbidden Kingdom' or 'The Monkey King'.

Question: I'm round-about 20,000 words into my current WIP (adult fantasy novel!), and come november will probably be approaching the halfway mark on it (plus i have a brief outline for the whole thing). if i drop it for a month to do NaNo, will I be able to get back into it? or do ya think i will feel blah about it and be disinterested, and thus my WIP will die a hasty death?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Kitty Pryde, when I did NaNo 2006 I was also halfway through my first draft of my novel. I set the draft aside to do NaNo, then came back to the draft by the end of December/beginning of January and finished it by the end of March. The break was helpful in a couple of ways: I was starting to get tired of the draft so I needed something fresh, and doing 50,000 words of extra writing practice meant that the second half of the draft was much better written than the first half.

So if you're in the middle of something, I suggest writing notes about where you want the draft to go before setting it aside.

Good luck!

J C Coy

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't decided if I'm doing it this year or not. If I do, it will be the third ms in a series.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I'm going to say Januray's a poor time because it's right after holidays.

Also because I'm going to be gone every weekend I can possibly be gone. (Guys, Tahoe is right there and my snowboard wants to go home.)

I'll suggest March. My suggestion may be somewhat void of altruism.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully next March Soccer Mom will host another AW March FADness competition (Flash A Day). That was fun.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering trying this NaNoWriMo thing. When doesn't worry me, as long as it's not January.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Well, the actual NaNoWriMo is in November. It was the kick in the butt I needed to get dreams of writing out of my head and into my fingers.

I was just proposing setting up something "local" for another month, for those who either can't do it in November or who want another kick at the can.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I had been wondering, since there seems to be one somewhere every month of the year. :)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'm toying with the concept of writing something that contains a bit of the mundane and a bit of the fantastic. Or merging tropes from different genres into something altogether new.

I will be using 2 hats....or a random number generator.

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing it...but i'm not writing my sequel. That book is going to be entirely too long, and I can't do it justice in a month.

I'm going to write EITHER the urban fantasy I've had kicking around in my head or the YA fantasy. I've got both in various stages of outlining, and 50-75k ought to be about perfect for length.

So we shall see. :) I also need to apply for law school during this time. Heh.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't finished any of my three NaNo attempts though I hit 50K on each of them. This year, I'm hoping to hit both 50K and THE END.

Unfocused Me

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theunfocusedlife.com
Still making up my mind whether to do it this year; it would be my first attempt. If I do it, I'll probably write from an idea for a comic urban fantasy novel that I've been carrying around in my head for a while. It'll be a nice change from my current WIP.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

thought I'd jump on board. This is my first NaNo and I have three ideas vying for my attention

Idea 1) Near future First Contact Story that morphs to a Space Opera.
Idea 2) Alien Invasion that is a preemptive strike from the future
Idea 3) Reincarnation story involving Mankinds struggle against oppressive aliens

they're all running for the NaNo finish line. Not sure which one will make it to the finish line Oct 31st.

Anyways, I'm excited. BRING IT!!!

Mel...

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

thought I'd jump on board. This is my first NaNo and I have three ideas vying for my attention

Idea 1) Near future First Contact Story that morphs to a Space Opera.
Idea 2) Alien Invasion that is a preemptive strike from the future
Idea 3) Reincarnation story involving Mankinds struggle against oppressive aliens

they're all running for the NaNo finish line. Not sure which one will make it to the finish line Oct 31st.

Anyways, I'm excited. BRING IT!!!

Mel...

Mel, you're frothing at the mouth again. Almost two months to go. Deep breaths, breathe...

:D

All three sound interesting. Good luck!

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
... waitingwaitingwaiting ... <checks clock, day to go, drat> ... waitingwaitingwaiting ...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just signed up the other night. (Fetu) I've done NaNo a couple times unofficially, but this time I decided to officially join the insanity. Of course, back when I first did it (2000), I don't remember there being a website or big community either, so *shrug*

My idea is new and fairly fresh and outside of pulling together a list of names, the core world concept and the original geek idea, I'm not doing anything to prepare the story. It's the way I used to write, many lifetimes ago, and I want to see if I can still pull something off well.

Viral

Incoherant author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shiresu.net
I'm so scared.. and excited... but mostly scared... but a whole lot excited!
/redundancy

My NaNo project is fully outlined. ^^
The premise is about a train that travels from world to world, and the main characters who are deliverymen for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.