Not open for further replies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I'd rather give it away for free than sell it at $0.99.

I am curious as to why. I assume you have no work where you think this is fair value but do you assume the same of all other people's works?

Because for one of my short works that has been on sale for many years and spent time as a freebie to promote my website, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable price.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I am curious as to why. I assume you have no work where you think this is fair value but do you assume the same of all other people's works?

Because for one of my short works that has been on sale for many years and spent time as a freebie to promote my website, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable price.

I hear "book", I think either novel or collection. So depending how short, $0.99 might strike me as perfectly reasonable.

After seeing what the "race to the bottom" does in venues like the App Store, I'm not eager for the same to happen with books.

Conversely, "free" is a very different psychological pricepoint than $0.99 - 0.99. Something that's free could be worth anything.

Last edited:

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Loss leaders are one of the oldest and most effective marketing techniques that exist. They are most effective when lowering the price on the first book in a series or a set of connected books. I have done free and .99 and both increased sales of the other books in the series far beyond what I "lost" on the decreased price. And I don't feel there was any loss at all as the people who bought the book on sale were likely people trying it because it was discounted and who otherwise wouldn't have given me a try.

The very first time I went free, I had five backlist books up, three were series. I was making about $2500-3k a month average on them. I made the first book in the series free and my sales shot up that month to $40k. On five previously published books. They dwindled down a bit, but since then, my sales have never fallen below $18k in a single month, and I went two years with only one new self-published work released.

My story is not unique. It's quite common among writers with series and connected books. And yes, authors whose trade publishers are doing it are seeing increases in sales of their other works. They talk on author loops.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think that as more people used the loss leader strategy it grew more competitive and less effective. I hear now "2.99 is the new .99".

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
I think that as more people used the loss leader strategy it grew more competitive and less effective. I hear now "2.99 is the new .99".

It depends on an individual's definition of effective, of course, but my last .99 promo was 9/30/13. I sold 11k books in one week and sales of the other books in the series shot up within three days and increased 500% over the course of the following month.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Scott Pack of The Friday Project (his own imprint at HarperCollins) has been experimenting for a few years with free and 99p books as promotional tools and is convinced they're good things. He blogs as Me And My Big Mouth, and has a lot of interesting stuff to say--his blog is well worth reading.

I've not read his posts about this recently, but from what I remember he found low-priced and free books work best for authors with several other more highly-priced books available, as others have said in this thread.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing I like is the pay-what-you-like approach. Some of my favorite bands do that with their albums. The Humble Bundle is a software example.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
If we're talking loss leaders, I think it could be effective, but you have to have the other good material and general marketing to back that up.

If you're playing the 5-10 books a year game, or if you have a big backlist and at least one or two series, then it could be very effective.

If you're a debut author, self- or trad-pubbed, then it might not be the best way to go. Even if you get visibility, and you plan to have a lot more books out soon, you risk missing the interest window in follow-ups at more sustainable price points.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
One thing I keep hearing among readers of SP e-books is, "I'll wait 'til it's free."

I think this is sort of the double-edged sword with self-pricing.

This week the SP book is $4.99.

Next week it's free.

A week later it's back up to $3.99.

A month later it's free.

Anyone watching said book will probably wait until it's free and get it then. If I know a book is bouncing back and forth like that I'm not going to get it until it's free.

*shrugs* But I know nothing....

;)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I experimented with this on my self-publishing endeavor and saw a boost of sales for titles that weren't moving very well when dropping to $0.99 for a time. Then when it went back up, and sales held steady for a time on my other books before dropping off.

Now, to defend that, in case people want to point and say "AH HA SEE IT DOESN'T WORK", I did no other promotional push. I didn't chase it. It still worked for a short time. On one vendor I saw the best sales of my short experimental career during that month, all on the title offered at $0.99.

It seems to me that as writers, trying to apply our reasoning on why we would or wouldn't buy a book, is not really grounded. We all have our opinions about selling and marketing and promotion and what works and what doesn't work.

But there is actual reasoning behind why price points of #.99 work when #.59 may not. I have just barely scratched the surface on this but from what I've seen and heard and read, there's a whole psychology on marketing and pricing to entice people to buy.

So don't dismiss this sales tactic out of hand just because 'you wouldn't buy it'. You are not the plethora of readers out there who might because of their perceived values on items. I don't have experience on this but your publishing houses usually have a marketing and sales department that understands these things. Just because it might not work for trade publishing at this time, doesn't mean it won't be something investigated in the future.

In fact, I just downloaded a 'free ebook' from an author that was released from HarperCollins. :Shrug:

Loss leader pricing as jana13k mentioned is effective because it works. Um...didn't Amazon build themselves up to be the powerhouse they are today using this very principle?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I saw you retweeted me!

I did indeed. (That took me a minute, I'm terrible for connecting different Twitter accounts to AW usernames.)

I'd love to see Tor, Solaris, Angry Robot or any of the social-media-savvy pubs discussing the news. They all do regular deals where titles are dropped to 99p, so I imagine this isn't astonishing news to them.

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that it's important, as writers and as business people, to keep in mind the various techniques used to help generate sales. As we have seen already, the world of publishing is changing, especially in regards to self-publishing. I'm not saying one is better or any such thing, only that it's changing.

And how people view self-publishing and book pricing is changing, too. We are seeing this with publishers who dabble in pricing strategies.

Take for example Michael Connolly. His recent short story and first part of his new book is currently taking a pounding in the reviews.

I think a lot of things tie into this. It wasn't just a short story offered. The publisher included the first part of another book with a different character. And at the price point of $0.99, which is considered cheap.

I have to wonder, if the publisher had left the short story and sold at that price, if he still would have have gotten such a backlash. According to the reviews it appears people feel cheated and it seems most likely because they thought they were buying something completed. It's hard to say otherwise because tempers are running high at feeling ripped off and it's kind of hard to pin down why.

Was the short story substandard for Connolly? According to a few of the reviews, it was. Was it that the novel excerpt was just that, an excerpt, and it wasn't clear in the product description that it was just an excerpt? Was it that both offerings weren't for the same character? (the short was a Harry Bosch story, the novel excerpt was part of his Lincoln Lawyer series)

It looks like buyers had no problem plopping down their $0.99 to get something. But regardless of the price, they felt they were stiffed for what they paid for because they didn't get something that was finished/complete.

Then let's look at Baen who gave books away for free and this was long before it became a such a thing for self-publishers to do. Apparently it was successful for them, they kept doing it.

If we are going to keep hammering at the old saw that writing is an art and publishing is a business, we can't lose sight that businesses are going to experiment with pricing to see what best effectively moves books. Isn't that what we, as writers, want? People reading our stuff? People buying our stuff?

Also, Kathryn Rusch has a several part blog series she's doing called Discoverability. In part 7, she discusses pricing. I thought it was a very interesting read. She's not adhering to the 'party line of pricing' for self-publishers, many of whom have had great success with different pricing strategies that she advises against.

What is most driven home to me by the current discussions in pricing ebooks, especially for self-publishers, is that publishers (self and trade) are still trying to figure out that sweet spot and that sweet spot is moving around in an effort to find the best place to settle.

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
...from what I remember [Scott Pack of The Friday Project (his own imprint at HarperCollins)] found low-priced and free books work best for authors with several other more highly-priced books available, as others have said in this thread.

I believe you’ve put your finger on the key point.

It may work better if the free/cheap book is similar to the other books, maybe even the same series. And even better the first book of the series.

Every few weeks I discover a new author I know will become a favorite. Usually I somehow missed that first book and spend the next week or two tracking down and requesting holds in the public library on all the first few books. Or buying them as ebooks if the prices are inexpensive enough.

Sometimes the books are worth reading again and again. Then I buy the hardback, because it will stand up to re-reading better than trade or mass-market paperbacks.

I’m considering the free/cheap option right now. My main question is which book to choose. The first YA book in the series, maybe? On the hopes that younger readers will grown into the books featuring older main characters?

I’m also wondering whether to make the book free and offer it on my web site, with the proviso that others can send copies to their friends as long as they keep the ebook exactly as it is, with its copyright and Other-Books-By pages intact.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I'm trying the $0.99 route for the moment with a small collection. It's half a dozen short stories (some very short) along with excerpts from a currently available and an upcoming novel).

It's meant as a sampler.

It's not doing a lot, but it's early days, too.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I will be honest, when I'm shopping for a kindle book on amazon, if I see the price is $0.99, my initial reaction is to assume it's not good or worth the money. It's kind of crazy how pricing things too low can actually be counterproductive.

So, no, I wouldn't price my book much lower than the typical 10 bucks that most ebooks are sold at. Not that I wouldn't mind lowering the price for my readers. It's just that I know that perceived value can be huge.

Now, on the other hand, if you're talking about making a limited time SALE of $0.99, then that changes everything.

Also, there's a TON of research that suggest that selling your product at a price with a 7 at the end of it is actually the best (i.e. $9.97, $4.97, etc.). Again, this is based on actual data and research and, as much as a part of me would like to rebel and say "screw that, I am going to treat my readers with more respect than that," if you aren't already famous (and have the power to do whatever you want), it would probably be a good idea to go along with the things that are proven to work.

For more info on this type of thing, I suggest reading the book Cashvertising. Lot's of good sales and promotion type info in the book and how to write in a way to compel people to buy what you are selling.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I wouldn't price my book much lower than the typical 10 bucks that most ebooks are sold at.

I just spent a half hour researching this. The typical eprice seems to be about $7.00. Stephen King’s 544-page latest as an example is $7.49, the hardback version $14.73, the paperback $13.60.

Ebook prices have been slowly coming down over the last year or so. A very rough rule of thumb is 1/2 the trade hardcover price, 1/3 if self-published.

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, there's a TON of research that suggest that selling your product at a price with a 7 at the end of it is actually the best (i.e. $9.97, $4.97, etc.). Again, this is based on actual data and research and, as much as a part of me would like to rebel and say "screw that, I am going to treat my readers with more respect than that," if you aren't already famous (and have the power to do whatever you want), it would probably be a good idea to go along with the things that are proven to work.

Yep. As as much as it seems sketchy to use pricing points to get people to buy anything, there has been a lot of market research that has gone into the buyer's psychology. However well-meaning and earnest (general) you may be in pricing goods, you are still working against the perception of quality that is in the buyer's mind.

As publishing is a business, it seems to be in the businessperson's best interest to sell. That means sometimes you need to heed what those research results tell you.

I also think it's important to stress again that if we, as writers are looking at these business decisions, it's probably not in our best interest to base our decisions on what we would buy unless we really do represent everybuyer. Otherwise, it's not doing us any favors to assume that the usual, everyday reader/buyer thinks like we do in respect to pricing points on books.

Last edited:

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
It isn't my first inclination to sell a book at 99 cents, which I think is generally undervalued for a well-written work. But at the same time, I believe in using whatever marketing techniques will be most effective. While emotionally I think $2.99 is a reasonable "sale" price point, I'd consider pricing at 99c if I had a good reason for doing so.

Besides, my day job background is in testing. I think it's a bad idea to do wild pricing swings in terms of making one's readers feel cheated if they see the book at a lower price the next month and then back up and on and on. But I also think there's value in testing books at different price points until you've accumulated enough market research to have an idea about what price points consistently generate the most revenue all-in-all.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Also, I have plenty of books on my Kindle that were free or 99c. If I'm at all interested in a book and it's 99c, I buy it... why not? But unless a reader is actually going to read your book, having it purchased at 99c isn't much to celebrate as a writer. I'm curious about the bought vs. read stats of low-priced books.

Status
Not open for further replies.