• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Global Lion Intellectual Pty. Mgmt. (formerly PMA Literary & Film Management)

Mr Lucky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cosmicdrifter.com
It's my understanding that Kelly didn't leave PMA, but took a leave of absence under the FMLA.

Kelly is still there. At least she was there enough to request a full manuscript from me three months ago.

After that I heard nothing. I prompted her with a polite email two weeks ago. Still nothing.

As I mentioned on the disembodied Kelly Skillen thread in the newbies forum, PMA seems to have a good reputation, so I wouldn't refrain from querying them.

However, I wouldn't stop my agent search while they had my manuscript.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sorry for any confusion or near-duplicate posts, I merged the older Kelly Skillen thread in Newbie Forum into this thread.

-Derek

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read the other day in Publishers Marketplace, I believe, Peter Miller is starting or has started a publishing house.

ETA: This is it:
"Two Veterans Plant New House
Former Avon and Berkley publisher Lou Aronica and agent Peter Miller are creating The Story Plant, a publishing company focused on "commercial fiction and author development," intending to "develop writers over multiple books" and "focus on long-term relationships with commercial novelists." Distributed by Perseus Distribution, the line launches this fall with Sienna Skyy's AMERICAN QUEST, a contemporary romantic fantasy, and Jonathan Javitt's medical thriller CAPITOL REFLECTIONS."

Last edited:

novellabob

Registered
Reaction score
Peter Miller/PMA

I have just been told that this agent, who does indeed have great credentials and sales, is publishing his own clients in paperback after the hardcover has run its course. The company is STORY PLANT, formed with Lou Aronica. I checked out a book on Amazon that he represented, and it's true. Isn't this a conflict of interest?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I have just been told that this agent, who does indeed have great credentials and sales, is publishing his own clients in paperback after the hardcover has run its course. The company is STORY PLANT, formed with Lou Aronica. I checked out a book on Amazon that he represented, and it's true. Isn't this a conflict of interest?

Having had books published in paperback by major houses, and having done it myself as a micropub, I can guarantee you that Mr. Miller would make more money from the agent's fee on a paperback sell-through than he would from being a paperback micropublisher. So it stands to reason that the folks he's publishing in paperback didn't get a major publishing paperback deal; therefore, it's hard to see why it's a conflict of interest.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
I'll share my PMA story!

I queried him by e-mail about a year ago.

The phone rang 10 minutes later. "This is Peter Miller. I received your query and I am REALLY interested in this (NF) project!"

I about fell off my chair.

"How quickly can you get it to me?" he asked.

The manuscript was about 600 pages and I asked if I could drop of disc off along with a print out of the proposal. He said, "Fine, fine."

I dropped it off in person the next day with an assistant and sent him an e-mail that I had done so. "Great! Thanks! I can't wait to get to it!"

A month later I e-mailed for an update. He had no idea what I was talking about. Hadn't read the proposal and said, "Oh, we don't read off discs."

I refreshed his memory and he asked for a hard copy so I had the thing printed out ($$) with return postage and dropped it off.

A couple months later, it was rejected by two (2) readers---"well written and compelling, but..." and a "Good luck!" scrawl from Peter.

Anyway, it was all a lesson learned--if the website "looks" busy and a disorganized mess, then the agency itself might be, too.

Last edited:

Wen-2

Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, Kelly Skillen has my manuscript...
I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have any recent info on this agency?

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Recent? What was the turnaround?

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that?

Wouldn't P&E mention that if true? That site has a $ sign (supposedly a good sign).

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
I was once offered representation by them and told I had to pay a $200 retainer "fee". I refused. I have seen this same sort of thing reported elsewhere. (including here, I believe)

-----OOOPS, I misspoke. I was actually speaking of Big Score Productions, not PMA Literary and Film. Mea culpa.

Last edited:

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
It was for a book, and this was several years ago. I have heard of other reports of this happening to others as well.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Wait a second---I think I misspoke. I believe it was actually Big Score Productions that asked me for a retainer fee, not PMA Literary & Film. I apologize if I misled anyone.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
I accidentally queried Peter's e-mail address. He was kind enough to redirect the query, but I found his response odd:

"Thank you for your email and your interest in me at PMA Literary & Film Management, Inc. I have passed your email on to my assistant, who will be in touch if PMA is interested in this. Please use [email protected] for any follow up inquiries. PMA is not taking on any new clients unless they are significant, professional authors with long term careers that write cutting edge films, fiction or non fiction with global marketing potential and motion picture an television production potential. We need to grow PMA with highly motivated and financially rewarding authors that intend on writing a nonfiction book or novel a year for the next ten years. Are you that author? We like authors that write anything about being the change that we all want to see in the world and want to get rich too. "

The e-mail goes on for quite some time, listing interviews, film deals, etc etc.

I just found it very odd to hear an agent say: "...and want to get rich too."
I mean, seriously, that seems rather unrealistic to me

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I accidentally queried Peter's e-mail address. He was kind enough to redirect the query, but I found his response odd:

"PMA is not taking on any new clients unless they are significant, professional authors with long term careers that write cutting edge films, fiction or non fiction with global marketing potential and motion picture an television production potential. .

This part seems to be saying that they are only interested in previously published high producing authors. I may have misunderstood.

Stlight

DawnKJ

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookworld.editme.com
Just received a very nice personalized rejection letter from PMA's Amina Henry, Development Associate. It came just a day after my submission.