Multiple completed novels, 1 partial request

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Okay, forgive me the stupid questions...I'm not new to writing, but I am very new to the wonderful world of querying, especially agents. I've searched for some threads that address this, but it might just be my frazzled, "I really don't want to write another synopsis today" brain that's not comprehending them...
  1. I have three novels completed, all in the same genre, plus a couple more in the works. In the query, do I highlight one of the novels and mention the other two, or pitch all three?
  2. One of the three has already had a partial manuscript request by a publisher, and I'm waiting on a response...mention that? If so, how much info? (i.e., the name of the publisher/imprint?)
Thanks in advance. I'm having a clueless day today.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I was told by an editor at Trend Publications to query one work only. Advise there are more in advanced stages of readiness but don't dwell on it. So that's what I did and it helped for me.

I'd advise an agent that you have a partial out with a publisher. That is a step in the right direction. So, good luck.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Only talk about the novel that you are querying in your initial letter

Don't mention that other folks are looking at a partial, the agent you are querying doesn't need to know that. It only becomes significant if someone has requested the full.

Danthia

Query your best work first, do them one at a time. If there happens to be a series, you can mention it's a series at the end of your query. Partials just mean "you had a good query," but it doesn't say anything about your writing skills. Fulls mean someone saw your work and felt it was worth reading the whole thing. That you mention:)

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I think you should only mention one work in your query. Focus entirely on the one book that's your strongest, and pitch it to the agent in your letter. Anything else will just distract from the main pitch.