Illegal to KNIT?

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I'm currently reading Rose Tremain's Music and Silence (at pdr's suggestion -- thanks, p!) and it talks about how it was illegal to knit in Denmark in the 16th century. Of course I had to wonder if this could possibly be true, and went straight to my good friend google. The only thing I've been able to come up with is that in 1609 it was illegal to knit in Jersey during the harvest because it was a distraction.

Here's a link to the passage from the Rose Tremain book:
http://www.nextreads.com/display2.aspx?recid=21268&FC=1 It's about a third of the way down the page, in the section labeled "The Closed Window". I've excerpted it here:

"They say that Queen Sofie...loved to ...indulge in secret in her passion for knitting. This activity had been proscribed throughout the land as tending to induce in women an idle trance of mind, in which their proper thoughts would fly away and be replaced by fancy. Men called this state "wool gathering." ...On the morning of the twelfth of April 1577, a day of pale sunlight and a tender blue sky, Queen Sofie, eight and a half months pregnant with her third child, set out at nine o'clock with Elizabeth to cross the lake and spend the morning knitting. "

Caveat: I ask this out of my own curiousity, and not because I need the information. Please don't spend time researching if you don't know off the top of your head (unless you're just as curious as me!)

Signed,
Barb (a knitter, and coincidentally writing a story which takes place in 16th century Denmark)

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I loved that book...I seem to remember that some elements of it are slightly fantastical though. Not exactly a true representation of the history of the time, which, given what you want to do, may be just the perfect inspiration.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, too. I've never heard of illegal knitting!

This provides a neat overview of the history of knitting. It also has some beautiful artifacts. The article does not say anything about knitting being illegal, but it does provided at least one clue.

Guilds: Perhaps it was a ban on knitting by anyone who was not properly apprenticed, etc, rather than across the board illegal for anyone? Maybe?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Fascinating...

anyone know the difference between sprang, crochet and knitting?

one or more Bog bodies from Denmark, which I thought were Bronze Age, had kind of knitted caps called sprang work.

In the Dales my grandmother and her friends used knitting sticks to knit with and that was thought to be very old too! She taught me to knit with that fixed left needle too.

As for the novel, I would think Rose T had found an edict somewhere but am too darn busy to check.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
From a reference I found:
Sprang is an intricate form of plaiting which is made with threads which are stretched in tension and secured at both ends. Sometimes called twined plaiting, it is a technique in which the lengthways threads are twisted in such a way that a net-like textile is produced. The elasticity of this method of plaiting becomes apparent when the tension of the threads is released and the fabric can be stretched across it's width.

Pup

Registered
Reaction score
"This activity had been proscribed throughout the land as tending to induce in women an idle trance of mind, in which their proper thoughts would fly away and be replaced by fancy. Men called this state "wool gathering."

So was wool gathering illegal too? ;) It strikes me funny that one literal activity was compared to another literal activity, with a phrase that had just barely worked its way into a metaphorical meaning. And yes, I know, "wool gathering" may not be a literal translation from the Danish, but still...

I'm also wondering if there was actually an economic basis for the law, like dolores haze's mention of guilds. If true, perhaps the law banned women because they prevented men from making a living at it? When did the knitting frame come in--was that involved? Seems odd to ban something supposed to cause idle thoughts that would, in fact, create useful products in spare time. All just speculation based on human nature; I know nothing about the sixteenth century.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Egad

I could get arrested during the harvest!!!!!!! But my scarf isn't done yet and it'll be winter someday. What a dumb law

:Jaw:

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
Seems odd to ban something supposed to cause idle thoughts that would, in fact, create useful products in spare time. All just speculation based on human nature; I know nothing about the sixteenth century.

Although I do have to admit that knitting can be quite a distraction for me from other productive endeavors -- like oh, say, writing :)

Signed,
Barb (knitter, and prone to wandering mind)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
There were...

edicts in Elizabethan England about not knitting in church.

Sounds seriously heavily obsessive Puritan to me!