• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Big Bang Press

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
This is an ***interesting thread*** especially since I've been following this a while.

Cassie/EL James were both "discovered", so never really experienced the actual submission-rejection cycle that is the more honest ad realistic route.

If worst comes to worst, 3 writers will get some money, some other people will have an experience aaannnnd they may all come away with a Glorious Experience. Or it could be a really shitty one.

Last edited:

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I thought printing fanfiction was illegal if one didn't have the proper permission from the original author. If someone wrote a novel based on my characters from my novel, I'd be calling a lawyer.

My publisher is really small, I write Christian fantasy and trust me when I say, the smaller the publisher, the better. I didn't get an advancement, but I do get 10% royalties. So I'm lost as to why someone has to pay this publisher to get these three books published. My publisher uses the money she gets from their other novels to reproduce mine and others' novels. So....

Fae Sutherland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
faesutherland.com
It's not fanfic they're publishing. It's 'original fiction' written by fandom writers. In all actuality I'm gonna go out on a limb and call it fanfic with the serial numbers filed off, much like 50 Shades of Gray is fanfic with the serial numbers filed off. As proven by EL James, there's nothing illegal about doing that. It's sketchy as hell to a lot of people, but not illegal.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
LOL! Thanks Fae. I think I'll steer clear of it. I only want to file my nails.

It's not fanfic they're publishing. It's 'original fiction' written by fandom writers. In all actuality I'm gonna go out on a limb and call it fanfic with the serial numbers filed off, much like 50 Shades of Gray is fanfic with the serial numbers filed off. As proven by EL James, there's nothing illegal about doing that. It's sketchy as hell to a lot of people, but not illegal.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Wait, so none of these books are finished yet? What happens if they never get finished at all? Will the press have to give the money back?

It's a Kickstarter, so the legal recourse for backers is fairly flimsy. The terms say something like 'if you fail to deliver, you'll suffer reputational damage and maybe even legal consequences'; and the FAQ sort of skates around the thin legal ice backers are skating on. It's not as emphatic as you'd expect if you could reasonably expect a swift refund. (Kickstarter hopes you will come to some kind of amicable arrangement which may involve refunds if there's a problem.)

The upshot is, if you're backing any Kickstarter you're taking a risky punt. You are speculating. Unfinished books are risky, yes, but then most things on Kickstarter are unfinished in some way. If you go in to these kinds of propositions aware that they might never be finished, it clarifies the whole thing marvellously.

I've had good and bad experiences with KS; and I'd also point out Unbound, the crowdfunding-based UK publisher. They work off uncomplete manuscripts, attract pledges, and produce some utterly lovely books (including this year's Xmas hit LETTERS OF NOTE.)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
What's more, it scored a starred review by Kirkus. Good on them.

Site hasn't been updated, and Tw/FB ceased 7/15, but per Kickstarter page, the other two books are progressing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Other two books pubbed Apr & May of '16. Per TW, then closed in October.