• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

How many of you blog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I blog about writing and becoming a full time writer. I used to be really horrible at updating my blog, but it's starting to become a habit now.

wallfull

author, psychologist, speaker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
I blog about once or twice a month for Psychology Today about children's feelings and friendships. Link in signature.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious... do you have a blog for your own personal writing space? Or do you have a blog for your book or perhaps your characters? I'm interested in knowing how many people here blog on a regular basis. I don't know if we're allowed to share our blog urls here -- I don't want to break any rules!

Yup. See below.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
For counting purposes, I have a couple of my personal blogs on my main website; updated whenever I remember the password. Most of my internet work is for a couple of sites, with comments on many. I enjoy not being in charge of the background work of running a website for blogging.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a blogger... then I stopped since I wasn't so into it. I have tried and failed to get another blog going but never worked. I'm working on a new website now and I'm writing a few to publish sporadically through the year... that way I don't have to worry about updating it. I keep it personal... simple musings about certain themes I include in my stories.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
I blog. I enjoy blogging because it's a more straightforward, shoot-from-the-gut thing for me than crafting my fiction. I've made a lot of great blogging friends, too. It's in my sig.

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
I've got one! I try to update it every Sunday morning/afternoon and that's been working out for a while, but other than that, I just blog when I feel like it.

It's in the sig below if you'd like to have a look :)

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
No blog. No wish for a blog. No plan for a blog. Blogging: the last thing on my list of Things To Do.

But I wish I felt differently about it.

fahrenheit9on1

Young Author
Registered
Reaction score
I never used to blog, then I got a blog when my publisher told me I should have one, then my antisocial behaviour kicked in and I got rid of it, and I've been blogless for years, until a few days ago my therapist convinced me to get another blog. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it, but it's there.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
These days it's mainly to update on my writing progress. I don't really find much to talk about in terms of other stuff.

Besides, I got moleskins for a reason anyway. That's where diaries should go in my humble opinion.

bethrodgersauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I Blog on Goodreads...

I use Goodreads to house my blog. I like discussing books and TV shows or movies I've seen with respect to the writing involved in making them come alive. I also give tips on writing, and I sometimes write from the perspective of various characters in my novel. It's a nice outlet for getting word out there about my own novel and also expounding on ideas that I find interesting and relevant.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
No blog. No wish for a blog. No plan for a blog. Blogging: the last thing on my list of Things To Do.

But I wish I felt differently about it.

I used to feel like this, and then I had to do a blog for a college course and I sort of kept it on afterwards. But then later I changed a lot about it. I really enjoy it.

At first it seemed like loads of work, but a post a week is doable and I look forward to it now.

Kayiin

Mekong giant catfish; Eating People
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreads.com
I have a few blogs, and their main uses before being forgot were as houses for first-and-last drafts of certain short stories and vignettes I'm not altogether proud of. I may journey back to the blogosphere when and if I ever have anything properly published, for promotional purposes, but until then I think I just have to accept that I can't maintain an honest-to-goodness weblog.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I had a blog and wrote about writing in general and some tips for beginners (I was a complete newbie at that time but tried to give advice lol). But after a year I went away from regular blogging and now just update my blog from time to time.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I blog and have been blogging since 2008. :e2BIC:

I write, I rant, I rage, and I get my ya-ya's out. Some folks dig it and some don't. I have over 1,600 followers of my blog.

I have no idea why. Maybe I'm either doing something right or something wrong and nobody's caught it yet.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I have a piddly little writing blog. I have very few followers. :D

I started it because 12 or so years ago I read two blogs by authors documenting their day-in day-out experience writing a novel. A great deal of the posts weren't punchy or amusing at all, but reading them as a series was immensely valuable for me. Shortly after reading them, I finished the first complete draft of a novel, and I really think it was partly due to seeing with my own eyes that other "real" writers have days when they hate their book, or take wrong turns and wind up having to delete the last 20 pages because they suck. It helped me push through the bad days, knowing that having them is not necessarily a sign that you are a Terrible Writer who is Doing It All Wrong.

I decided to blog about my own process on the off chance it might help someone else the way those blogs helped me. And really, I am a fantastic example of bad days and big mistakes.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this counts as blogging the way other people in this thread have mentioned, but inspired by Slacktivist's deconstruction of the truly awful Left Behind series, I decided to do a blog where I took apart the Young Adult spinoff. Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed by some of my early posts, all the typos and missed snark opportunities, but I like to think it's still a damn good blog that's worth reading and it's given me the chance to talk about my continuing love for Young Adult lit. So all in all, I regret nothing.

Oh and here's a link: http://mousehole-mouse.blogspot.com/?zx=3bc5b5a675aa6dd5

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I've blogged casually off and on, have deleted some, deleted my LiveJournal account, have used Blogger and Wordpress. I'm not consistent with it.

And one of them started out as the "writer's blog" so many newbie writers are told to maintain, as part of "platform" or whatever. Even as I started that it didn't make sense to me - "why would anyone want to know what I think about writing? I'm a nobody!" That one dried up quickly.

I originally started blogging as a way to keep long-distance family and friends in touch with what was going on with me and my family, but then Facebook kinda took that over.

Last fall I decided to start a new blog about random things I find interesting. I took a class in winter term, though, that had me in fits, and between that and working full time, didn't manage to write anything for it. But I think I'll start, just for myself.

Anyway, here's what Chuck Wendig said recently about blogging:

"You want my blogging advice?

I give you my blogging advice.

DON’T BLOG!

There it is. That’s my advice to you. Don’t blog. Don’t do it. Not worth it. You’re probably asking me as a writer, and as a writer to another writer I say: mmmnope, f*** it. Don’t blog.

<snip>

And finally you’re saying, But I wanna blog, too.

Well, okay, then.

Then it’s time for a different set of advisory points.

FINE, YOU’RE GOING TO BLOG ANYWAY

Welcome to Der Bloggerhaus. Here is your blog.

<snip>

Your blog is you. It should echo your voice. It should demonstrate who you are and what you believe — a larger, more direct version of the voice people will get inside your books. This blog and my books do not sound exactly alike, nor should they. But both, hopefully, sound like me. And your blog and your books should sound like you."

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/03/31/i-gotcher-blog-writin-advice-right-here/

So, blog or no? If it's fun or useful for you, then yep. If not, then nope. That seems to be how most advice has shaken out after a few years of "everyone must blog!"

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, here's what Chuck Wendig said recently about blogging:
"You want my blogging advice?

I give you my blogging advice.

DON’T BLOG!

There it is. That’s my advice to you. Don’t blog. Don’t do it. Not worth it. You’re probably asking me as a writer, and as a writer to another writer I say: mmmnope, f*** it. Don’t blog.

So, blog or no? If it's fun or useful for you, then yep. If not, then nope. That seems to be how most advice has shaken out after a few years of "everyone must blog!"
Yes! I like that advice and I'm going to take it. :) No blog for me.

I blog regularly, usually about things that flash through my mind. Mostly about writing. I find it a way to get thoughts down and, because I'm chatty, the vehicle suits me.

I have a pretty good following now. :)

I'm on www.jozebwrites.blogspot.co.uk
Putting my thoughts down seems to alienate people of late, so I'm staying away from blogging.

Status
Not open for further replies.