Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
I slept so much in the car today, I don't feel sleepy at all right now, even though it's 1 a.m. Building up my sleep resistance for NYE. :)

Writing is weird. It is so hard to tell whether something is good or not. Thank goodness for second opinions!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

Two things I learnt (or confirmed) by reading Nail Your Novel:

1. SOUNDTRACKS ARE GOOD (playlists for novels, I mean)
2. I don't need to worry about the timeline until the editing process

Something confused me, though, when I was reading it earlier, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out...

Are beat sheets the same as an outline made of post its? I have a feeling most peope throw their post its away after writing the first draft, but I was wondering if the concept was the same...

Last edited:

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Evening guys! I'm working on one of my stories today - the one that is calles Coffee and Tattoos in my sig. I know the main conflict and the villain, but it kind of worries me that I don't see the climax or the ending yet...

About the self-inserts - my cousin wrote a book where every character is one of his relatives. I'm apparently some witch with wind powers... I haven't actually read it, so I don't know whether it's any good, but he's looking into getting it published right now.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
My take on rules with writing-- my take on rules with everything-- is that you have to know how to follow them before you can break them.

As in, you have to know when you're breaking a rule or a guideline so you can be aware of the problems what you're doing will create so you can fix them...

...you know?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm googling!

I lost the writing I did for a class that I was going to edit and hand in! I have no idea what to do now -- it's got to be an exercept of a possible novel..

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
yo yo.
I started to re-read Mortal Instruments today. I had the craving. Had to dig through my boxes for City of Bones. It was a tough choice between that, and re-reading the Infernal Devices... Might just do it in order. Wow, my books look like they've never been read. No creases on the spine and all straight and shiny. I am good book-keeper! lol

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I'm pretty sure I'll use a beat sheet when I eventually manage to finish something! c:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am debating digging an old novel and editing the first 1K for my coursework...

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
yo yo.
I started to re-read Mortal Instruments today. I had the craving. Had to dig through my boxes for City of Bones. It was a tough choice between that, and re-reading the Infernal Devices... Might just do it in order. Wow, my books look like they've never been read. No creases on the spine and all straight and shiny. I am good book-keeper! lol

Haha. You can tell which books I love the most if they are falling apart. I try to keep my books from creasing and getting messed up but the more I read them, the more they...fall apart.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. You can tell which books I love the most if they are falling apart. I try to keep my books from creasing and getting messed up but the more I read them, the more they...fall apart.

I love the series, but i have only read them once. I treat my books like trophies. Never bending them, storing them carefully. I always find it horrifying when people crease or bend their books. I'm like "The book has feelings, you know!" lol

ETA: I'm eating Christmas pudding & custard *nommmmm*

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
I keep mine as treasures as well... Though I don't reread books often anyway. The only ones with creases and rips are the ones I've inherited, which usually are at least a couple decades old... or ones I had when I was a child. I was horrified when I found out I had scribbled in one of my books D8 (I think it was the King of Thieves?)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone got another books on the writing life they would reccomend?

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
My books are pretty neatly kept. It bugs me when people freak out over them bending, though. If I'd read my best friend's mangas she'd basically jump me and scream at me for keeping it open too wide.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Not me. I have a couple of beat up books from childhood. I don't think books have to be perfect, but I think it's a sign of respect to keep them pretty neat.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I've HP 1 - 3 for 10 1/2 years and 1 has a load of tape holding it together.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I could never get rid of my copies.

I'm going to download some new music (I want to try an experiment with Stephan's chapters) and try and adjust the playlist, then write later.

ETA: Isaac's POV in the soundtrack is going to be full of Yellowcard and similar bands. I don't know about Stepan yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.