Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Back from working on my query. I'm really glad that you guys pointed out the flaws in it so at least some future agents will see a better query. BTW, the book is extremely unique but it is very difficult to express it's unique qualities in such a short paragraph without confusing the agent. Kinda bummed though because I already queried my dream agent. Urrggh.

See...that right there is a sign of problems with your book. As much as agents say they want something unique the truth is, too unique is hard to sell. The economy sucks and they want things that they know will be marketable. Plus there is very little that is truly unique.

I had trouble describing my first two books in a query too. Eventually Para made me realize that the problem was my book. Neither one of them had a central plot. One had two plot arcs and the other one meandered so much that it didn't have one.

Third piece of advice: Shady Lane once said in a blog post that the query isn't supposed to summarize your book. The goal of a query is to make an agent want to read more.

Finally, I'm not denying that I have dream agents as well, but your dream agent should be someone that loves your book as much as you do and is willing to champion it.

ETA: Myst, this might sound harsh, but I think you should stop querying and start studying the business. Read threads here. Follow agent blogs. Absorb everything like a sponge. Then in a month or two, start querying again if you feel ready.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I had trouble describing my first two books in a query too. Eventually Para made me realize that the problem was my book. Neither one of them had a central plot. One had two plot arcs and the other one meandered so much that it didn't have one.

Killing people's hopes and dreams is my full-time job. :tongue

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I know. I have little faith in this book. That's why I didn't spend more than a few days on the query. I started it when I was 11 and when I read it back for the first time after completing it at 13, I realized that the characters had no personality and the Storyline sucked. I also realized that the book isnt YA, its more adult. But i really like my idea for a next book: it is utterly unique and is true YA. There is a brief blurb below but there are a lot of other elements. Wait till you get the end...

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
The first book I wrote was a mess. It had no real plot. I worked on it for way too long while I could have been working on other things. I really regret that now-- if I were your age again, I would keep querying, but put my central efforts into writing another book. And another. And another.

Then, I would have grown as a writer, and had more material to query, which would mean a better chance of representation. And if my first book had been really good but difficult for you to query (which yours might be, it happens), I could have talked to my agent about it and maybe even sold it. Just because your first project does gain you representation doesn't mean it won't ever sell.

But just keep writing. Let the query rest, and don't give up yet, but keep writing.

ETA: Also, you gain much more credibility if you don't self-praise. I mean, we all do it, a little, but letting the work speak for itself is 100% more effective.

Last edited:

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
When I said I know that was a reply to HS, not you Para. I'm not that mean. :) I'll make sure that my query letter for my next book will blow you away... And there will be no dreams to crush. :)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Here's a random question: do you guys come here to AW during the schoolyear? I really won't have time and I know many of you are in college

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay well you won't be hearing from me in the fall. I have high school applications to complete

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, it's a little embarrassing to admit, but even the book that I'm writing right now lacks a solid central plot. I've got a lot of plot arcs that are set up, but in my haste, I overlooked creating a plotline that begins and ends all in one book. And as much as I liked the book, I'm pulling a serious City of Bones.

I still love my book, but it's going to take a lot of work before it's actually presentable to anyone.

*goes back to my effing spreadsheet of sorrow*

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the greatness of Montreal, where high school starts when you're 12.

But really, high school applications shouldn't take that much time. Fall is almost four months long.

Kyrie

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the time. I'm here during school anyway. :tongue

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I like the **. feel the same way bout my query letter

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what Ky said.

Now that I'm finally ready to write, I have to pack. But I've only got shoes left! So that's good.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I know. I have little faith in this book. That's why I didn't spend more than a few days on the query. I started it when I was 11 and when I read it back for the first time after completing it at 13, I realized that the characters had no personality and the Storyline sucked. I also realized that the book isnt YA, its more adult. But i really like my idea for a next book: it is utterly unique and is true YA. There is a brief blurb below but there are a lot of other elements. Wait till you get the end...

If you don't like your book, why are you querying it?

Okay. Here's a random question: do you guys come here to AW during the schoolyear? I really won't have time and I know many of you are in college

I was here all the time during high school. This is my first year of college so I probably won't be around nearly as much as I usually am, but I do intend to come on at least once a day.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Well same reason as you queried your first two. You said they were bad, then why did you query them? Because they were interesting, unique and because you loved them despite their flaws. Same with me

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
No... because we didn't realize they were bad. We were blind fools, brought into the light by the great Para.

:Hail:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
My first completed novel is...gross. I still love it, but I won't even think about trying to get it published, or even trying to revise it. It's beyond repair.

And I was doing college classes when I started out here, so it's definitely something I make time for.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
I have this idea in my head that one day, when I finish my book and I think it's decent, I'll ask Para to read it for me.

It's a scary thought. Lol. :D

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid to look at my first novel lol. I'm jealous of you younger twifties that have written decent stuff when you were in HS. My stuff sucked back then lol. And really, my stuff only started not sucking within the past year or so.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
I feel you, Karla. I used to think I had some sort of talent, but the older I get, I realize that I was sort of kidding myself.

The only hope for me at this point is gonna be constant revision. I may only get one series published in my entire life, but by golly... I'M GONNA DO IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.