Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Have not got round to reading it yet. Is it as bad as they say?

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I tried a search- think it must be because I put "fifty" instead of "50". Thanks :)

oooooh

the owls are not what they seem
Registered
Reaction score
I've read about halfway through. It was interesting until it got boring, that's all I have to say. Christian Grey is very one-dimensional and not very believable as a character and Anna Steele is just...boring. The entire book is just her going what'll he do next?. Parts of it were amusing, but I stopped because I couldn't bear to read the words my inner goddess one more time. I'd say read if you want to, but there's so many better ways to waste time, lol.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
my wife is reading it now......I write, she gets some sense of writing through osmosis and being very bright. So, she's a fair critic in her own right, somewhere between the oft-maligned "writer reviewing" and "reader reviewer".

She's mentioned, more than once, that Christian invariably has a "smile that didn't reach his eyes." I'm starting to think the poor fucker has Bell's Palsy. :-(

her final assessment was that the book started rough, smoothed out a bit, but would have still been much better if "the story was actually written well."

Todd Larkin

Registered
Reaction score
I work at Books-A-Million and therefore have access to whatever I want. What I mean is, I don't like bashing a book unless I've read a portion of it. I've read bits and pieces here and there, skipping the scene scenes because I have no interest in those. The writing itself is bland, characters and situations unbelievable. No wonder it's widespread popular.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score
I have not read it, but I like to suggest to folks I've met that read it, that they check out Anne Rice's Beauty series.