• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry gang :Shrug: Remove me from the willing list.
I'm working on a new novel and find myself deep in research, outlining and writing.
Perhaps when I finish, I'll be available again.

Balthaser

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.literary-arts.net
I'll be interested in BETA-ing:

-Fantasy
-YA Romance/Action/Adventure
-Mystery
-Thriller
-Urban Fantasy
-Horror

Will not critique:
-Romance
-Science Fiction
-Non-fiction/Biographies

eurodan49

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I’m willing to do some reading, but first let me tell you where I’m coming from, my strength and weakness, and what you can expect.
- I’m an old (not quite that old, really) gizzard, done lots of research in my time (historical, political), read tons of crap and some great stuff, wrote mountains of analyses and reports, been around the world a few times, enjoy a trim narration and a strong voice.
- Don’t expect me to correct spelling and/or grammar; I will, however, suggest a stronger verb, a more explicit adjective (though I hate too many of those).
- I read for content and will point out holes in the plot (sometimes offer suggestions).
- I desire a “clean” work, not a first draft…. I’m not an editor.
- I won’t be good at: chick-lit, MG and/or YA, vampire/zombies/aliens/ stories, most horror, memoirs/diaries or cosmopolitan flamboyancies.
- What’s left? Historical (both NF and fiction, but no historical romance), military/action/adventure, thrillers (especially spy stuff), stories with international settings (Europe, the Middle-East, Africa and Asia), westerns (selectively), mystery/suspense/crime, well researched techno Sci-Fi (not fantasy).
- I would like to start with a synopsis and first chapter (okay, two if they’re real short).
- If you’re thin skinned, I’m not the right beta for you.

LRGiles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lrgiles.com
UPDATE: Now unavailable. Thanks.

I’m new to the forums, but I’d be willing to Beta. A few conditions, though.

I prefer

Urban fantasy
Action/Adventure
Sci-fi (no space opera, though)
Mystery/Thriller
I’ll also take a look at YA versions of anything mentioned above

I’d like to avoid

-Any sort of Twilight angsty romance between a lonely girl and a vampire/werewolf/weregerbil/Kraken
-First drafts (I’d only want to see something the author has taken the time to revise at least once)

How I’d like to proceed

-PM me with a bit of your writing background, brief synopsis, and the first chapter or two (up to 10 pages). Based on that, I’ll provide an initial round of feedback (If I'm able to...don't know how many requests I'll receive so I reserve the right to say "Sorry, can't do it") and we can both decide if we’d like to continue (you may not like what I’m doing or vice-versa; neither of us should feel too bad about parting ways if that’s the case, it happens).

-If you’re thin-skinned or looking for someone to tell you whether you’re a good writer or just need to burn your keyboard, I’m not the guy for you. I will never be mean, but I’ll call it like I see it. From there, you have to decide whether the scribbler’s life is right for you… (trust me, I’ve had work trounced many times over, I know it’s not fun, but it is necessary).

Why am I qualified to do this if I’m a newbie to AW?

Really, you could argue that I’m NOT qualified to do this, depending on what you want in a Beta. But, I do have a decent writing background. My fantasy novel The Darkness Kept was a Top 10 finalist in the 2009 Tor UK and SciFi Now “War of the Words” competition. I am a recipient of the 2006-2007 Virginia Commission for the Arts Fiction Fellowship. And, I’m a three-time contributor to the Dark Dreams anthology series edited by author Brandon Massey for Kensington Publishing (Dark Dreams, 2004; Voices from the Other Side, 2006; Whispers in the Night, 2007). Basically, I know enough to be dangerous. Plus, I’m hoping to network and maybe find some writers with similar aspirations and experience.

Let me know if you’re interested.

Last edited:

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to Beta. I'll beta YA, but nothing...
~Paranormal. I'm not that into Vampires or anything like that.
~With drugs, cursing, or any of that stuff. I don't feel comfortable reading it.
~Animal/Child Abuse. That's just sad. Sure, if it was in the past, and its mentioned. But nothing with it happening. Ugh.

SO, just contact me, and I'll talk.

wornoutmumoftwo

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Avaliable: No - few beta's to read and a holiday to go on.

Genre's I like: I don't have a faourite genre, as long as the story grabs my attention, I'm happy. I will anything from children's books through to conspiracy theories.

Favourite authors: Terry Goodkind, Virginia Andrews (not the new ones), Dan Brown, J K Rowling, Josephine Cox.

What I don't like: Child abuse and animal abuse

How I beta: I'm not a grammar expert, but I am good at getting to know characters, plot lines. I have a vivid imagination, and if I can see a way to put an edge to your story, I will let you know.

I am a positive person by nature. If you choose me to beta I will give an honest opinion, and would encourage a storyline (and it's author) on where improvements needs to be made.

I'm happy to beta line by line, or just a read through, but I prefer chapter by chapter and reseve the right to cease a beta read if it is a genre I am not familiar with, as that would not be fair on the author.

You will receive regular emails, (apart from 15th to 25th May as I'm going on holiday, and I don't think the husband will appreciate me sneaking the laptop into the suitcases).

Last edited:

BelmontHeir

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm new here but I'd love to be a Beta Reader for someone. I'm very open and friendly, but I've had numerous creative writing workshop experiences so I know how to give solid feeedback.

Favorite genres Horror, "transgressive" fiction, Young Adult

Some of my favorite authors Bret Easton Ellis, Dennis Cooper, Vladimir Nabokov, Oscar Wilde, Lewis Carroll, H.P. Lovecraft, Poppy Z. Brite, Chuck Palahniuk, Neil Gaiman, James Baldwin, Scott Heim, J.G. Ballard, Francesca Lia Block, S. E. Hinton, Thomas Ligotti

What I would like to read Any kind of horror story, fiction that's considered dark/edgy/transgressive (like Dennis Cooper), and non-genre Young Adult work (stuff about real people with real issues)

What I don't feel I'd be helpful with critiquing Most science-fiction and fantasy, and any Young Adult that deals with kids learning magic or traveling to other worlds. I do enjoy sci-fi and fantasy now and then but I simply do not read enough of it to be able to know what makes those kinds of stories work and what the market is looking for. I definitely would enjoy reading Young Adult "horror," though.

Hopefully someone will get at me soon enough! I have way too much free time at the moment, heh.

RSned05

Registered
Reaction score
I would be willing to be a beta reader. I don't really have much on my plate right now. I am a college senior who has taken a lot of creative writing classes in the past. I am fairly decent at editing, etc. Genre doesn't matter. If interested, feel free to contact me.

bri_ness

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a willing beta reader for YA novels, with the exception of fantasy and paranormal YA novels. My preferred genres within YA are contemporary and romance, but if your novel contains sex scenes, I will not read those scenes (note that I have no problem with fade-to-black scenes or mentions of sex.) I will, however, happily read the rest of the novel.

I try not to be harsh, but I can be snarky. Of course I'll talk to you about what you want me to pay attention to, but I do tend to focus more on grammar, voice, and dialogue.

I have no experience other than being someone who has read and wrote (though not professionally) all her life, and I'm only eighteen, so I understand that some won't see me as qualified.

Send me a PM if you're interested and we can work something out :)

erica_henry

Typing away 1 word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erica-henry.blogger.com
I am not currently taking anymore beta requests. I am piled up at the moment. When I finish up my current beta reads I'll be back available. Please hold off on emailing me until this message status is changed. Can't wait to read your stuff soon.

I would be willing to be a beta. I love anything YA and would be willing to read MG too. I especially love ANYTHING paranormal. Just ask and I'll let you know. I'd love to have it be a reciprocal relationship where we can send each other stuff back and forth. Thanks.

Last edited:

cynkaba

Stop me and steal my breath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.unfoldingsouls.com
Hi, I'm new and just finished my own novel which I'm looking for a beta reader for, however, I'd be willing to try to be a beta reader for romance or fantasy genres. Maybe you could send me a chapter first so I can get a feel for it.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Unbelievably busy for the next few weeks with too many things on the go. Try me around the end of April 2011.

Sorry, crashed computer and now on new system. It will take a while. Still backed up with beta-reading at the moment.

Looks like I never added my name to the new thread, so here I am, a Canadian ex-Brit, Welsh-speaker. I do line edits (but not if every sentence needs correcting) and I tend to be tough.

Mainly interested in historical, historical fantasy, fantasy, mystery, suspense and gothic novels. Horror is a possibility, but not anything with a lot of gore.

Won't look at romance, teen or children's novels. Sorry.

For the next two weeks I'll be editing my own novel, so I can't take on new Beta work unless it's from an author I've worked with before. *waves*

In the first instance, send me the first three chapters so we can see if I we are a good fit.

Last edited:

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to beta anything, just so long as it isn't a western or sci-fi. I'm not easily offended, so foul language, violence, or anything of the sort doesn't bother me.

I can provide some grammar help, but I do not claim to be an expert. I am very good at dialogue and plot continuity.

Feel free to PM me if you would like me to beta your manuscript.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
UPDATE: UNAVAILABLE (I have a few projects on the go, so when those are cleared up I'll be happy to help out again)

Hello, I'm willing to Beta anything YA except horror. I have a fair amount of free time on my hands and have beta read on a case by case basis in the past. Since I am out of novels to read, and my funds are at an all time low, I figure, why not help out.

Please no first drafts. You will never learn anything if I do it all for you :)

Can do entire MS or on a chapter by chapter basis. I love using MS Word "Track Changes" option and am willing to do line by line if that's what you need.

PM me with a short synopsis or blurb.

Last edited:

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Available: Yes

Genres I like: I write Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Horror/Thriller and YA - these are my favorite genres, but I admit a soft spot for well written Westerns and Military Fiction. I'm a sucker for storylines that flirt with the darkness in people, but that's not mandatory by any means.

Favorite Books: Mistborn Trilogy, Harry Potter Series, Dark Tower Series, just about anything by Tom Clancy, scattered works by RA Salvatore and Raymond Fiest.

What I don't like: Not a big fan of slow starting drama. While cars don't have to blow up in the first scene, I definitely want the promise of cars blowing up soon, so to speak. Sub out cars for any sort of compelling conflict, however. :)

How I beta: I'm harsh. No getting around this. If I don't like something, you will know it. I will always be respectful of you as a person, but if you are looking for a fan and unconditional moral encouragement for writing that I believe is unengaging and boring, I'm not the beta reader for you.

Unconditional encouragement is something I *hate* when I give my piece to someone to read. It does me no good and doesn't help me improve my craft. If it's good, fine, I'm happy to hear it - but if there's a leak in the hull, I don't want you to tell me it's nothing. I want to know exactly how much water you think I'm taking on! :D

Regardless, I don't presume to speak for the industry. I've never published a work of fiction. I do consider myself a professional reader, however - and I know exactly what excites me and what doesn't. Just because I don't like something you write doesn't mean it's bad. I've put down books by people like Stephen King (hated Bag of Bones), Tad Williams (City of Golden Shadow was one of the worst books I've ever read) and Dean Koontz (That Odd Thomas sequel... wow.) because they failed to interest me... yet they are all phenomenal writers when they bring their A game to a book.

I won't touch up your grammar very much, unless something just strikes me as very odd. Line by line editing isn't really a passion of mine. As long as I can understand what you're saying, I won't let it distract from the merit of the work.

Turnaround Time: A lot of variables factor into my turnaround time, but I've been pretty good about getting folks 1 detailed critique a week. Excerpts tend to be between 10,000-20,000 words.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in having me read your work.

Last edited:

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I'm happy to beta anything YA. My favorite sub-genres: contemporary, fantasy, horror/thriller/suspense/any of that freaky stuff.

My strengths are line editing, proofreading, and little details (I'm the person who will notice if your character's eyes change color 100 pages in), but I'll give feedback on plot/characterization/worldbuilding too, or anything else you like. I'm a gentle but honest critiquer. Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited:

gystyle

Registered
Reaction score
I have been studying English for more than 10 years. My English thus is competent with grammars, structures, wording, syntaxes, consistency, tone, use of words among many others.

I could help with proofreading, and evaluating logic, rational thinking of your text.

No particular preference. Any genres of writing would suffice.

Last edited:

askcb

If in doubt, mumble
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd love to beta for someone--it would be my first time but I have a strong English background, a Bachelor's degree, and a whole lot of time. I'm currently working on my own novel but really think getting out of my head and away from it, even just for a bit, and into someone else's work might help me with my own :)

Preferences, in order:
Literary
Mainstream/contemp
YA
MG

Will not do's, no particular order:
Sci-fi
Horror
Strictly romance
Historical or Western fiction
Anything that includes anything paranormal

I don't mind:
Swearing
Sex
Drugs
Homosexuality
Violence, when it is story appropriate and not gratuitous
Most other illict or controversial things

My strengths:
Grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, consistency

I can be harsh or gentle--whatever you prefer.
I read quickly and can get back to you quickly.
Best to reach me through PM.

Kaylyn

gystyle

Registered
Reaction score
I am fine with any kinds of writing and willing to help edit your parts. My experience is learnt through help of others, so I am now helping others to share my experience.

I love to hear from anybody:)

Last edited:

Irissel

Wandering Aimlessly Through Life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
irissel.blogspot.com
I am new to this site but I would LOVE to Beta for someone. I am an English major who has taken a lot of classes in creative writing so... I guess I'm qualified. Warning: I can be brutally honest. If I hate it or can't finish it, I will tell you. If I say I love it, I really mean it.

I am interested in any thing YA, MG, or adult in any of the following genres:
Fantasy
Historical Fiction
Sci-Fi (just YA or MG)

What I am NOT interested in:
Contemporary fiction of any kind
Science fiction aimed at adults
First drafts
Anything over 150,000 words

Note: I have no problem with strong language or graphic sexuality, but I will let you know if it feels over-the-top. I CAN be a bit squeamish when it comes to graphic violence, but... err... just warn me.

Update: I will be AVAILABLE for reading starting Dec. 9. If you would like me to read your stuff and can wait until then, pm me with a pitch and first chapter. I will only be committing to THREE to do over holiday break and it will be first come first serve unless I don't like the pitch or first chapter.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyUserName

Registered
Reaction score
Willing to beta-read upmarket women's fiction or more commercial chick lit. Prefer to keep it to a few chapters rather than committing myself to an entire manuscript. Most likely will provide general reaction/comments, although could possibly go a little deeper. Please PM me if interested.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, not available at this time

I will beta read Literary mainstream character driven drama. It may have adults or young people in it, but it must be centered in this world and this world's problems. I will not read SF or Fantasy. I am not interested in chick lit, or YA. No Romance. No Erotica.

I Will read Westren, Spy, Espionage, Thriller, mystery thriller, suspense, coming of age (like Ian McEwan's "The Cement Garden,) Literary:"Love in the Time of Cholora," "The Mosquito Coast," Type books.

It better be good or I will throw it on the floor and stomp on it.

I am looking for a "perfect" story, or one that can be transformed with a few tweaks into a perfect story. I do not like Cliches, Genre writing, Hacks of any kind.

No Vampires!!!

Last edited:

LChristensen

Registered
Reaction score
Romance and Urban Fantasy - Please apply here

I'm up for reading any genre of Romance or Urban Fantasy - but I would probably be more help with mainstream stuff, as I really haven't read enough category romances (Harlequin, etc) to feel qualified to give an opinion.

I typically enjoy just about everything, but here are some writing styles I'm particularly fond of and would feel comfortable giving a critique on similar WIP:

Meredith Duran, Sherry Thomas, Karen Marie Moning (both her romance and urban fantasy), Chloe Neill, Kris Kennedy, Judith McNaught, Julia Quinn, Kresley Cole, and of course Nora Roberts

Willing to do line edits, plot testing, or general impressions feedback

Last edited:

nicolemarie

Lost in my own world
Registered
Reaction score
Willing Beta

I'm willing to beta almost anything YA. I write mostly urban fantasy so I would prefer a piece that is fantasy or paranormal, but I will consider contemporary and romance. I don't typically do a line-by-line, but I will note grammar and spelling errors if I notice them. I prefer to give comments at the end of each chapter related to flow, character development, and plot. I do have a few conditions:

1. The manuscript MUST be completed.
2. I don't want to look at first drafts. They aren't polished enough.

Send me a short synopsis and word count (so I have an idea of how long it will take me), and I'll let you know if I'm interested.

Nikki

ETA: I am now busy doing some beta work and am unavailable for more. I will update when the status changes.

Last edited:

indie_girl

I'll bring the twister!
Registered
Reaction score
Currently beta-reading two projects. Not available right now, sorry!

I've never been a beta reader before but I would love to try it! I would be thrilled to beta pretty much any YA. Urban fantasy or paranormal is preferable, but it doesn't really matter.

No rough drafts! If your first drafts are anything like mine, there's no way they're polished enough for a beta to wrap their head around. And if your manuscript is finished, that would be awesome--I can't stand not knowing the ending of a really good story.

PM me with a synopsis and word count if you're interested :)

PS: Do not be fooled, I will try my best to be BRUTALLY honest. Or something like that, haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.