Jed's Super-Dooper Baileys Pub for Newbies, Dragons, Saints & Sinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
I did the dutiful daughter phone call. Was dreading telling my mum I was in council housing. She was actually not pissed off. She wasn't happy - she's never happy - but she wasn't pissed off. Progress. :D

:snoopy:we take progress in our lives where we can find them. enjoy the day. personally i think you have done well today.

HI lady nice to sees you

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've done well today too. :D I'd originally applied for housing in a tower block, and I think my mum was so relieved I'm not living there she's marginally neutral about the whole thing.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Parents are sorta like ex-ships captains. They still want (need?) to worry about what winds and seas she (the ship) sails, fully knowing they no longer can 'set' her sails nor 'change' her coarse any longer.

I was a horror when I was wee. I didn't sleep until I was two years old. Well, I'd sleep for two hours then be up for twelve, sleep for two, be up for twelve. Then my brother was born and he only woke up to get fed. My mum couldn't decide which of us was the more unusual. :tongue But my parents can't forgive me for the two years of hell.

My gran was the first to see me at the hospital, and she says I had huge eyes and was lifting my head up to look around. Apparently new born babies aren't normally able to lift their heads up. I wouldn't know. But my gran said "You've got a livewire there." And they did. I had stuff to do. Sleeping was for wimps. :D

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
No sleep for two years certainly surprised my parents. :D

I've always been quite sensitive. My dad had a drinking partner for a while when I was wee and my mum hated him. The whole atmosphere changed when this guy came in to the house. My mum told me I hit the drinking partner with a book and said "Go away, you make this place not nice!" when I was four years old. Then my dad hurled abuse at my mum for it because he thought she'd been saying stuff. So I bear the guilt for that.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I bear the guilt for that.

Well, you can just put that right down on the ground and walk away from it.

You were caught in the middle and only told the truth, f'r'eaven's sake!

Nox the Many

The prose is dark & full of errors
Registered
Reaction score
Quick, someone set me up some Jack & Cokes. Tumblers, not whiskey-glass-sized.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't learned tact. I work on it really hard, though. :D

Katie gets a Glasgow Jack and coke. Which is an obscene amount of Jack, and very little coke. :D

Nox the Many

Registered
Reaction score
Bad day at the office?

Slides a 20 oz. tea glass full of Jack, flavored with a dash of Coke, across the bar, and asks, "will you be needing a straw with that?"

Bad day with ex-slash-roommate.

Katie gets a Glasgow Jack and coke. Which is an obscene amount of Jack, and very little coke. :D

Keep 'em coming, folks! I am in a not-fun situation until I'm a multi-millionaire published author.

/total liar

I'd be fine if I could make just a living income off my writing. Get a solo apartment and NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED IN.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Is that some kind of drink?

Hey, Katie, sorry you had a rough one! Boo hiss to the ex-slash meanie.

I have been having SUCH fun with my bro in law, who likes to initiate silly little power struggles. Lots and lots of practice for me in letting go of bullshit crapola and dodging missiles from the dweeker doolynertz he is.

Poor guy. Somebody really twisted his little brain, once.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Keep 'em coming, folks! I am in a not-fun situation until I'm a multi-millionaire published author.

/total liar

I'd be fine if I could make just a living income off my writing. Get a solo apartment and NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED IN.

It can be done, but you have to go through the whole no appliance hell and be actually homeless and have no family you really like and no friends to speak of. Apart from my two real life friends who have been awesome above and beyond the call of duty, but they couldn't take me in because they've got another homeless stray living with them just now :D. I owe them big time. There will be bottles of premium alcohol.

My rent here is £250 a month. (Roughly $375.) I'm in what I think you call government housing over there. I heard some states have no provisions for homeless people at all, which is kinda scary.

More Baileys and Jack! Jed never finished that well. I'll gie 'im a row when he gets back. :tongue

Nox the Many

Registered
Reaction score
It can be done, but you have to go through the whole no appliance hell and be actually homeless and have no family you really like and no friends to speak of. Apart from my two real life friends who have been awesome above and beyond the call of duty, but they couldn't take me in because they've got another homeless stray living with them just now :D. I owe them big time. There will be bottles of premium alcohol.

My rent here is £250 a month. (Roughly $375.) I'm in what I think you call government housing over there. I heard some states have no provisions for homeless people at all, which is kinda scary.

More Baileys and Jack! Jed never finished that well. I'll gie 'im a row when he gets back. :tongue

EDIT: But also, thanks, and stuff. And thanks for everyone commiserating with me.

I've looked into that here. It's not a good option for me at this time.

Now, if I could find summat in writing/proofing/whatever that would let me work from home, I'd be good.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Demian. Welcome to the pub and AW. I hope you'll be happy here. :hi:

I don't know what a sarsaparilla is so I'll leave you in the capable hands of American bar staff. :D

Katie, one of my friends uses this site to find work at home and odd jobs and things. I can't personally vouch for it, though, so do your checks. :)

Nox the Many

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Fran.

Welcome, Demian.

And I might be off for the night. Bye, all!

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
And, of course, you know that tact is merely the glib tongue ability of telling someone to go to hell in such an eloquent manner that they 'look forward' to enjoying their wonderous trip there (wink,wink)!

Oh, yes, I'm fully aware of that. I inherited my father's talent for being incredibly rude to people while sounding like you're a nice person. Comes in very handy in call centres. ;)

Night, Katie. :hi:

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Pubbers. :hi:

Today I'll be plugging away at chapter two. Chapter one got sent to my crit partner yesterday. My goal is to write 5000 words this week. Lets see if I can do it.
You can do it Spiral. :)

*waddles into bar

As long as it's virtual, anyone ever have a Mr. Chunks?
It's a shot of 151, a shot of vodka, a shot of mint schnapps, and 3 shots of baileys in a big glass of orange juice.

It's called a Mr. Chunks for a couple reasons.
:welcome: to the Pub, Reverend Ben. One Mr. Chunks coming right up.

*slides over a Mr. Chunks*

Enjoy!

:banana: I got the job! :banana:

I start the 1st of July.
:yessmiley Congrats, Fran. Drinks are on the house tonight. :)

Quick, someone set me up some Jack & Cokes. Tumblers, not whiskey-glass-sized.
*lugs out The Keg*

It's the largest tumbler we have available.

Woo-hoo! I'm here, finally. Serve me up a foaming sarsaparilla, kindly. :)
:welcome: to the Pub, Demian.

*slides over a foaming sarsaparilla*

As mentioned earlier, drinks are on the house. Enjoy!

Reverend Ben

Registered
Reaction score
*uummpff
Oh God, here it comes...

*pukes

There is no good way to drink one of these. Can I get a mop? I don't want to make anyone else clean that up.

Also, a skeleton walks into the bar, and asks for a beer and a mop.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
geez Jed, you need to blow the dust off your blog there and post something new. :p

I suppose I'll have to stalk you on twitter soon. I didn't even realize you were on twitter...I should actually look at people's sig lines sometime. :D
Yeah, I really should do something with my blog. But I just can't find anything to write about on it. Any suggestions are welcome.

I've only been on twitter for a week and a half, so am still getting used to that. Although even with only 140 characters, I'm still finding it hard to post anything interesting.
Jed you may want to try a day off from the rest of the world and get some sleep. me thinks you are pushing a tad too hard.
My sleeping pattern is very erratic at the moment and I feel tired all the freaking time. I may need to up my daily dose of coffee by a few dozen cups to compensate.
:banana: I got the job! :banana:

I start the 1st of July.
Big congrats, Fran, that's great news. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Welcome to the Pub, Demian, and the watercooler. :hi:
*uummpff
Oh God, here it comes...

*pukes

There is no good way to drink one of these. Can I get a mop? I don't want to make anyone else clean that up.

Also, a skeleton walks into the bar, and asks for a beer and a mop.
Welcome to the Pub Reverend Ben, and the watercooler. :hi:

Nox the Many

Registered
Reaction score
I would say "good morning," but I seem to have slept right past morning. No complaint, though, I needed that sleep. How are we all the fine fair day? (Just to be clear, it's summer, so a "fine day" is a light rain so I can breathe through the usually-oppressive heat.)

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Bad day with ex-slash-roommate.

Katie i am on your side. :) feel the love it all real and live via the internet.

Welcome to the pub glad to see you found your way in.

Yeah, I really should do something with my blog. But I just can't find anything to write about on it. Any suggestions are welcome.

My sleeping pattern is very erratic at the moment and I feel tired all the freaking time. I may need to up my daily dose of coffee by a few dozen cups to compensate.

need things to write about i guess i should go and look at your blog to get an idea of what you have already written about.... then i could have an idea or 5 for you

Reverend Ben -- you know, of course, that all these devil's drinks are strickly for medicinal purposes, don't you (wink,wink)!

is there any other reason than a prescribed blinding drunk for doing any of this. memory loss is a vital part of forgetting the last few (time periods) of life. or not depending on your personal view.

i lost several years in the 70' and 80's due to consumption of booze. now i wonder if it was worth it or would the memories have been more fun. just saying.

Nox the Many

Registered
Reaction score
Katie i am on your side. :) feel the love it all real and live via the internet.

You've chosen wisely. My side is always the correct one. XD

Also, HEY! HEY! [SUB]listen[/SUB]: I did my schedule-thingie and now I've fixed my sig. Although I'm a little confused how all these people seem to know their end wordcount. I haven't finished enough novels to get a good feel for how long they want to be yet (but at least I can finally tell the difference between an idea that wants a short and an idea that wants a novella).

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Katie, I think a lot of people use it as a target rather than an end word count. Also you get some genres like YA where the upper word limit's quite strict (60,000 I think). Then there's epic fantasy where the minimum word count is 62 bajillion. :D

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I would say "good morning," but I seem to have slept right past morning. No complaint, though, I needed that sleep. How are we all the fine fair day? (Just to be clear, it's summer, so a "fine day" is a light rain so I can breathe through the usually-oppressive heat.)
Not sure it's summer here yet, unless we all ready had it and I missed it. It's been cool and rainy here most of the day. Not that I'm complaining about it being cool, but I don't like the rain. Mostly because the tennis was cancelled again. And then they came out to play. Then it rained and they went back in. And it stopped so they came back out and played. Then it rained and they went back in. This continued for many hours until they finally gave up. I know the feeling.
need things to write about i guess i should go and look at your blog to get an idea of what you have already written about.... then i could have an idea or 5 for you
So far the majority of posts on my blog have been about me intending to start blogging again. It's been a while since I made one of those posts, so I guess I need to do it again. Maybe I'll actually do what I say in the post and, you know, actually blog.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
please to note that i have not put a word count on any of my projects for a couple o reasons.
1 i have no idea where they will end at
2 i dont want to set a limit that has no real chance of being hit or one that is too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.