• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Pub svcs] Original Writing Ltd.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Someone sent me a link to these folks asking if they were reputable. I had never heard of them, so I looked here and didn't find anything.

Original Writing website www.originalwriting.ie

They seems to have published a fair number of books, a lot of which look to be decent quality physically. I had a quick look at the website, but there was something which altered me.

On their FAQ page they state:

Instead of a paltry 5 to 15% royalty, you will make 75% royalty on sales.

Which sounds amazing as this is print.

HOWEVER, it turns out that it's actually

Royalties of 75% of margin on book sales to third parties

Which is an entirely different thing altogether. This is on a different page to the previous statement.

The site says they've published over 350 authors, and from what I can gather they've been about for 6 or so years.

Anyone have any info/dealings with them?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
1000 Euros is... about 1300 US dollars. And they sell a 200 page paperback for $18. Amazon ranks are from unimpressive to nonexistent. I see nothing very attractive there.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Yes, this is a self-publishing provider based in Dublin, Ireland. I reviewed this company about three years ago here, with some minor updates to the review in early 2012. Around the time of the review in 2009, I also carried out an interview with the Sales & Marketing Manager at the time. I don't know whether the guy is still in this position now.

Do bear in mind that the bulk of the pieces written are from 2009 and there is far more choice now for authors looking at self-publishing providers in Ireland. In addition - from the phone-in feedback to an RTE broadcast on self-published authors (December 2011) and as a broad indicator of where OW is in the Irish market - I've also included some figures (my compiled stats) based on the authors who contacted the Joe Duffy Live show in this programme review.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
thanks Mick

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's been down for a couple months, and just about everything they published in '15 is now "unavailable".