Skin tones...in space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so my first semester of hyper-liberal college brain washing is complete and I have started worrying about something I never worried about before 2 months of being told that since I am white I am the end product of 2,000 years of institutionalized PURE EVIL. What is this?

Skin tones!

Or more accurately, the way humanity has oddly and nonsensically split ourselves into various "Races" (despite being so genetically similar that its not even funny) based off slight differences in body shape and pigmentation. Any alien would say we were batshit insane (while having their own racial issues based off eye counts and how many joints they have in their sli-pthat'tha). Now that I have been writing my distant future YA adventure romance comedy action drama sci-fi novel for roughly two years, I have realized I have not a SINGLE reference to skin tones in the ENTIRE book!

Gasp.

And yet, when I asked some of random people who have read my stuff, they said that they thought my main characters were white. Huh, I thought, and did nothing till I reached a rather fun little scene.

Basically, my male hero is human, while my female heroine is a cybernetic life form...or as they call them, E.L.Fs. Enhanced Life Forms. And before the novel starts, E.L.Fs were racisted against and enslaved and are only now starting to be equal citizens. Anywho, our two lovers (They fall in love somewhere near the middle of the book) meet an old guy who seems nice at first...but is actually a racist.

Which leads to a little rant which suprised me!

"A thousand years ago, they'd be bugging out cause my skins is dark chocolate and yours is vanilla!" Pix paused in getting her gloves on and licked his cheek.

Jimmy scowled playfully at her. "Pix, please! I'm trying to stay angry here! You licking me isn't-"

She licked him again.

"Stop that!"

Now, there is no read lead up, and in fact, this is pretty much the only reference to "race" in the entire novel...and its not really important, as in this future the old kinds of racism has kinda fallen by the wayside (to be replaced by newer, shiney forms of racism).

So, does this strike you as a pale copout to make my novel politically correct? Should it even be in there?

I don't know, its mostly expermental at this point.

Though I do like the fact that it gives Pix an extra excuse to lick Jimmy, which is always wholesome family fun entertainment.

Um...

That is, licking his check <_< >_>

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
It doesn't strike me as a copout, but it would take me by surprise if you didn't reveal this information until halfway through the book.

If you're going to tell me what someone looks like, do it up front so I can incorporate it into my mental image. Don't do it later, after I've already got my mental images of Jimmy and Pix set in stone.

Incidentally, from previous accounts of your story, I imagined Jimmy as white and Pix as pale green.

It's said that the reader tends to visualize the MC as similar to themselves, so in fact many readers who are white may visualize Jimmy as white. I wouldn't worry about it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
<sigh>

I blame my class. It puts everything under a big old microscope, and I've started doing it to my own writing...its a bit annoying, to put it bluntly.

...pale green?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm partial to the idea that given 2,000 years or so everyone's going to be roughly the same shade of brown. But surely something as fleeting as skin colour will be a matter of choice and taste by then, anyway.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
For some reason, I thought it was about this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LeastCommonSkinTone

Don't have a race is good, Heinlein used it a lot. The MC of Star Troopers is Philipino and is only mentioned once at the middle, another is black and isn't told until the end and there's a sci-fi book that appears on that list or in Planet Of The Hats where is mentioned how all humans united to only have a single race (pretty much looking like the average Latino)

If your readers think your characters are white isn't because they see them as Mawgli/White Devil/Mister Danger but because white is default. The whole world culture is influenced by Europe and USA, what colors are mostly Europes and US people? Exactly.

When I read Harry Potter I imaged Digory black, Hagrid as a biker. When I read Blindess I saw the first blind Mediterranean, the Eye Doctor British, The girl with black glasses French and when I read Dune I saw Guerney black, don't ask me why.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I've been mulling it over and I decided to keep the line in and to stop worrying about it.

Anyone who's paying attention will have a verity of reactions. Anyone who isn't will just keep devouring the additively exciting story...I hope.

And, as I said before...it gives Pix another excuse to lick Jimmy.

Which is never a bad thing.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Skin color is based on melanin amount and exposure to Sol's UV rays. Darker skin could be induced by tanning lights on a ship and also, because of lack of natural light, melanin might be given to assist sleep--as it is today. Lack of UV would likely make long-term spacers paler than planet dwellers.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
As Heron said. It would depend on the current ozone layer thickness in your world. Most people would be brown unless everyone has a suite or some other technology that minimizes exposure to/ or absorption of UV rays.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I wouldn't be thrown by race, but I might be thrown by shade. 'Dark chocolate' is the colour of an African living in a sunny place. It's not the colour of an African living on a spaceship with little UV exposure. Unless she's dark for some reason other than melanin (which is perfectly valid... especially in an artificially created human. But as a reader I'd be curious about that, so a few more hints wouldn't go amiss).

Last edited:

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Though I do like the fact that it gives Pix an extra excuse to lick Jimmy, which is always wholesome family fun entertainment.

Um...

That is, licking his check <_< >_>

Sounds fun. But would they know the chocolate/vanilla verbal thing in the far future? If the lovers aren't obsessed with all their little differences and simularities...why not have a set of differences and simularities they can tease each other about?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I remember that ethnicity fans world-over took it as a huge sign of pride that somewhere in Starship Troopers Heinlein pointed out (almost throwawayishly) that Johnny Rico was Filipino. To him, the race didn't matter at all.

To Rico's fans, it did.

Take that as you will. My own views on race and science fiction are located here:

http://www.bbtmagazine.com/the-great-race/

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Just as a note, I accidentally cut off the bit before where it was made clear Jimmy was talking...in the quote.

Now, I thought more on it while I slumbered and, well, humanity is exposed to roughly the same levels of UV they would be on old Earth. Mostly due to their sunlamps, which apes real sunlight.

And, well, throughout the book, there are (way too many) references to contemporary Earth. Its all part of my pretentious, stuck up political satire. So the chocolate/vanilla reference works.

I'm gonna have to touch up a lotta stuff in E.L.F, though...the novel that is.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I remember that ethnicity fans world-over took it as a huge sign of pride that somewhere in Starship Troopers Heinlein pointed out (almost throwawayishly) that Johnny Rico was Filipino. To him, the race didn't matter at all.

To Rico's fans, it did.

Take that as you will. My own views on race and science fiction are located here:

http://www.bbtmagazine.com/the-great-race/

Quite good article, D. Dad once wrote down Human as his race on the airport form... the US government was not amused.

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
When Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea books came out, she surprised some readers by making the main character, like most others in the series, a person of color; she also surprised some by not revealing this fact immediately. She did this on purpose, from what I understand. Part of the reason she delayed the reveal (casual though it was) was to let the white readers really identify with Ged, the MC, which they might not have otherwise. I'm pretty sure I've read that she made her world largely non-white partly as a reaction to the fact that the sci-fi and fantasy genre is (or was then, at least) kind of lacking in representations of non-white characters.

I know she's said that this meant a lot to a lot of people of color; I'm white m'self, so I can't speak from personal experience here, but I've read at least one article penned by a person of color who concurred with what LeGuin said. I think sometimes people who do see themselves represented a lot don't really get how important it actually is, or how it can hurt to never or rarely get to see a character who looks like you (general you) in books, movies, whatever. Or if they only see shallow, very minor, or vilainous portrayals, which has been the case for a lot of minority groups in popular culture. As a woman I've certainly seen my fair share of horrible, stereotypical female characters; as a gay woman I'm well aware of the dubious legacy of GLBT characters, particularly in film. It can definitely get under my skin.

I'm pretty sure things have changed in the sci-fi/fantasy world since the Earthsea books were first published, decades ago. But you know, when they recently adapted A Wizard of Earthsea for the sci-fi channel, they cast Ged (and I think pretty much all of the major characters) as white... which pissed a lot of people off, including LeGuin, so I don't think things have changed so much as I'd have liked.

Also, I think sci-fi and fantasy works have the most opportunity for, well, diversity of all sorts (green-skinned tri-sexed aliens included). Why not take advantage of that? Why not play around with it? It's one of the most seductive things about the genre for me, that anything is possible; it's really quite freeing.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Skin color is based on melanin amount and exposure to Sol's UV rays. Darker skin could be induced by tanning lights on a ship and also, because of lack of natural light, melanin might be given to assist sleep--as it is today. Lack of UV would likely make long-term spacers paler than planet dwellers.

I believe that melanin is what makes our skin dark, and MELATONIN is what we give people to help them sleep :)

Status
Not open for further replies.