2057-awesome, yet terrifying

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ever seen the movie "The Fly?" The original is from 1968, and there was a remake in 1986.

Long story short, you could lose more than 10 pounds...

Oh, gawd. I DO remember that movie. I haven't thought about that in years. Wasn't it creepy? They did a remake of that didn't they?

eta: you did say that. my brain needs to catch up with my eyes. think they'll come up with eyes like those in 'Dune'?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I like the show -- kind of a mix of science and science fiction.

But I can't stand Michio Kaku. He's everywhere and he's annoying. He wants to be the Carl Sagan of our generation so bad...

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I wrote a story about something like this once. Basically the concept of it is what if? What if technology becomes to advanced for us to control? What if the very thing we depend on becomes too powerful for us? What if the one thing we least expect to do anything wrong turns on us?

I think that we'll see great technological advances that could really make a difference in society in the next fifty years, but some point in time, there's gonna have to be a limit.

It's like the Matrix. " Everything that has a beginning has an end." Everything can only go so far, or live so long before it's put in it's place.
I agree. Technology will end up screwing us over something terrible one day.

"That that has a beginning has an end." Just like technology, just like humanity. It's in human nature to keep things new, spunky, innovative. As long as humans roam this Earth, technological leaps will too. But then, humanity has to end sometime. That, and I believe, only then, will technology stop growing.

But, that terrible end could come sooner than we all think.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I like the show -- kind of a mix of science and science fiction.

But I can't stand Michio Kaku. He's everywhere and he's annoying. He wants to be the Carl Sagan of our generation so bad...
Science fiction is what sparks science fact for the future. Someone dreams it up, someone else builds on that dream, and before we know it, another someone is using that dream to make his morning coffee. The future is bound to be a mix of science and science fiction- it's inevitable. To what extent will we take it, though? That's was fascinates, and worries, me. The future is going to be wild, that's for sure.

Kaku is a brilliant man, but I agree. He's a wonderful scientist, but they give him too much TV time and credibility. Stay where all the other scientists stay, Kaku- behind the project, not in front of the camera. Publicity never got science to step.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, gawd. I DO remember that movie. I haven't thought about that in years. Wasn't it creepy? They did a remake of that didn't they?

eta: you did say that. my brain needs to catch up with my eyes. think they'll come up with eyes like those in 'Dune'?

I mistyped, the original was in 1958, not 1968. I saw it on TV in the early 1970's. I didn't see the remake, but I vagely recall seeing a spoof of it on SNL.

Now everything is available on these neat little time capsule discs, though Netflix just calls 'em DVD's.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think energy will ever be free. It's such a money hog, why would any want to make it free?
I think it was more marketing than anything else, "tell your comgressman to fund Fusion Research, so we can make electricity for free! It was said seriously back in the '60's, that with fusion energy electric power would be too cheap to meter. I have no clue if it was inadvertent or intentional, but they forgot that even if what came out of the generating station were somehow miraculously truly free, transmission lines still need maintenance and such, and that has to be paid for. But if commercial fusion had succeeded, there's little doubt electricity would be cheaper.

As for having Alzheimer's in the future- don't worry about it. You'll be 221, jogging every morning, and still sharp as a tack. Until the 12 year old hacks into your health monitoring implant, located in your arm or something, and screws everything up. Then, you'll shrivel into dust and die. :D

I''ve been reading all about this in Kurzweil's books. The latest is a woman divorces her husband to be with her virtual digital assistant. That has to be the worst, to have your wife leave you for a computer.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think it was more marketing than anything else, "tell your comgressman to fund Fusion Research, so we can make electricity for free! It was said seriously back in the '60's, that with fusion energy electric power would be too cheap to meter. I have no clue if it was inadvertent or intentional, but they forgot that even if what came out of the generating station were somehow miraculously truly free, transmission lines still need maintenance and such, and that has to be paid for. But if commercial fusion had succeeded, there's little doubt electricity would be cheaper.

I''ve been reading all about this in Kurzweil's books. The latest is a woman divorces her husband to be with her virtual digital assistant. That has to be the worst, to have your wife leave you for a computer.
I don't doubt for a minute that energy is putting a pretty penny in someone's pocket and that's one of the only reasons that it's not free, or close to it. We have the knowledge to make it much cheaper, and more efficient, but the Big Guy won't let it happen just yet. I'm thankful I don't have to pay bills....

Heeheehee. "So who did she leave you for, man?" "...EMPU 3.0" "...Wow.... Bummer...."