Rejectomancy

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe what I've gotten is more accurately described as tiered forms. Last time it was "close but no cigar - send more!". This time it was "we don't have time to respond to every submission (go away)". Sigh. The second one is hard to get when you liked your story.:cry:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe what I've gotten is more accurately described as tiered forms. Last time it was "close but no cigar - send more!". This time it was "we don't have time to respond to every submission (go away)". Sigh. The second one is hard to get when you liked your story.:cry:

I find it hard to get upset about rejections from Clarkesworld. The chance of getting an acceptance is ridiculously low and as such their reasons for rejection are more broad than somewhere that gets less subs. I reckon in some cases it can be something as little as the title or character name.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Pemako. I agree with P.D., I believe they only accept like one in a thousand, so it's no putdown of your abilities at least. :)

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everybody.

You know, something I always wonder about. Theoretically, at least, it would seem to be easier to get into Asimov's and F&SF - I mean, they accept more than 12 stories a year from slush, don't they? - but according to the Duotrope stats they're just about as tough as Clarkesworld. What gives?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got my rejection from Clarkesworld too. I had a glimmer of hope that this one had a chance.

Theoretically, at least, it would seem to be easier to get into Asimov's and F&SF - I mean, they accept more than 12 stories a year from slush, don't they? - but according to the Duotrope stats they're just about as tough as Clarkesworld. What gives?
That should only mean they accept and reject Duotrope users equally. It also means someone is getting their short stories published and is not reporting it.

Last edited:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, three at once again! Two really nice, detailed personals from ASIM second round readers and The Washington Pastime.

The third is from Apex. The read email was from 1.08 and the rejection at 1.08. As I suspected with my last rejection from there, I don't think they are even reading the stories in the slush at the moment. Which after a thirty day wait, is ludicrous!! I'm not sending anything more to them as they clearly have a joker doing slush.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations, PD. I've had the insta-rejection from Apex before as well and that stings.

How long did Washington Pastime take to get back to you? I've had a story with them for 23 days now. Queried about it at 21 and no response yet.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
How long did Washington Pastime take to get back to you? I've had a story with them for 23 days now. Queried about it at 21 and no response yet.

Alex, I've always received my rejections within 2-3 days from them. Hmm, maybe it's under consideration? Or it got lost. :(

Boo, that sucks, Pan. Did they at least send an email saying they were closing? I know Linger did when they closed.

Last edited:

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Boo, that sucks, Pan. Did they at least send an email saying they were closing? I know Linger did when they closed.

The post says people should have got emails but I haven't had one.

I just got an insta-reject from Apex as well. I don't think it's that they aren't reading subs, I suspect it's just that slushies/editors aren't sending the first email saying somebody is reading it when they actually open the story and it's getting sent with the rejections. They clearly read stories, as they always have new content.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I checked my Apex rejections. The two emails always come together.

I've got five from them and they are all timed the same, except one. That's a minute later and was probably clicked just before and just after the minute ticked over.

The first one is from May and the last one from October.

The 'read' notification says the same every time.

It says 'has read', not will be read, or is being read.
I think it's just the way they use the system.
I'm going to keep subbing to them.

Hi *****,

Your story "******" has been read by one of our editors. You should soon know whether "In Return" has been rejected or passed on for further consideration.

Sincerely,

The Apex Team

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
The third is from Apex. The read email was from 1.08 and the rejection at 1.08. .

Nah, they send both emails after they have read the doc. Some kind of weird thing in their process, but I often get the read email, and then the rejection within a few seconds of each other, and sometimes the rejection has had personal notes attached that indicated they read the story.

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Lightspeed and Penumbra rejections.

Analog and Stupefying Stories should be considering my submissions in the next few days, so I expect to hear more soon. :p

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
All crickets. ETA: R from Nanoism for Meltdown. It's been tweaked (better title) and sent back out to Trapeze. :)

My sub to Shimmer is at 17 days so expecting a response on that by the end of the week. Also looking for one from TNY soon (at 132 days at the moment).

Last edited:

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Argh.

The silence is so...silent.

No news anywhere. I'm almost to the point of shrieking, "Please, please just reject me already!"

I do not. Instead I continue to work on a never-ending story. I keep promising myself it's almost over, but it never is.

Argh.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Argh.

The silence is so...silent.

No news anywhere....

Must be holiday crickets for all of us. 1 reply in the past 10 days for about 20 stories out at the moment. Did get a new story subbed late last week, though and wrote the first paragraph for yet another new story this morning before plunging back into NaNo-madness.

Duotrope is hinting at me that I should expect lots of replies soon. Maybe I'll get to "The End" first on the novel...

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Nah, they send both emails after they have read the doc. Some kind of weird thing in their process, but I often get the read email, and then the rejection within a few seconds of each other, and sometimes the rejection has had personal notes attached that indicated they read the story.

Good knowledge. Seems odd they'd send over the first one at all, it's optional on HP.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Crickets here. Whenever the silence stretches out too long, I dig out old 'retired' stories and send them out again just to increase my chances of getting a response. I have a vampire story that has gotten lots of good feedback, so I think it's time for it to make the rounds again.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
A round of hugs for everybody. :e2grouphu

I've had a few R's trickling in the past few days: 1 from Unstuck, 1 from Penumbra, and 1 early-early this morning from DSF. Fun, fun.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection for Transfiguration from Trapeze. Personal, though. She said she enjoyed reading it but it wasn't quite surreal enough for the magazine.

Oh, well.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Empty inbox. I would have thought Analog, at least, would have gotten it over by now.

Stupefying Stories is taking longer than I thought. Anyone that has submitted to them know how the process goes? You send it. They respond after awhile and tell you it's in the review queue. And then an acceptance or rejection follows after? How long is it in that "review queue" before they get to it?