The Bouncy Castle in Space

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
apparently we are going to try to melt jellybeans in the microwave and mold them together into a blob...

Sounds dangerous. I would first reach an agreement over who has to scrape the exploded jellybean glop out of the microwave. Call it a pre-nuke agreement.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, after our faculty meeting today, we came out of the library and heard HUGE screams coming from the girls' bathroom...

Turns out there was a stinkbug in between a little girl and the door. She was hysterical. It took three adults to talk her out of the bathroom.

I think maybe she'd better not go to the Philippines, either.

:roll:

Good luck with the science/bakery experiment! Have a fire extinguisher handy. ;)

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
A year or two ago, it was my son's turn to do the edible cell project. He'd been watching those cake decorating shows on Food Network, so he insisted in doing his out of gum paste, fondant and candy. Then he realized that working with gum paste and fondant isn't as easy as it looks. And that it tastes terrible. lol Shortly afterwards, he lost interest in the whole channel.

I can just picture three teachers trying to coax a hysterical little girl out of the bathroom! I bet she's reallllllly careful next time she has to go! :) :)

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More fun times at school! Second graders: cute! Fourth graders: a little less cute, but they make up for it by being more interesting and good at doing stuff. The #1 nerdiest 2nd grade boy today wore a Star Wars Lego t-shirt, oversized and BELTED AT THE WAIST LIKE A STAR WARS TUNIC. I could die. They are quite a charming bunch. My special needs kiddos have been very well-behaved and hard-working so far. Yay for them!

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
More fun times at school! Second graders: cute! Fourth graders: a little less cute, but they make up for it by being more interesting and good at doing stuff. The #1 nerdiest 2nd grade boy today wore a Star Wars Lego t-shirt, oversized and BELTED AT THE WAIST LIKE A STAR WARS TUNIC. I could die. They are quite a charming bunch. My special needs kiddos have been very well-behaved and hard-working so far. Yay for them!

How adorable...now THAT is a true Star Wars fan. The Force is strong with that one! :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I have a cold. How can one smallish head hold so much snot?!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, melting jellybeans doesn't work quite like he hoped. They did get softer, but not really smashable. Plus my straight-A student is a slow learner and touched the hot bowl 3 TIMES before remembering we own a thing called a hot pad.

Oh, well. Gel frosting works to smush the melted jellybeans together.

So we've got a giant marshmallow pierced with Twizzlers to represent the nucleus. M&Ms are lisozomes and skittles are ribozomes and I don't know what the green gel squiggles are supposed to be... I've decided to remove myself from the contamination--uh, I mean, construction site.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today I did an art project, and I got my little student to converse appropriately with one of his classmates, and I helped a confused small child with a bloody nose, and I was really sad when I had to leave 2nd grade. 4th grade is not bad though. The teacher was trying to persuade one of the young nerdlings to read a zombie novel (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie), but he wouldn't. I sat down to observe my student on the sly from afar, and read the first few pages of it. I told the kid he should read it because it was completely disgusting...by the end of class he had snuck over and checked it out of the class library :D I'm a good bookseller.

AnthonyPearson

Registered
Reaction score
I like the bouncy castle! I'm the school counselor at my elementary school and one of my favorite "lunch bunch" games that I play is the round-about-story. I'll start with a simple sentence (such as):
"Once there was a robot who was low on battery power..."
and then the student next to me will have to make the robot do something for a sentence or two. As we "pass the story" it gets funnier and crazier. After the story has run it's course (which, it's funny, because you can tell when the kids are more or less done with it), you see how much of the story can be remembered.

so the kids are working both parts of the brain, they are working together, and I don't actually have to worry about my therapy games getting covered in cafeteria mac and cheese.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, I just have one thing to say about your new avie: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Welcome to the bouncy castle, AnthonyPearson! That sounds like fun education. :Jump:

Last edited:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks swachski - that's my little louse head. Although I think/hope I got them all. Yuck!

Anthony - I used to do that for the kids' room parties. And I'd also write out simple stories and let them supply missing words - filled out ahead of time and drawn from a hat. They liked that one too.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hallo fellow bouncers! I hope everyone is having a lice-free, delicious, and educational weekend! I will try not to go on and on about it anymore, but I had an awesome first week of work, and on Friday afternoon all the staff went to the bar two doors down from the school. Got to love a boss who will buy a round :D She gave me a very nice compliment about my work so I am in quite a good mood. And one of my students declared her love for me. The other one is not capable of such, but he did give me a cuddle so yay.

(Quotes From The Second Grade: the other classroom aide, who sports a large festive beard, reports that the little girl who sits next to our little special needs student told him (the aide) "I love you! Can I touch your beard?" Unfortunately for her, she was told she would have to settle for a friendly handshake.)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, so far my weekend is lice-free and eventful...

Woke up to discover I forgot to write the house insurance into the check register, leading me to believe I had money left to spend... $100 in NSF charges.

But things turned around a bit this evening when, after almost 3 months of waiting, I heard from my friend who has been stuck in Iran! It looks like he's bribed enough people and paid enough fines and will be back in the US in about 2 months. And he still wants to get together... :)

Things are looking up.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
ALRIGHT, MsJudy! Hope it can develop into a nice friendship, or whatever. And I feel for ya with that overdraft mishap. I hate when that happens.

Kitty - it sounds like you're going to have an interesting year. I miss being in the classroom, but since I'm only a volunteer (just don't want to go the sub route) my son has informed me it's not cool for me to go to his class. Maybe I can go back to the Kindergarten class.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your reunion, MsJudy!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
4_1_1.gif
a gentle bounce after an exhausting day...