Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My car passed its inspections today with only an optional headlight replacement. :snoopy: Cheapest one since I've been in PA. I'm VERY happy. :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pennsylvania state law mandates all cars get full mechanical inspections every year. Depending on your county of residence, whether or not you've also got an emissions test. Of course, I have to. *sigh*

On the positive side, it keeps car insurance insanely low. On the negative side, it always comes at a time the car owner can't really afford it.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Pennsylvania state law mandates all cars get full mechanical inspections every year. Depending on your county of residence, whether or not you've also got an emissions test. Of course, I have to. *sigh*

On the positive side, it keeps car insurance insanely low. On the negative side, it always comes at a time the car owner can't really afford it.

I had an emissions test just the other day. Failed it. Badly.

Car passed fine. It was just me that failed. According to my wife.
:D

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Goodness, this thread needs some fresh blood.

:D

The car is going for inspection, today. I know you've all been anxiously waiting for that update. :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
May you have the same luck I did, Sara. :D

Housemate and I have been working on the overarching plotline for the next 5-10 anthologies of COTV. I started flowcharting it and it looks like we're stone out of our minds, it's so tangled and complicated, but I think it's great that the vast amount of stuff all interconnects and one event leads to some activity in 2-5 other stories between the five authors. Been on the phone so much with the other authors, confirming this does tie in with what they were planning. Since Housemate and I own the world, it's our responsibility to make sure things jive together and we're not all writing unconnected stories. We find that kind of stuff kinda boring.

COTV is a multi-author Fantasy soap opera--lots of work, but lots of fun.

That's what I've been doing, anyway.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Spent every spare moment for two weeks going over my printed manuscript, checking everything. If a page was clean on the first pass, I went over it two more times to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that every word was the best word I could use.

I go to incorporate those changes into my manuscript file, and the file isn't there.

No problem. It's on Dropbox. I back up all my writing to Dropbox.

Not there.

No problem. I back up everything to a thumb drive.

Go through about a bazillion thumb drives from my drawer.

No MS file.

No problem, I emailed it to myself at work, and even though they purge emails every 30 days, I saved a file to my personal network drive.

Personal network drive GONE. No longer mapped, doesn't exist on the network.

No problem. It's in my saved email from when I sent it to myself.

Nope. New hard drive, and old emails were corrupt.

No problem. I emailed it to my mom and brother, and they probably still have copies.

Nope.

PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Oh, no.

That's the reality of my life for the last five days.

The last two nights, I've woken up from a dream, sure I dreamed the location of the file, rushed out to my desk at 2:00 am, only to have my hopes dashed once again.

I put in a ticket at the office this morning to have my personal network drive restored. There's work stuff on it, too. Not just my writing. It must still be out there somewhere.

Right?

RIGHT????

*Fingers crossed*

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'll have absolutely everything possible crossed for you! That's so terrible, Myrea. I mean, you've got the printed manuscript, but still, I can't believe every single other backup is just gone. How does that happen? :Hug2:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And people laugh at me when I say I print out every chapter as it's finished, just in case. Because there's always a case.

When there were only floppy disks (and I do mean the floppies), I saved every thing to two disks: active in the open box and one set stored in a closed box on a shelf. So when the glass of sticky sweetness spilled into the open box, it wasn't a complete disaster. The "Trek discs" were nicer, 'cause they weren't open to the media by default, but habits die hard and they saved massive retyping when various kids and puppies got hold of the Trek discs.

With the advent of hard drives, I got lazier, because I always had two hard drives and saved to both. Then a stupid shitehead tech formatted BOTH hard drives when only the boot drive need to be worked on and I lost 20 years of writing in one bonehead move. So much for getting lazy. Fortunately, I did have all the active works saved to a zip drive and printed archives of all older books, so I didn't "lose" everything.

Now I have two thumb drives, three email accounts and two friends who get emails (I email regularly to friends and my other two email accounts at the same time) plus regular CD backups of all active writing folders. I don't trust on-line back-ups because their servers are still just computers and I don't trust them anymore than I do my own. You learn the hard way to be paranoid.

Myrealana> I hope something comes across for you so you don't have to retype every word back in and fight the urge to "tweak as you type" and then start the process of checking for typos all over again. It's a royal PITA. But at least you do have the last-ditch hard copy.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
And people laugh at me when I say I print out every chapter as it's finished, just in case. Because there's always a case.

After reading all these posts I just made sure to double back-up my latest writings.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Crisis averted.

The network drive at work was restored. MS file was right there where I left it.

Extra backups made. Now, I guess I have no excuse not to finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.