It's Coming Along Nicely

OCEAN

Banned
Reaction score
But...I have a question. Its a memoir. Do I have to state one way or the other on the cover if its a memoir or fiction? I know, stupid question just want to know if its an option or not.

Ocean

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
But...I have a question. Its a memoir. Do I have to state one way or the other on the cover if its a memoir or fiction? I know, stupid question just want to know if its an option or not.

Ocean

Well, if it's a memoir then you can't state it's fiction. Now as to whether you should warn , er tell folks what it is.... eh, personally, if I don't know you as an author, I like to know. That way when you write about the ghost in the hallway I know it's really really true and not made up. Different set of shivers.

So long answer short-- sure, it's an option. Just make sure it's a truthful one.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
If you're selling the truth, be sure to sell the truth- not half truth half fiction-otherwise there's no point in calling it a memoir. I like to know if it's fact or fiction before I pick it up... maybe a subtitle, A Memior, Stories from the Life of, etc. Or, if you don't like that idea, I feel brief introductions are always nice ways to slide into memoirs.

OCEAN

Banned
Reaction score
Yes its all true...every last word. I have a Memoir by YADDA YADDA. But, I want to protect the people in the book....and myself. You don't usually write a memoir unless you have some distrubing people in it. Well for most.....
I did a real name change........long story. (And no I'm not a stripper!)Then I also changed names and places of course through out. Now I'm hearing I need a author bio and picture? Seriously....that will defeat the purpose.

Ocean

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Depends. If you're clever enough, you can do a picture that doesn't show your face and write a bio that doesn't give away any incriminating information. Think of a classy B&W photo, noir like, with a hat pulled down halfway over your face and the rest of your face in dark dark shadow.

Bio itself? "XXX, like most people, was born, grew up and had the usual life experiences. Not quite in the Federal Witness Protection plan, s/he guards his privacy jealously for obvious reasons." Might be a bit snarky but you get the idea.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't want to read a memoir by someone who's identity was hidden. Also, if you change everyone's name and all the places, how much of a true story is left?

Kent

learned my lesson well
Registered
Reaction score
I think Gettingby is right. If you're playing it that safe then that waters down the whole story in my opinion. In my memoir I conceal the identity of one character but that's only because I describe a crime he committed that he was not convicted of. Your memoir will be accorded more gravitas if it speaks boldly.

OCEAN

Banned
Reaction score
Can you spell sued? My story is 100% true that doesn't protect me if I'm stupid enough to use their names.The story is where the truth lies, it doesn't matter what I call them. I've already spoken to a lawyer. Anyhow that wasn't my question.

I'm leaving it as a memoir on the front cover...but not liking the bio, picture part.
Thanks Ruth2 I'll have to do more research on how to handle this with kit glove. I'm on my cover with my back turned... for the back cover I might have to find a hat like you say, or maybe me bending down picking a flower with my (Y) in the air, now that might do the trick...lol.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Can you spell sued? My story is 100% true that doesn't protect me if I'm stupid enough to use their names.The story is where the truth lies, it doesn't matter what I call them. I've already spoken to a lawyer. Anyhow that wasn't my question.

I'm leaving it as a memoir on the front cover...but not liking the bio, picture part.
Thanks Ruth2 I'll have to do more research on how to handle this with kit glove. I'm on my cover with my back turned... for the back cover I might have to find a hat like you say, or maybe me bending down picking a flower with my (Y) in the air, now that might do the trick...lol.

If you go poke around in the Biographies, Memoirs (and other-- I just woke up so my mind is fuzzy) on this site you'll see where others talk about this very issue. And maybe you've already been down there to check it out.

But yes, as long as the story is true, I think it's okay. Some memoirists dealing with sensitive and/or legally liable material change the names of people and places.

John Soares

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should definitely indicate it's a memoir, if not on the cover than at least on the back of the book. People want to know if what they're reading is fact or fiction.

I'm not sure how you're planning to sell this, but a mainstream publisher may be the best option given your desire to remain anonymous.

OCEAN

Banned
Reaction score
I wish John.....but mainstream publishing takes to long, and its time to get my story out there. So I'm going to self publish, that's why I was asking how I can get around these issues. I gotta tell you, its exciting!

Cheers
Ocean