Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
There are a couple of authors who were fairly well known when my first book first came out, and blurbed it, and two of them were at my launch (just a lunch, small group) and both said they really loved it, and they meant it.

Both are on twitter and tweet away a lot of the time. And in both cases, their careers have really taken off. They both write UK bestsellers, one of them won the Romantic Novelist Prize last year. One of them follows me on Twitter, and sometimes we exchange messages. But I am not a very active tweeter and really only go there occasionally. I sometimes send her messages, for instance whenever a TV adaptation of one of her books comes on German TV, and there are all sorts of interviews and stuff of her on TV here. So we chat about that mostly. She has 8000 followers. She's a really, really nice, warm hearted person. We used to share an agent. Once, my agent and I went to visit her when she was in hospital, and she remembers.

Now that I am about to self-publish that very book as an e-book, would it be very rude to approach her directly about it, and ask for a mention, or should I simply post a general announcement when it comes out and hope she picks it up?

I just hate the idea of being pushy about my book. Even to tweet about it generally when it comes out goes against the grain. But I know I should by soliciting all the help I can get...

Then there's another author, very well known, whom I once did a book tour with. Of course, I was the very junior author on that tour and she was the star attraction. But she too gave the same book a brilliant blurb. But it was so very long ago...

confused.com

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no concrete advice but guess the simplest approach is to imagine the situation reversed, and in the final analysis only you know the strength or depth of your existing relationships with these writers.

I'm sure you will know how to raise the matter in conversation - maybe just mentioning the book's imminent re-release will prompt a response upon which you can build.

Etiquette usually relates to approaching strangers or non-friends and you are obviously not a stranger to them.

Good luck.

Last edited:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Assuming you've kept the blurb the author gave on the new edition, I think giving her a heads up is polite anyway. She can then decide for herself whether or not to promote it.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Assuming you've kept the blurb the author gave on the new edition, I think giving her a heads up is polite anyway. She can then decide for herself whether or not to promote it.

Exactly what I would do! Good luck aruna :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, if the writer who won the RNA prize is the one I think it is, she's lovely, kind, and approachable, and I bet she will be fine with you contacting her like this.

Good luck!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Results! Since I didn't have her email, I approached one of the authors (the one I know less well) on Twitter and asked. She immediately got back to me and said of course, and asked for a reminder what she had said, which I poste dback to her.
Her reply:
you can put all that it still applies and it deserved to get more acclaim than it got at the time x

And she also told me to let her know when it comes out so she can retweet it. Hurray!

I haven't approached the other one yet as she is travelling, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.