The Best Endings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathedral Goth

Registered
Reaction score
I actually have to agree with zahra on The Sixth Sense (though I personally hesitate to use absolutes like "best ever"). I wasn't expecting a twist, either. Now, that's all I expect from Mr. Shyamalan).

In lit., I do like the ending to M.R. James's "Canon Alberic's Scrap-book."

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have to agree with zahra on The Sixth Sense (though I personally hesitate to use absolutes like "best ever"). I wasn't expecting a twist, either. Now, that's all I expect from Mr. Shyamalan).

In lit., I do like the ending to M.R. James's "Canon Alberic's Scrap-book."
I say things like 'best ever' because I regress to the age of an eight-year-old sometimes. Just humour me, it'll go away...

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
When it comes to horror, I think the best endings are really beginnings.

To me a good horror ending is one where you finish the story as the character realizes just how bad things are, and that they will never get better.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree with Pet Semetery if we were using the criteria: "made me sleep with the lights on when I finished it" kind of ending.

I prefer horror endings, especially in books, that don't end on too positive. I don't mind when the good guys win, but I prefer if there's some indication that they've been profoundly changed by what they went through. You can't be the same person you were before the hordes of zombies, after all. :)

Film-wise, I have to go with "The Thing." If they'd somehow managed to get out of there with a happy ending, it really wouldn't have fit at all. "Sixth Sense" might have made the list... except I saw that one coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.