• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Objective Entertainment

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
cao, i'm disgusted. someone should go post on her blog and ask her to speak to this practice. she's obviously going to ignore any emails sent to her. I vote you go. lol seriously.

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
My response

I just sent Tracey Ravanelle this email:

I welcome further discussion with Objective Entertainment regarding review and representation of my work. However, I am not interested in self-publishing and therefore not open to talks with Authorhouse.

Last edited:

The Gunshark

Registered
Reaction score

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, well, I sent a note saying I was not interested until I had clarification of her process and the name of the publishers and here is our answer:

"author house or iuniverse they have the number 5 book on this weeks NY times list."

So there you have it!
Can anyone tell me why an agent is referring to a self publishing house?
Funny. I just went down the NY Best-Seller Lists and couldn't find anything published by AuthorHouse or iUniverse at #5 on any of them. Nor could I find an "upcoming best-seller list", mentioned upthread.

Either the agency's suddenly changed their practices or an employee's getting fired later this week.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Ben, she's talking about the book The Shack which is self published and was on the NY Times Best sellers list. I dont' know if it was self published through authorhouse or iUniverse, since the writer formed his own "publising company" in other words created a named company that had the book printed by whomever.

ETA it's number one this week. *sigh*

The Gunshark

Registered
Reaction score
The reply said "this week's", so that's what I looked up.

She is actually talking about the book "Still Alice". This one started out on iUniverse and got picked up by Simon and Schuster.

The fact that Ms. Ravenelle can't get her facts straight is kind of sickening, IMHO.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I say this alot, and people are gonna talk, but I <heart> CaoPaux.

Hoping it's the assistant trying to get by on an assistant's (non) salary that's taken the liberties with this one, and not the agent working alongside another who posted a seven figure deal on PM today.

I know the state of the industry is troubled at best, but if it's the agent, I'm taking up decoupage.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm going to have to take this agency down a few pegs. When I queried them, they tried to pull some sort of Self-Publishing angle and may be associated with iUniverse and AuthorHouse.

Gunshark, HippieGirl, and Ms. Jem, please contact me ASAP at [email protected]. I really want to know more about these apparent referrals.

AH has had this $100 referral offer for some time, BTW. Till now, though, I've only heard of disreputable agents using it.

- Victoria

Last edited:

The Gunshark

Registered
Reaction score
Gunshark, HippieGirl, and Ms. Jem, please contact me ASAP at [email protected]. I really want to know more about these apparent referrals.

AH has had this $100 referral offer for some time, BTW. Till now, though, I've only heard of disreputable agents using it.

- Victoria

Here's the following email I sent to all of the managers with my correspondence.

[FONT=&quot]I am writing this letter based on a previous query that I have written, which has resulted in the correspondence below. My question is: Why is your agency referring writers to self-publishing services like AuthorHouse and iUniverse? Everyone in the writing community knows that AuthorHouse gives a $100 kickback per client they refer. This has happened not just to myself, but to other writers. If you wish to give my work a serious evaluation, I am still open to further dialogue (query is at the very bottom).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any assistance is greatly appreciated.[/FONT]

HippieGirl

Registered
Reaction score
EJ's blog

I already asked E.Jote to explain via her blog. My posts are awaiting moderation ;-) Doubt they will show up.

Victoria, I emailed you but received a response saying it could take a week to hear back. Email me please and I will share the emails w/you. BTW, I cc'd Elizabeth on the correspondence and asked for an explanation as well as noted Tracey being evasive.

Thinkhappy at live com
Please - nobody spam me ;-) I get enough!

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...Please - nobody spam me ;-) I get enough!

Most spamming is done via bot these days, HippieGirl.

Just edit your post, put a space between all words, and change the "@" to "at".

Human types will understand. Bots won't. You'll minimize your spam enormously.

Jackson76

Registered
Reaction score
you guys are really motivated to take this agency down a notch. why the hostility about an agency that you have no connection to?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
you guys are really motivated to take this agency down a notch. why the hostility about an agency that you have no connection to?

If they're doing something sneaky or otherwise unreputable, people should know. Wouldn't you want to know whether an agency's up to par or not?

HippieGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not out to get any agency or take them down a notch. However, I think it is completely inappropriate for a literary agency to forward a writer to a self-publisher on the pretense of the publisher being "trusted" and giving the author the hope to be represented by the agent. I would imagine that many new authors take that ball and run with it without knowing anything more than the fact that a "reputable" literary agency referred them and thought it would take them one step closer to publishing.

What I can't understand, Jackson, is why it wouldn't bother someone. If you are a querying writer, then you know that every query is an opportunity, and how frustrating it is to receive no response, much less receive a hopeful one that really equates to nothing more than an avenue you've already not chosen to follow:)

Sorry, but if you saw the nature of Tracey's email path, it was evasive yet obviously trying to impress upon me - or anyone - that going to Authorhouse could land them representation by Elizabeth Jote.

Jackson76

Registered
Reaction score
If they're doing something sneaky or otherwise unreputable, people should know. Wouldn't you want to know whether an agency's up to par or not?

well, they sell a lot of books to publishers, which is my main criteria. the rest of the stuff isn't important. my agent can do whatever they want in their free time as long as they sell my book.

Jackson76

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not out to get any agency or take them down a notch. However, I think it is completely inappropriate for a literary agency to forward a writer to a self-publisher on the pretense of the publisher being "trusted" and giving the author the hope to be represented by the agent. I would imagine that many new authors take that ball and run with it without knowing anything more than the fact that a "reputable" literary agency referred them and thought it would take them one step closer to publishing.

What I can't understand, Jackson, is why it wouldn't bother someone. If you are a querying writer, then you know that every query is an opportunity, and how frustrating it is to receive no response, much less receive a hopeful one that really equates to nothing more than an avenue you've already not chosen to follow:)

Sorry, but if you saw the nature of Tracey's email path, it was evasive yet obviously trying to impress upon me - or anyone - that going to Authorhouse could land them representation by Elizabeth Jote.

I know what you are saying. It just seems like there is a lot of intense speculation (and wasted effort) on trying to take this agency down, when in all likelihood it seems like this wasn't even sanctioned by the principals of the agency. My advice is that people should spend their time focusing on the positive query responses instead of this type of stuff. That is what I do.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
well, they sell a lot of books to publishers, which is my main criteria. the rest of the stuff isn't important. my agent can do whatever they want in their free time as long as they sell my book.

Even if you had to spend thousands of dollars self-publishing and promoting said book just so they'll think you're worth their time to represent? That's not how it's supposed to work. That's just... wrong.

HippieGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you are saying. It just seems like there is a lot of intense speculation (and wasted effort) on trying to take this agency down, when in all likelihood it seems like this wasn't even sanctioned by the principals of the agency. My advice is that people should spend their time focusing on the positive query responses instead of this type of stuff. That is what I do.

I see your point, however, it was sanctioned. My email and query was forwarded from Elizabeth Jote directly to Tracey Ravenelle.

Usually, a negative response is what it is. But this is not right. You mentioned that all you care about is that they sell books. Well, that may be true, but that is not ALL they do at this point :)

BTW - I'm not "taking them down". I came to AW to check the Bewares area about them when I received Tracey's email. The fact that several people are being referred to Authorhouse or iuniverse made their inappropriate act come to light. Obviously, had I received a positive response from them, this thread might not have come up. But I think it's important for me to find out what they mean when they say they are referring me to a publisher. A more reputable agent may have really meant that they were trying to sell the idea of my book to a publisher - GREAT! So as you can see, clarification was necessary.

In general - I agree - if they're scammy - move on and move forward :)

Jackson76

Registered
Reaction score
Even if you had to spend thousands of dollars self-publishing and promoting said book just so they'll think you're worth their time to represent? That's not how it's supposed to work. That's just... wrong.

no, but they have lots of real clients who they don't require self publish.

everyone knows that self publishing is pointless 99% of the time, so obviously that isn't the way to go.