All Things Middle Grade

darkdawn_xo

New fish
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED The Healing Spell. Of course, I really like books about the south. I wrote one, and it was based in the 60's, and several agents actually requested a full on it.

But it was really too young for YA and too long for MG, so I'm gonna rewrite it one day and fix that, if I can.

Yeah, one day I'm gonna do lots of stuff.

I would LOVE to read your book about the 60's south ^_^

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
awwww, I don't know what to say other than thanks to both of you. If I ever finish my current project, I'm determined to return to it, but it really does need lots of work.

But I'm not going to forget you both offered!

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I feel so frustrated right now. I'm a housewife and my house is always dirty, I don't cook a lot and the laundry is piled up. I want to write, but can rarely find the time. I feel like a complete failure. I'm busy with three kids and whatever I can get done at home and family that lives 2 - 4 hours away in three different directions. I'm just venting. I feel like my success clock is ticking away and I haven't accomplished any of the things I wanted to do with my life. I just want to find time to write! Is that too much to ask?

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a housewife and my house is always dirty, I don't cook a lot and the laundry is piled up.

No, no, no! Repeat after me: "I am a writer. My children are reasonably happy and well-nourished, and we generally have clothes on when we go outside."

How old are the kids? My three are now 17, 19, and 24. It does get better; it just SEEMS like it takes forever. Yeah, I know, it feels like time is slipping away, but you keep doing the best you can and snatching those precious writing moments as often as possible, and reminding yourself that that writing is higher on your list of priorities than cleaning. You're a terrific writer, and I expect to see your novel in the bookstore some day in the not-too-distant future. Hang in there.

javascript:void(0); or -- You're allowed to choose what makes you happy. And have some ice cream.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, my 12-year-old just spent half an hour asking me the most random, annoying questions. Totally disrupted my train of thought.... I feel bad, because he had food poisoning this weekend so this is the first time in 4 days that he's had the energy to talk, but did it have to be 8:00 at night? Yesterday I finally figured out how to get started on the next scene, and--no lie--within 10 minutes both boys and the dog all had a crisis only Mommy could solve.

Love the darlings to pieces, but sometimes I'd like to lock them in a cage for an hour.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
It may seem as if you'll miss your boat when it comes in, but believe me, the boat will arrive when you're ready.

It took me SOOOO long to be published, but I am here to say that it's NEVER too late! So write as much as you're able and remember that your chances of success are never going to pass you by. :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of us are in the same boat, jtrylch13. My family doesn't realize how much writing means to me, but my friends at AW know. When you look back at your life, will you say, "I had a clean house, but I never did get that book published."? Stop looking at a messy house as a failure and start looking at it as a statement of your commitment to more important adventures!

darkdawn_xo

New fish
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, all I have is time since I have no job and I'm not in school. But I have a problem with procrastination :/

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I blame Martha Stewart. She convinced us all we could ahve a magazine-like house, perfect children, jobs and cook like Julia Childs and now I'm mad at myself when I fall so short of those expectations.

Kids are all gone today and I have the next 3 - 4 hours to write. Yay!

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
lol, thanks Swachski, couldn't resist. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll listen any better if I speak in rhyme!

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack, guys! I know I should post this in the Events forum, but it's for US, the MGers. :) Everyone is welcome, in person or in spirit!

Join authors Cynthia Hand (UNEARTHLY), Timothy Power (THE BOY WHO HOWLED), and Greg van Eekhout (THE BOY AT THE END OF THE WORLD) to start the summer reading season at Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore. Readings, book autographings, and more!

Saturday June 25, 2011
Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore
7051 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Suite #302
San Diego, California

kposa

Registered
Reaction score
When you look back at your life, will you say, "I had a clean house, but I never did get that book published."?

This. I have told myself this so many times, as I stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the crumbs on the floor.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I need some book suggestions. Our family, especially my 10-year-old daughter (and me), is having a tough time dealing with the loss of one of our cats, who died unexpectedly of kidney failure. I told my daughter we should get some middle grade books about cats to donate to a classroom in need, and we could dedicate them to our cat. I need ideas for non-sad books with cats in them. Right now all I can think of are the Bad Kitty books and The Familiars. Any ideas would be helpful.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss, Dee.

There's Whittington, by Alan Armstrong.
Cunning Cat Tales - which is illustrated by one of my favorites - Emma Chichester Clark.

My son loves The Warriors series, tho it's fighting cats killing each other, so that may not be what you're looking for.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
There's the Animal Ark series. The first one is Kittens in the Kitchen. They're more chapter books than middle grade, but every book is about rescuing a different cat or dog.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sheila and Jud, those are all helpful. I hadn't heard of Whittington, and even though the animal ark are chapter books, I think if we give to a 4th grade class, it will still be okay.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I found one titled Dewey the Library Cat - I think there's a series for them, but I don't remember the author.

But if you type that in on a google search, you'll find other suggestions.

I'm really sorry, Amarie, for your family's loss. One of my kitties was ill with a UTI just a short while back.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sissy.

I've just remembered Time Cat would work, but now I don't remember how it ends. Anyone else remember if the cat is okay at the end? I know I'm being super-sensitive, but even before this, I didn't like books where a loved animal character dies. Now I can't even believe I killed off one of the minor wolf characters in W0lf Storm, though she died saving another wolf. I don't think I'll write something like that again.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, Dee. The MG cat books that spring to mind are from my childhood, so they are not exactly new ... okay, they're ancient. Jenny and the Cat Club, and Carbonel, King of the Cats .... If I think of anything more current, I'll let you know.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
You could watch THE THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA, Dee. There's a cat in it that all the kids in the village think is dead, but it's not, really. A woman they mistakenly believe is a witch brings the kitty back to life.

Before that, though, the kids give the kitty a funeral, and the kitty has a vision of Cat Heaven. Here's that clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqJGHcQll0

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
So, for any fellow Charlie Bone fans, we googled it(b/c it was too hard to walk over to the bookshelf to check a character name) and look what we found--a Charlie Bone game! Click on his house at #9 Filbert Street on the map. You can go to Bloor's Academy and take the entrance exam! I almost wish I hadn't found it--I'm sure I will waste a lot of time. http://www.charlie-bone.com/