Amazon Offering Slightly Cheaper Kindle with On-Screen Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=absowrit-20

It's $25 cheaper. The screensavers on this one are sponsored by various companies, and the ads show up at the bottom of the home screen. They also send you offers - $20 Amazon gift card for $10, 6 Audible books for $6 (normally $68), etc.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
My 3G is turned off most of the time anyway, so I think don't think the ads would bother me. How much time do you really spend looking at the screensavers, anyway? And the banner is only on the bottom of the home page; it's not in the actual books. If they offered me enough of those $20 Amazon gift cards for $10, that would be enough for me.

so-dp-screensaver._V181430214_.jpg

so-dp-homepage._V181472894_.jpg

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be grabbing a Kindle soon, and as long as there were no ads in the book itself, I'd be all for that. And the offers sweeten the deal. :)

Though only $25 cheaper? Hmm.

Last edited:

Ludicrum

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see the point of this, frankly. Anyone who can afford the ad supported Kindle can scrounge up an additional $25 for an ad-free experience. If they were offering the 3g model for that price we'd have something to talk about, but even that would be a bit of a stretch.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see the point of this, frankly. Anyone who can afford the ad supported Kindle can scrounge up an additional $25 for an ad-free experience. If they were offering the 3g model for that price we'd have something to talk about, but even that would be a bit of a stretch.

I'd have to agree. I can understand ad-supported software, but hardware? For something that's already in the triple digits in price, $25 isn't really worth worrying about. And if it is, you probably shouldn't be spending that much in the first place.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the offers, if continuing, would be the main draw.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Why in the name of fuck would ANYBODY want to save $25 bucks and get force fed advertising! Holy shit.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I would just spend the extra £25

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
I think I would just spend the extra £25
I can't stand ads (particularly something that flickers or moves while I'm reading, or trying to get through a menu system). I'd scrounge up the extra $25 just to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.