dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Vampire Lestat, Anne Rice

The savage garden?
The Dark Gift?
Immortals suffering an existential crisis?

Bloody fantastic.

u.v.ray

greatest writer of his generation
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uvray.moonfruit.com
As has been said, there are too many to pick one. So looking only at modern writers...

Atomised by Michel Houellebecq

Aside from the fact that, like Nietzsche, he has a name you can never remember how to spell, I consider Houellebecq to be one of the most important writers in the world currently at work. Predominantly my reason for saying so is the dark humour he delivers through politically incorrect social commentary.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Bag of Bones not because it was great but because it made me want to be a writer.

Agyar for subtlety and economy of words

The Cormorant for creepy atmosphere so thick it oozed off the pages

Shenanigans!

Registered
Reaction score
The first book that comes to my mind is the final Animorphs book. It doesn't really fit in with the other books mentioned here, but I was very young and the series was of great importance to me. Without it, I wouldn't be the reader I am today, and it was one of the two series that got me into writing.

However, since I was very young when I was reading them, I never really saw the themes of war the series started going for at the end. I was not expecting an ending like that. It was dark, but it wasn't happy like everything else I was reading at the time.

I do remember waking up at 6am to read the book and I do remember finishing very quickly. Afterwards, I was in a daze over the ending. It took years for me to understand what the series was going for, even with an afterword, because it dealt with themes I didn't understand at the time.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Stone City, Mitchell Smith. The story's great, dialogue is spot on, and the writing--
He sat half up, fumbled over his head for the bottom of Scooter's bunk, felt the wire and springs. "What the fuck?" The screaming continued--a high, thin, trilling note, almost beautiful, held the longest time--then stopped abruptly in a gurgle and a sneeze.
I love that damn book.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Crime and Punishment. I found it really gripping. Also really loved Umberto Eco's Foulcaut's Pendulum.

And Lovecraft, back when I was a teenager. The whole Cthulu mythos fascinated me.

My brother swears Rohinton Mistry's a Fine Balance is the best book he's ever read - I've begun it but I have a few others on the go as well but so far so good.

And to this day, the short story the Happy Prince is the only one that ever made me cry. Not even Charlotte's Web ever did.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
This thread reminds me of how my sister recently told me that she almost cried when she'd finished the Children of New Forest as a child because she would never experience anything as wonderful again. :)

My mind was blown by The Brothers Lionheart as a child. It was what finally made me want to be a writer (even though I sensibly waited with trying to write a magnus opus until I'd grown a bit). It's by Swedish writer Astrid Lindgren (of Pippi Longstocking fame) and is probably not very well-known in the English speaking world but well worth looking into (and rumour says it's currently being filmed by Tomas Alfredson, who made Let The Right One In and Tailor, Tinker, Soldier, Spy so it could be a really awesome version).

Later on, Pride & Prejudice blew my mind - it was the first book I read in English and I was about 15. Jane Austen's style just exceeded anything I'd read up until then, and it was definitely a huge marker in my reading career.

Later on, Dunnett's The Game of Kings also blew my mind, because it was so wonderfully rich and I loved how cleverly she played the reader (I didn't like the following books in the Lymond series nearly as much). But I think the book that really blew me away as an adult was A.S. Byatt's Possession. I loved the blend of story-telling and fictional non-fiction and it was just so wonderfully rich too - it almost put me off writing, because I could never manage anything like it.

In the last year, William Dalrymple's non-fiction work The Last Mughal also blew my mind, simply because he writes such exquisite prose. Reading him is a lesson in style that's useful for novelists as well as non-fiction writers and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival his latest about the First Afghan War (which I bought the other day).

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
Oooohh!

Alexandre Dumas' The Black Tulip was the first book I ever fell in love with. I want a black tulip so bad. Next love was Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Also mind-blowing and life-changing are Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Of Love and Other Demons, Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, and Salinger's utterly masterful, will not hear a word against it, Catcher in the Rye. Read that last one two years ago as a thirty-something and entirely identified with the beautiful and much-maligned Holden Caulfield.

fdesrochers

Registered
Reaction score
A number of novels had this effect:

The Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay. I didn't know this was an Arthurian-based story, which really turned out to be an alternative world that influenced our concept of the Arthurian legends. The prose are stunningly beautiful; almost depressing how far behind his callibre I hope to be, let alone produce at the moment.

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. I had to read this in an advanced English class back in high school. I was astounded how much an impact it had. I can only thank a rather avant-garde English teacher that insisted we read this in addition to the curriculum, 'because you have to.'

Lord of the Rings, by Tolkein. Introduced me to how truly epic an epic fantasy can be.

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. A science fiction novel that really defined what I started looking for and baselining expectations from a sci-fi book.

Ghost in the Shell, by Mazsamune Shirow. Like Ender's Game, this really set the bar terribly high for my expectations from any manga/anime. I can't bring myself to read half of what I see in the graphic novel section, or the anime movie section.

Achilles

Registered
Reaction score
Still Life with Woodpecker

It's not my favorite, but I read it years ago and it astounded me. It was so irreverent, so mixed up crazy. I couldn't get his voice out of my head for days.

quixotic!fantastic!

o dulcinea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pittsinstitute.webs.com
Jennifer Egan's Look At Me when I was younger, for her prose.

More recently, In The Woods by Tana French. I couldn't get it out of my head for days, like Achilles said. Something about it really stuck on me.

MsPuck

...But you can call me Kristen.
Registered
Reaction score
The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath.

As a barely-adult girl who had struggled with suicide/depression and feeling mad at a world wrought with double-standards on sexuality, nothing else resonated with me as closely as it did. It's a downer, but I consider it a must-read for young girls.

KarmaHead

Winston
Registered
Reaction score
Nineteen Eighty-Four is on a completely different level for me, more fulfilling with every read. I adore it, perhaps too much. But it blows my mind still today.

Clockwork Orange and The Shining are right up there too, love 'em or hate 'em, that's what I say.

I tend to be impressed with Cormac McCarthy, Stephen King and Tolkein, their works usually blow me away.

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
Nineteen Eighty-Four is on a completely different level for me, more fulfilling with every read. I adore it, perhaps too much. But it blows my mind still today.

I'm currently re-reading this! I love Orwell. Listened to a BBC radio drama of Animal Farm the other day too, which absolutely did the book justice.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
For story (rather than prose) I'd say Atonement.

I got to the last chapter, read the first page or so and just sat and stared for a bit, before I burst into tears and started swearing at Ian McEwan (I seem to recall saying 'TAKE IT BACK, YOU BASTARD! TAKE IT BACK!' Ofc it wouldn't be the book it is without that last chapter, but gods alive.). Utterly devastated me, and it lingers.....

KarmaHead

Winston
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently re-reading this! I love Orwell. Listened to a BBC radio drama of Animal Farm the other day too, which absolutely did the book justice.
I haven't read Animal Farm in a long time, but that's right up there too! Coming Up for Air was something I finished recently aswell actually, and I loved it.

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
Siddhartha

I adore Hermann Hesse. Narcissus and Goldmund is my favorite. Like Siddhartha, it deals with themes of spirituality, so if that isn't your cup of tea, it may not move you the same way. For similar reasons,
The Mahabharata and the Ramayana.

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I remember reading this novel as a teenager and the entire novel came together on the last page which I found amazing at the time. It has been long enough that I don't even remember what the big reveal was. Now I am wondering if it would make the same impression it did then.

The poet Rumi blows me away on a daily basis.

Finis

Registered
Reaction score
American Gods.

I know a lot of people find it rather ho-hum, but I could read that book 100 times over and never get tired of it.

When I finished American Gods for the first time, I pretty much lay crumped on my couch for about 30 minutes, distraught that I couldn't unread the story so that I could experience it for the first time all over again.

I really, really like it.

Yeah, pretty much this.

(See my sig)

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
anything by J.G. Ballard before he became famous

J.G. Ballard. The Drowned World. The Crystal World. First time I'd been creeped out in my life and I couldn't tell you why.

Gene Wolfe, Book of the New Sun. He lead me to a place and I didn't even know I was on a journey.

Is there anything better than reading Dune or The Lord of the rings when you're 14?

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score

Clockwork Orange and The Shining are right up there too, love 'em or hate 'em, that's what I say.

I tend to be impressed with Cormac McCarthy, Stephen King and Tolkein, their works usually blow me away.

Have you ever read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin? That was one I forgot to include in my list but it heavily influenced both Brave New World and 1984. It's a brilliant book.

I also really liked Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany...

Maryannel

Registered
Reaction score
When I first read the phrase "blew your mind" the book that came immediately to mind was She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I can hardly tell you what it is about, but I remember the emotiona experience of reading it. A lot of men hate this book, however.

Another book that came to mind is The Razor's Edge or anything, really, by W. Somerset Maugham. He's a great writer and always makes you think.

Maryannel

Registered
Reaction score
Wolf Hall. First time of reading the hairs prickled on the back of my neck because the writing (and the storytelling) was so good. I had not known such things were possible - such perfect control of prose and mood. Bring up the Bodies was also wonderful, and I know several critics thought it even better, but you can't have that visceral shock of pleasure twice.

Funny how tastes differ. I have this book on my Kindle and can't get through it after several months. And I love the subject matter. I do think she's perverted history a bit but that's not the reason I don't like the book. Just not a fan of the writing style

Status
Not open for further replies.