XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Sara, I love the new av, but I must confess to having a sudden urge for a smile steak...

:dire:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

In other news, there has been Hollywood material shot on Lisbon and the surrounding areas. Three movies come to mind: The House of the Spirits, The Russia House, and The Ninth Gate. All three have in common that the scenes shot here have different lighting and look different from the rest of the movie. Which I find awesomely cool.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If not a smile steak, can I have a rainbows roast?

Ironically, that unicorn is perfectly labeled for alliteration. Dire.

And I've ridden where they shot parts of Beloved (the house was built in Fair Hill and then removed) I also walked there. I've been near many of the locales for LotR, and done some white water rafting, hot air ballooning, horseback riding etc all near those spots.

My life is so boring now :( Good thing I have my war horse.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Warning: Academic-type stuff here. Lengthy stuff.

The Chinese government could (bigger army, though with less high-end weaponry)

Not so much with this one.

(Finally, all those years of grad school pay off!!)

Least not at the moment. Because while, yes, on paper they have the world's largest army, they lack projection power. They don't have the resources to go any where fast enough that isn't in their immediate vicinity. It was only somewhat recently, for example, that they began having anything that resembled a respectable deep water navy. They could patrol the heck out of their coast, or invade Taiwan[SUP]*[/SUP], but they lack the ability to get their massive forces much further than that.

Starting a land war in Asia would be a really bad idea - Vizzini was right on that -but in terms of invading the US, it's just about as likely as Soviet troops parachuting into Montana during the Cold War.[SUP]**[/SUP]

Possibly even less so.

Part of this is cultural - the Chinese only really had one time in their history when they looked much beyond their own landmass in terms of exploration. (Which is a shame, because the Chinese era of exploration was awesome.) They never really had to. People came to them with things, and if they didn't, they weren't interested. Then, they were occupied during the Colonial Era when everyone was out empire-building, and by the time that collapsed pretty much around the end of WWII, the Chinese had to finish off that pesky civil war they'd been dealing with since before the Japanese showed up.

Add to that several very inward-looking movements that closed China off (including the Cultural Revolution), and there hasn't been the impetus to have the ability to project their military power. Again, they haven't really needed to, either, although this is not to say their current military isn't aware of this lack.

Fundamentally though, it would be nigh impossible exceedingly foolhardy for the US and China to go to war. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but the resultant embargo on both sides would cripple both economies. They need us just as much as we need them.

Which is a good thing, really, because even without their ability to project, if they wanted to throw their military weight around in Asia it could get really scary, really fast.

:Lecture:

[SUP]*[/SUP]And *that* is a nightmare scenario for a number of reasons, not least of which is US defense pacts and any number of Chinese generals who would actually do it, much like there were both US and Soviet generals who would have gone through with nuclear war.

[SUP]**[/SUP]With apologies to fans of Red Dawn. But while the movie was great fun, it was premised on the most ridiculous of premises. Like the Rocky IV of premises.

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
[SUP]**[/SUP]With apologies to fans of Red Dawn. But while the movie was great fun, it was premised on the most ridiculous of premises. Like the Rocky IV of premises.

I loved Red Dawn. But with that said, I have to agree with your position. All other reasons aside, dropping Soviets into Montana would be like ANYBODY invading Appalachia: a very stupid idea. Too many people with guns, too many of whom have wicked awesome wilderness survival skillz, too many of whom are entirely too happy to shoot an invader. All of whom are too damned cussed to knuckle under; they'd "jungle up" and become a resistance, as much out of sheer stubbornness as out of patriotism.

ETA: that does raise an interesting writery type question: if you WERE going to write about an outside force -- alien, foreign, who cares? -- invading the North American Continent, how would you have them go about it? Ditto for Europe. What would be your strategy.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always wondered how the heck did they manage to get that far into the US hinterland without being detected in the first place?

It's not like Montana's right on the coast.

:rolleyes

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And as one last footnote to the above, if you want a nightmare scenario involving China, what keeps me up at night is wondering what happens if their economy implodes.

Because that is a lot more plausible than a lot of people realize.

:scared:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always wondered how the heck did they manage to get that far into the US hinterland without being detected in the first place?

They used the special Hollywood Cloaking Device.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

The part that baffled me was not how did they get to Montana, but why? the second you land, you've immediately got the bane of military strategy: a war on two fronts. Considering Montana's position, and even assuming that Canada just lets it happen, it would be essentially a war on three fronts: east, west, south.

And it's not like Montana a brilliant strategic location. There's nothing there, nothing of value to an invading force. Copper mines? Emerald mines? Not helpful. I can think of half a dozen more inviting targets.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The part that baffled me was not how did they get to Montana, but why? the second you land, you've immediately got the bane of military strategy: a war on two fronts. Considering Montana's position, and even assuming that Canada just lets it happen, it would be essentially a war on three fronts: east, west, south.

And it's not like Montana a brilliant strategic location. There's nothing there, nothing of value to an invading force. Copper mines? Emerald mines? Not helpful. I can think of half a dozen more inviting targets.

Mountains are also easier to defend once they get a foothold. But yeah, it'd be a logistical nightmare to resupply and rearm. More realistic, hitting some place like San Fan makes more sense. Hit hard, secure the ports and airfields so you can bring in additional troops and hardware. Then reinforce while moving south to SoCal (knock out the military presence) as well as West.

Uh, in theory...

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
ETA: that does raise an interesting writery type question: if you WERE going to write about an outside force -- alien, foreign, who cares? -- invading the North American Continent, how would you have them go about it? Ditto for Europe. What would be your strategy.

If I were going to invade some part of the North American continent I would try and use the mountains as a natural barrier and invade the west coast from the sea and via Mexico.

Europe? which bit? Greece and anywhere around the Med has too many islands, anywhere around ex-Yugoslavia has too many people who already understand about resistance and have guns. The Alps and the Pyrenees both form natural barriers. I would invade either Ireland or the UK. We'd just jump up and down a bit in protest and then go, 'oh ok then, you win' and the Irish would just shrug their shoulders and invite the invader in for a pint. On that basis I understand that the Irish are one of the most successful races of people for changing a social landscape because of their ability to get on with other people. Switzerland is one of the most fought over countries ever, I reckon they would be a right pain to invade.

I'm supposed to be asleep you know?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Mountains are also easier to defend once they get a foothold. But yeah, it'd be a logistical nightmare to resupply and rearm. More realistic, hitting some place like San Fan makes more sense. Hit hard, secure the ports and airfields so you can bring in additional troops and hardware. Then reinforce while moving south to SoCal (knock out the military presence) as well as West.

Uh, in theory...

Agreed. I was thinking east coat, but only because I know it better.

I would make the people do as much of the work for me as I could. I'd send in moles, not to sabotage or do the terrorist thing; all that does is get our backs up, as bin Laden discovered. No, my moles would be there to stir up trouble: to get us so busy fighting amongst ourselves that an external threat wouldn't even register until it was too late.

Then I'd pull a telecommunications 9/11. Pull off some sort of big terrorist act that would knock out communications on the eastern seaboard (or wherever my initial forces would be landing). Not sure what, haven't studied up on it that much. Just knock out comms and cause as much consternation as possible.

I wouldn't need to knock out comms for very long; even just a day would be enough to get my men and materiel on the ground and secured. In that 24 hour period, do my best to cripple the naval ports, capture or destroy airports, and secure communications. Then start spreading out from there.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
If I were going to invade some part of the North American continent I would try and use the mountains as a natural barrier and invade the west coast from the sea and via Mexico.

A goodly plan

I would invade either Ireland or the UK. We'd just jump up and down a bit in protest and then go, 'oh ok then, you win' and the Irish would just shrug their shoulders and invite the invader in for a pint. On that basis I understand that the Irish are one of the most successful races of people for changing a social landscape because of their ability to get on with other people.

I couldn't disagree more. I've been reading recently about the UK during the war years, and all I can say is "damn!" Talk about digging in your heels and refusing to admit when you've been whipped! The UK survived that war on sheer stubbornness! You gotta respect that.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
This is the part where I'm happy my country's much too small and non-interesting for anybody to invade.

Although The Azores do have a strategic location.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
stumbles in

feels dizzy

collapses on smibble pile

Mm mmm mmmm

flips over

breathes like a fish

Air. Gud.

pulls out long haired smibble

blows snot out sinuses

checks for brain cells

tosses used smibble on bar

Medic.

Oh, and the CIA is outside. Did you folks get us on the terrorist watch list again?

looks around accusingly

gets dizzy, drops head back against smibbles

dire

Erm... I use only the best? :tongue

And I agree with CM's multi-quote of epicness.

I knew it. You're a unicorn poacher! The sparkles were a front all along!

recatches breath

Drama requires oxygen. Who knew?

Busy busy day, and yet I make time to watch videos like this. (Also: kids are cute.)

Awwwww.

The last few pages of Cabaret jokes may be of interest to Cantina peeps. Or not.

I swear, it wasn't my fault - whatever the evidence may show...

Pfft, they are only on page 779. Slackers. We win.

Though if you wanted to multiquote them here, I'd have a better idea where to start, cuz 779 aint it...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is the part where I'm happy my country's much too small and non-interesting for anybody to invade.

Although The Azores do have a strategic location.

Maybe for the ....

No, sorry. I was going to say Lippizaners, but in the process of looking it up, I learned those are Spanish, not Portuguese.

Which, courtesy of Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington, I should actually know.

:D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I quoted them for us. See page 779.

Oh, and I mocked them. Watch out for the angry mob upon entry. You could always have someone beam you aboard.

A nice heavy 2x4 with a nail in it :D

...what is 2x4 in metric?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to run to the grocery store and buy more... the GOOD stuff this time. Mmm... root beer...

I was watching the live coverage of Comic Con the other night and still can't get over how adorably nerdy George R. R. Martin is. He looks like the uncle you love to go visit as a kid and was all kinds of smiley and sweet. I haven't read his books (they're on the list somewhere) but now I really want to just because of what a nice guy he came off as.

He was GOH at Eastercon thsi year, and I'll second that. I liked the story about how he wanted to make a cameo appearance in Game of Thrones as a severed head. I'm halfway through Dance With Dragons at the moment. He did warn us that The Winds of Winter is 2-3 years away.

The only movie that I can recall being shot in our area was the movie "We Are Marshall."

Bits of Children of Men were shot in Church Crookham, which is where I used to live (1967-1990) and which is about five or so miles away from here. Tweseldown Racecourse has been used as a location a few times, and I'm looking forward to playing spot-the-nearby-location when the 1970 Dr Who serial The Ambassadors of Death comes out on DVD in October.

As for The Dark Knight Rises, I have tickets for the 11:50 show at the BFI IMAX (London) this coming Sunday.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have smut in my inbox! :D Okay, its not really smut... I don't think. I need to fire up enough brain cells to actually focus on something...

And Batman in IMAX? I'd seizure. But I'm still jealous :)

Status
Not open for further replies.