Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Lily and :welcome: to AW and OPWFT!

FMA may be able to help you, since he is researching self-publishing. I don't think anyone else in this thread is SP'd, but I could be wrong.

There is a section on AW where people ask self-publishing questions, and I know I've seen at least one thread there asking about how to get reviews so you might be able to find some info there if nobody here has the answer.

But please stay here and ramble too :D You might want to introduce yourself in the Newbies forum as well (they'll make you feel really welcome). Other good places to check out are the Novels forum and Share Your Work, where you can learn from critting other people and eventually can submit small parts to receive critiques. If you want to keep self-publishing, that's great, but if you want to one day search for an agent and/or publisher, I recommend checking out Ask the Agent, Ask the Editor, and the Bewares, Recs, and Background Checks forums at that time too.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I've been through the self-publishing ring, so I may be able to help, but please do visit the SP area of AW as it's a wealth of information for new and experienced entrepreneurs.

Mel and Sage, thank you for the well wishes :) Bonded released on my publishers site, and will go live on third party sites September 17th. No reviews just yet, but I do have other books listed on my publisher's site where my book is an 'also bought.' So..might be good news :)

This weekend is brainstorming and relaxing for me. I really want to write, but none of my ideas are fleshed out enough just yet. I also can't wait to hear what my editor says about Finding Orion. If she likes it, I may have a m/m sequel for her.

Sage, are you just waiting on those fulls or did I miss something? I apologize if I missed some news. I've been so scatterbrained lately.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have three fulls for TM and an IaPT sub with my publisher. Plus queries of course :D

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice! So, I'm guessing you have 3-4 weeks left on the fulls? Not too bad when you think of how small a time it is compared to writing, editing and betaing :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well...my experience with fulls is that I average twice as long as what everyone else averages. But we'll see.

The IaPT sub will certainly be answered this week. There's a short deadline on when the book would come out, and other imprints have accepted books subbed after me that won't be out for months afterwards (see, I'm always at least twice as long :tongue ), so I figure I have to be hearing something in the next few days.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
The awkward moment when you're listening to a Disney classics album and you can't remember where some of the songs are from.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, Lisa. I go through that sometimes with my music as well. Usually game soundtracks, but I've so had that issue with Disney Classics as well.

Sage, keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! :)

And I hope you all know I wasn't complaining about the wait. I've just come to expect it after so many 6+-month-long fulls. And, tbh, for every year-long full I've had, I've also had one answered overnight (once with feedback, even)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to tell my editor that I have a short story in the same world as IaPT. She's asked for Christmas shorts, and the timing would be great to add buzz for IaPT, if it gets accepted, that is. I don't want to appear to be pushing, but I also think it would be good to participate in the short story giveaway. But if IaPT doesn't get accepted, I probably wouldn't sub the story because it's really meant to be a companion piece.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Sage, I don't think it's wrong to email the editor and just mention that you have a companion piece that would be prefect for their sub call.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! What'd I miss? Any more sizzling chats about bras or anything?

Hi Lily! Welcome aboard. I'm a newbie, too. Kinda'. Of the annoying sort.

Seems like a whole lotta' brain-stormin' going on here folks! That's great. Nothing's more fascinating than how ideas happen.

Right now I just started a new book. Based on nothing more than my dislike for the neighbor across the street who (for no reason whatsoever, ignores us and turns her back on us! Literally! And I think they tossed "road-kill" in our yard). It's gonna' be my "Stepford Wives." In Kansas, of course. And just for you, Mel, I'll give one of my bad guys a mullet!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Lily? Let's not have any of that "unremarkable human" stuff!

You're an engineer, mother and wife. Speaking as a parent, I know first-hand how harrowing that can be, let alone your other two attributes. Pretty damned remarkable in my book!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
BWHAHAHAHA! Dude, nothing scarier than a bad guy with a mullet (wearing a wife beater shirt to show his I LOVE MOM tat on one arm and I LOVE JESSICA, BOBBIE SUE, CHRISTINE, MISTY DAWN on the other. And a bunch of generic brand beer cans strewn all over the place. Oh, and lots of junk in the front lawn (used cars, broken washer, rusted bicycle, several broken down lawn mowers which he obviously don't need 'cause there 'aint no grass, and a muddied up ATV.) :D

Oh, and hey there Lily! Welcome to the forum and to the thread! :)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Rereading through the posts. You gals (and F.M., and I think there might be some other guy out there who last I saw was hobbling around on crutches because of a broken leg or something) have been talking about some interesting stuff. Beginning to think we writers think alike in many ways.

First, yeah, I DO feel guilty when I don't write. But as someone said, anything "writerly" could be considered compensation enough. Even when I watch a movie, my mind drifts off, thinking about possibilities. It's that or A.D.D. Maybe both.

No way I can listen to music while writing. Just no way. Too distracting. The only exception might be classical. But, honestly...how often do we break that out? My preference is alternative rock (yeah, I know...I'm old, but it's better music than from my youth) but it's way too...interactive?

I LOVE using the same characters in different books. The only problem with that is it'll limit you to different publishers. I've a go-to police detective character who I've thrown into all my books. Sadly, I may have to change him out.

Okay, let's chat about "book trailers." Anyone have any experience? Are they tough? I know you can hurl one together via Windows Live Movie-Maker but...it's damned intimidating. I'm still a big boy scared of his own shadow to venture out into the frightening world of blogdom. Where does one get the so-called free and public domain photos to put into one of these? Every site I've seen that proclaims "FREE" is fulla' crap. But they're cool. So damn cool. Help, y'all, help!

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone - checking in after a bit of a hiatus from AW. I was just getting really hard on myself and putting a lot of pressure on myself over writing, so I figured it was time to pull away from everything but the writing itself. Just for a week or so! I'm not sure whether it worked - this is just an ongoing problem I have, tuning out what I think I "should" be writing and just writing the way I want to. Which, for the record, is what everyone on AW says to do! Eh... okay, ramble over. If any of that was coherent, can anybody here relate? Life is full of "should"'s, so I suppose I had better start getting used to them!

Well, now I'm working on just writing, and not concerning myself with where it goes. Which is probably nowhere. But at least I'm having a lot more fun. This summer, I've been able to crank out maybe 1,000 words/day, but it's felt like a serious chore. With my new WIP and my new approach, that's more like 2-3,000, or just whatever I'm feeling. It isn't polished, but it feels more effortless. Or at least enjoyable, which has been missing from my writing for awhile. Haha, I just realized that I said my rant was over, and then went onto ramble for another paragraph. Oops!

Kansas - I'm a fairly young'in, and I listen to alt rock! Although, I think "alt rock" can be a very wide category. At least if you go according to the iTunes "alternative" section. What are some groups you like? I'm always looking for new music suggestions.

I'm sorry, I'm close to technologically-illiterate, so I can't help you with the book trailer. Good luck, though! I'd be curious to see your result!

ETA: Holy crap I think this post wins Most Use of The Word "Just" In a Single Post! Is that even an award? Am I eligible?

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Casual!

Never worry about wordiness. It's our "biz."

Right now I'm really diggin' "Of Monsters and Men." Check 'em out.

And I don't need to alert your to "Arcade Fire," do I? Probably my fave current alt rock band.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: LilyGee! You are far from unremarkable. Just sayin'.

I can't listen to music while writing either. Often I'll listen before writing to set the mood. I find myself doing that a lot with my current WiP. In fact, the music really opened up the brainstorming floodgates in the planning stages.

My favorite music is alternative rock, too. I listened to U2, REM, The Cure, The Police, The Smiths in my younger years. Still do, actually. Some of my favorites now are Foo Fighters, Florence and the Machine, Group Love, The Shins, The Joy Formidable and Silversun Pickups. I'm mourning the loss of my favorite radio station, a great alt/indie station, WFNX. It was sold in the spring and finally changed ownership at the end of July. They're still online but I can't listen to them in the car anymore which really bums me out.

Sorry, I can't help you with book trailers, Stuck. Makes me think of a library on wheels. I know. Not funny. Why am I still up subjecting you all to my bad jokes? It's past my bedtime. Goodnight. :e2zzz:

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Winkle! The bands you listed? The old ones? My fave hit-list as well. Oh, and Florence and the Machine? Total brilliance!

Alright, we're gettin' railroaded here, but what else is new?

You guys want inspiration? Here we go...

Arcade Fire. The CD "Neon Bible." That, along with Green Day's "American Idiot" are THE two essential rock CD's of the last five years.

Movies? I'm not really a big anime fan, but you all must check out the works of Hayao Miyazaki. "Kiki's Delivery Service," "My Neighbor Tortoro," "Spirited Away," "Howl's Moving Castle." There're more. Truly imaginative, beautiful, heart-felt films. If these suckers don't inspire you gals, I don't know what will.

Writing? I would encourage everyone to read "Swamplandia" by Karen Russell. Good lord, she's good. And for plain down and good writing, no frills attached, always study Stephen King. He's crass, juvenile, yet there's no one better to learn from.

Okay, as the elder statesman here, that's my viewpoints. Can't believe I'm givin' you whippersnappers pointers on what rock music to listen to!

Status
Not open for further replies.