English-only, please.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
"Press one for English."

For a certain segment of the US population, that's an infuriating thing to be forced to hear on an automated system--even worse than the only-slightly-condescending "Good bye" you get after the system explains that it cannot help you.

Why?

I don't know. But here's another incarnation of it:

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/03/1...a-elementary-school-dont-take-my-choice-away/
Karen Brink, whose second grader attends the school, joined Fox and Friends and said that while she doesn’t believe there is any harm in dual-language classes, she believes that it should be the parent’s choice whether or not their child should participate. [...] “Don’t take my choice away. Don’t make me leave my local neighborhood school and fracture my family.”

I find this article interesting for several reasons.

What the school is actually doing is beginning a program where every Kindergarten student is taught in English and Spanish, reaching them while they're still acquiring language and helping them all to become bilingual--a benefit in daily life as well as in the work force. But rather than phasing something in, Fox News chooses to phrase this as phasing something out--instead of saying something like, "Kindergarten classes to be conducted in both English and Spanish," they call this a "Ban on English-Only Classes."

It reeks of bias (nothing new for Fox) but it makes me wonder: why are so many Republicans against the idea of being bilingual?

I also wonder if the timing of this story has anything to do with Santorum's recent statements in Puerto Rico. http://gantdaily.com/2012/03/19/romney-sweeps-puerto-rico-while-debate-continues-on-english-only/
Washington, DC, United States (AHN) – Presidential candidate Mitt Romney won the Republican primary in Puerto Rico Sunday after a campaign that touched off a still-simmering dispute over English as the official language of the United States.

But I really, really have to wonder at the sanity of a woman who will at once say that "there is no harm" in dual-language classes and that she is willing to "fracture" her family in order to avoid them.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
It reeks of bias (nothing new for Fox) but it makes me wonder: why are so many Republicans against the idea of being bilingual?

Interesting question, but I think it could be more productively framed by adding the word 'candidates' behind the word 'Republican'. I've got card-carrying Democrat buddies (most of them Union) who are probably more anti-bilingual than Rick Santorum is.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
As a non-American, am I right in thinking that some states have a lot of Spanish-speaking residents? So surely it's a good idea in those areas?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
That woman is a moron. Being willing to "fracture your family" in order to avoid an opportunity to learn, is small-minded at best.

That being said, I think there is a fairly simple explanation as to why people get their feathers ruffled over "press 1 for English" types of matters.

Illegal immigration has been a HUGE bone of contention in politics and around the country for awhile. Without getting into a debate about the benefits/pitfalls of immigration, there are people who feel personally disenfranchised by the immigration issue. From job displacement, to security, to overall general fairness, they don't like it. Sure, some are racist, and some aren't.

Not all of these people know how to react to their disapproval of the immigration issue, and it manifests in the "I refuse to press 1 for English! This is America Jack!" argument. They feel that becoming more inclusive of a language belonging to a people around which a huge political debate is centered, is pandering to a group who's issues haven't been settled, so to speak.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
What the school is actually doing is beginning a program where every Kindergarten student is taught in English and Spanish, reaching them while they're still acquiring language and helping them all to become bilingual--a benefit in daily life as well as in the work force.

In my area, this has been the norm for several years, somewhere around two decades. So far, to my knowledge, exposing our youngsters to bilingual classes hasn't made them into anti-American zealots determined to tear down US culture.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Some people see learning Spanish as an acceptance of 'illegal' immigrants. Hmm...

Me, I would take the chance for my kids to learn another language as it can only be a bonus.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question, but I think it could be more productively framed by adding the word 'candidates' behind the word 'Republican'. I've got card-carrying Democrat buddies (most of them Union) who are probably more anti-bilingual than Rick Santorum is.

It's not just Rick Santorum.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/2...-measure-making-english-the-official-language

And I think that what people are saying about the assumption that Spanish = illegal immigrant has some merit.

This link: http://texaspolitics.laits.utexas.edu/11_5_3.html is a report on a number of polls tied to immigration. The following is listed under "Immigration Policy:"

A proposal to add an English-only amendment to the Texas Constitution earned some level of support from 68% of respondents, a proposal to end bilingual education in Texas earned some level of support from 58% of respondents, and a proposal to prohibit recruitment of day laborers earned some level of support from 61% of respondents. For each of these policy proposals, party identification and race/ethnicity were strongly correlated with levels of support.

Note that bit about party identification? There's a break down here for "English only:" http://www.laits.utexas.edu/txp_media/html/poll/features/201005_english_only/slide2.html and here for ending bilingual education: http://www.laits.utexas.edu/txp_media/html/poll/features/201005_bilingual_ed/slide2.html

The upshot? Republicans were mostly in favor of "English only" while Democrats were mostly against it, and a whopping 60% of Republicans were "strongly" for ending bilingual education (with more "somewhat for,") while Democrats were largely against it.

But what's disturbing is that independents are tending to side with Republicans, giving anti-anything-but-English folks a strong majority.

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
It's a silly thing. There are about 330 million native Spanish speakers in the world, and about 330 million native English speakers.

The difference is that English has a lot more that speak it as a second language. Any export oriented nation would welcome a population that is bilingual. But I suppose to some, there are other concerns.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
As a non-American, am I right in thinking that some states have a lot of Spanish-speaking residents? So surely it's a good idea in those areas?

I think it's a good idea all round. Being bilingual is a great skill, and if I recall correctly, bilingual children find it easier to learn language at a later stage. Who wouldn't want that kind of skill? I sure as hell wish I'd been taught a second language at a young age.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
. . . and if I recall correctly, bilingual children find it easier to learn language at a later stage.

Yes, I believe that is true. I believe it holds for adults as well, once you've learned a second language, it's easier to learn a third. In some parts of the world it is common to speak three languages.

This thread reminds me of a joke I once "heard" from some on-line Euroopean friends:

What do you call a person who speaks three languages?
Tri-lingual

Two languages?
Bi-lingual

One language?
American

I think that was a well-deserved slap. LOL!

I am fortunate to be bilingual, there are advantages of it beyond just the second language. I would LOVE for my children to be enrolled in a class as was described in the OP.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I agree strongly with multi-language education for the young. I think it should be like we do it here (although not immersion) where there is a choice of a few languages, though.

The immersion idea is really cool. I do hope that the grades don't sink every kid not as good at foreign language, though. It should still be possible to get awesome grades overall even if languages aren't your thing.

And I hope that it's still possible to understand the class enough if the kid is doing badly at the language part. I've taken world history classes in other languages, and it gets rough trying to keep up with the subject matter if you get behind on learning all the new vocabulary! They really are harder classes than learning a new language separate from the other class, be it math, history, literature, etc.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I believe that is true. I believe it holds for adults as well, once you've learned a second language, it's easier to learn a third. In some parts of the world it is common to speak three languages.

God, I hope so. Once I've finally mastered Italian (I'm thinking sometime in the next 15 years :D) I'm setting my sights on something really hard. Irish, maybe.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having a child schooled somewhere other than the local neighborhood school will "fracture her family"? If that's the case, sounds to me like it's already hopelessly broken.

My kids have had language classes in their public schools for as long as I can remember. French, Spanish and German. I just don't see how this is a problem. I get more upset about teachers who speak English poorly, especially when they are teaching Honors English.

Last edited:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Little kids are like sponges absorbing everything around them. Exposing them to a second language early will help them to incorporate that language naturally.

My son had a zero period Spanish class two days a week in 7th and 8th grade (meaning the kids went to school early, about 7:15, and worked in the language lab using Rosetta Stone). He didn't feel like he was making much progress, but this year, 9th grade, with his daily Spanish class, his language skills have taken off, and I really think the two years where he was being exposed to Spanish twice a week made a big difference, even though it took him a while to see the effects.

Most friends I know from other countries were taught English in school as a second language. It's pretty accepted outside of the U.S., so why are we so reluctant to do the same here?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I originally spoke German before I spoke English (my dad's from Germany), but after he & my mom split up, there went my chance to speak it, so I forgot most of it. By the time I got to take any language again, I was in 7th grade and learning any of them was a lot more difficult (we took a 1/2 semester each of French, Spanish, and German. Nowhere near long enough to really learn a language.) I took French in high school, but by then I was old enough that I really struggled with it. And in college, I took French again, but for some weird reason, I kept answering test questions in Spanish (WTF was that about?? Even my professor was amazed/befuddled/frightened.) I passed the course only because I memorized the entire textbook the day before my final.

I would have loved to taken Spanish (or any language, really) in grade school. It would be awesome to be able to speak something besides English fluently.

I tried taking German in college, thinking it would come back to me. Didn't happen. I'm hopelessly uni-lingual.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Having a child schooled somewhere other than the local neighborhood school will "fracture her family"? If that's the case, sounds to me like it's already hopelessly broken.

I'm not entirely sure what that woman was going on about, so I don't quite know what she's meant by "fracture" her family. But I can say that if I had one kid in a school and planned to have my other kid in the same school and then, for whatever reason, felt forced by policy to move one of my children to a different school, I would be hella pissed. I have a 1.5-hour commute, each way. If I have to figure out some way to drop kids off at TWO different schools that are nowhere near each other, for a reason I deem unnecessary... there are just no words.

I agree with Gretad08 that the objection is mostly the resentment of the immigration issues. "Learn English!" is, unfortunately, a big sentiment down here, and those especially sensitive to this kind of issue possibly feel like, no, now Americans are being forced to learn Spanish. I think they feel it's just another way that Spanish-speaking immigrants are "taking over the country" and forcing Americans to cater to them.

I, for one, find my lack of Spanish to be an irritation on a daily basis. I'm planning to get Rosetta Stone and see if I can't remedy that.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking multiple languages is awesome.

Although, I'll admit, I do get annoyed when I have to press one for English. I don't get annoyed unless I actually have to press it. If the Spanish voice comes on and says "para continuar en Espanol, marque nueve" (or whatever), that's fine. Just don't make me press another damn button. Better yet, just have a human being answer, in any language. :D

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
"Press one for English."

For a certain segment of the US population, that's an infuriating thing to be forced to hear on an automated system--even worse than the only-slightly-condescending "Good bye" you get after the system explains that it cannot help you.

Why?

I can tell you why. I was brought up in a (Heaven forgive me) slightly racist environment. I have elder relatives who have given me diatribes on this very issue, multiple times. Some a few years ago, some recently.

'Press one for English' implies, to them, that non-English speakers who have moved here haven't even made an effort to learn English. "If I ever move to Spain," my grandmother has said to me more than once, "or France, or anywhere [she usually names a bunch of other countries before 'or anywhere'], I'd learn that language. Why the hell they think they can come here without learning our language is beyond me."

I'm an interpreter, so I know about language barriers. I've tried to tell her it's not that easy, it takes time and resources, but (Heaven forgive me again) she's the stubbornest old woman I've ever met and my mother is a saint for having dealt with her and come out ahead.

Anyway. The woman in the Fox News article, IMO, hasn't thought this through. To understand things in, and be able to communicate in, more than one language is an incredibly invaluable skill. In our school district we have a waiting list for dual English-Spanish-taught classes, and my kids didn't get into those. I would love for my children to know things I don't know, Spanish being one of them.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if you are in Maine, you sometimes press 2 for French.

I'm probably going to stick my foot in my mouth. I am one of those who resent press 1 for English. I also resent circular phone systems that never let you speak to a live person. And customer service lines that have been outsourced to somewhere else and the person has an accent you can't get through.

If that school wanted to have one class period a day to teach Spanish, fine, but don't teach "readin', writin', and 'rithmatic" in Spanish.

ETA: although I'm rusty, if dropped in the middle of France, I could get by. But I wouldn't expect the French to speak English for my benefit.

MM

Last edited:

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
Crap. I might actually agree with the crazy woman, sort of. Well, I probably would not bother taking my nonexistent kid to another school. What if my kid has enough trouble in school without the added distraction of another language being taught? What if I prefer that if my kid learns another language, it should be French?

I like that they are offering a dual language track but I can see how it might be a more difficult environment for some kids to learn in, especially at that young age.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if they also think it would be a travesty to teach deaf students in ASL.

I like that they are offering a dual language track but I can see how it might be a more difficult environment for some kids to learn in, especially at that young age.

It should be much easier at that age than for older students.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Hi:

I guess I'll wade in here since I am fully bilingual and resent having to press "1" for English. I started learning English in nursery school at age three.

Bilingualism and multilingualism I am completely in favor of. But I am also in favor of having English as the official language of the country.

When I look at Canada and I look at Belgium, I see a lot of political unrest occurring because of two native languages.

A language (especially in the US that is totally polyglot) binds a people together. The fear that this language will be replaced by another is something that even I sometimes feel: as though I am being pushed out when speaking the lingua franca.

I am an Estonian-American and Estonian is similar to Finnish, both of which are non-Indo European. Finnish and Estonian cultures are very much the same. Many would be surprised to learn that Estonian culture is very different from Latvian and Lithuanian, the other two Baltic states, even though Estonians share more history with the latter two than with Finland.

Languages carry many more shared meanings than are easily translated.

So yes, (in addition to hating telephone trees), I feel the default language should be English, period. No reason to make anyone uneasy about that.

Being open to speaking other languages is an entirely different question in my book.

Last edited: