TV shows/animes that influence your YA?

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
How about second-generation inspiration? My first-ever YA (coming out Friday!) was an offshoot of a series I did for an adult romance publisher. That series was partially inspired by Supernatural. (The son of one of those characters grows up to be an actor, and lands a role on a TV show about two guys who hunt vampires.)

And now I want to watch Sailor Moon again. Hope the library's got it.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I watched a little bit of Rose Of Versailles. I do have other tastes besides cyberpunk, especially French Revolution. I think parts of it is the French Revolution is almost a historical cyberpunk.

johnhallow

Hello? Eat my tarts?
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much every shounen out there.

Years of watching shonen has made it easy for me to choreograph fights. I just describe what I see in my head and then temper it with reality. I also approach my magic systems by first thinking about how I want my combat to "look" and then sussing out what everything else would have to be like for it all to work.

My action stories also tend to have a battle manga bent to them, with a greater focus on the how of combat than most of the stories I've read. I used to be kind of insecure about it, because I couldn't find anything on the shelves that mirrored what I wrote, but every author has their own unique thing and I eventually decided to just let this be mine.

I'm sure I won't be alone when all of the other anime inspired folks in our generation get to writing :)

Arislan

Registered
Reaction score
Influencing is fine, it's when your character start taking actual Japanese names that you need to think twice. Unless they're actually in Japan.

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
My influence for my work was the kiwi drama The Tribe.

I love love LOVED that show! Especially the "no adults" concept, which is echoed across the Canadian series The Odyssey and the Everlost books.

Buffy is a big one for me in terms of snark and sarcasm. It's hard to stop myself from writing stuff along those lines, particularly because one of the characters in my current MS is constantly being a pain in my MC's butt... it just works so well!

tarawriter

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
A really good k-drama can influence my writing. Like Boys Over Flowers, for instance. Some of the episodes are cuckoo bananas, but there are a couple which are like good YA novels come to life.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
It was actually Anime that switched me over from using a villain antagonist over to using a hero antagonist, and a villain protagonist.

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
My influence for my work was the kiwi drama The Tribe. I liked the concept but felt the show badly underutilized it, so I wanted to see if I could do better with it. Anybody else got a similar story about a work of art?
I loved that show! I used to watch it all the time. Ahh memories. I also watched a kiwi show called Being Eve. Those tv shows are 10 years old! 0.o I feel old...

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
They do good sci-fi/fantasy shows, that's for sure! Now that I'm thinking about it, the character Kal from Ocean Girl is pretty much how I've always pictured my current LI...

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Shoujo Kakumei Utena casts an enormous shadow on basically everything I produce these days. And my current WIP has taken an embarrassing amount of influence from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Last edited:

rui789

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty Little Liars
Pushing Daisies
Dirty Sexy Money
Ugly Betty

Basically I watch a lot of over the top dramas, cause that's what I love to write.

Parataxis

Obsessive Plotting Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
I just started rewatching the show S-Cry-Ed which I had consciously pulled some terminology from (Calling rare magic users under twenty "Alters") and I'm sort of gawking at how much the themes of Moral ambiguity and reasonable authorities in unreasonable situations play through the show.

Like, I know that some stuff in D.Gray-man lead to the initial idea but DAMN if this isn't some subconscious ground laying.

Caryslan

Registered
Reaction score
I would say Inuyasha, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, and Spice and Wolf have been the biggest influnces on my writing. But I won't lie, video games have also been a major influence as well. I listen to video game soundtracks while I write:)

Dagrami

stuck in the middle
Registered
Reaction score
I just read the last volume of the Death Note manga.

I really hope it DOES influence my writing, because that last volume was so totallyamazingbrilliantdfalkjdskfahasalfdkjfadssjf – good. I actually can't formulate the words for how much I liked it.

As a kid (heck, how about now), I loved the Digimon anime. Everyone just thought it was a big Pokemon ripoff, but that show totally trumped Pokemon in every way (now, the games on the other hand, that's a whole 'nother thing).

When I was twelve I wrote and designed soooooo many things that were really obviously based on it.

[...] But I won't lie, video games have also been a major influence as well. I listen to video game soundtracks while I write:)

Word up! I do the same. They're especially great for those high adrenaline action scenes. And I'm forever in love with the Final Fantasy X soundtrack.