General anime discussion thread

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, just in case anyone was interested in my Utena progress, I finished the Student Council Saga over the weekend. On the Black Rose Saga now.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else following Mirai Nikki? I'm really loving the relationship between Yuki and Yuno.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I watched one episode, but wasn't in the mood for something like this back then. I might pick it up once it's finished. I admit I'm curious about Yuno (though I didn't like her much in the first episode).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I watched one episode, but wasn't in the mood for something like this back then. I might pick it up once it's finished. I admit I'm curious about Yuno (though I didn't like her much in the first episode).

How much do you like psycho yanderes?

I love them. :D

That she's combined with such a Shinji-esque protagonist is just icing on the cake.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
How much do you like psycho yanderes?

I love them. :D

I'm... drawing a blank at the moment. Guess I'm... neutral?

That she's combined with such a Shinji-esque protagonist is just icing on the cake.

Heh, didn't like him much, either. Actually, I didn't like anyone in the first episode. I guess I just don't like the show's characterisation mode/art style (I utterly hate that god-design, for example). I can't really put my finger on why, though. They might grow on me. One episode isn't nearly enough to tell.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else following Mirai Nikki? I'm really loving the relationship between Yuki and Yuno.
I saw the first episode, but didn't feel like continuing at the moment. I may see it in the future if it gets good reviews.

At the moment I have passed the halfway point of Shiki. It's hard to tell where this will go or which side will win, and that's interesing.

Also I'm liking the recent developments in Another, and the idea about the class being close to death. I wonder what Sakakibara will do next, because I don't see any obvious course of action or any obvious way of solving the mystery.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Also I'm liking the recent developments in Another, and the idea about the class being close to death. I wonder what Sakakibara will do next, because I don't see any obvious course of action or any obvious way of solving the mystery.

Yep, they're handling the plot quite well. At the moment, I think the most obvious developments would involve the dolls and Mei's doll's eye. Alternatively, their ignoring him simply won't stop the curse; his aunt might be next victim (headaches...) [think of what that news might do to the class mates strategy and morals, if they hear about that]. Many paths are open for the narrative.

However, I still can't bring myself to care about any of the characters. Any interest I have in the show is strictly plot related.

Also, now I know why the Mouretsu Pirates wear that silly retro pirate outfit. (Fits perfectly with the planetside retro designs. Oh, to be part of the decadent rich...) That's probably my favourite show this season (but then I find the season rather weak).

Finally, Amagami SS +. Ai was terribly cute when they stumbled across those love hotels. Heh.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, didn't like him much, either. Actually, I didn't like anyone in the first episode. I guess I just don't like the show's characterisation mode/art style (I utterly hate that god-design, for example). I can't really put my finger on why, though. They might grow on me. One episode isn't nearly enough to tell.

Deus Ex Machina hardly ever appears after the first couple episodes.

That's probably my favourite show this season (but then I find the season rather weak).

It does seem a bit weaker.

However, I'm still loving Nisemonogatari. I'm enjoying the meta direction Ano Natsu is going. Very Hamlet-esque. Amagami SS+ is fun as always. And I'm enjoying the 2-cour continuations like Mirai Nikki, and I'm still addicted to watching the gorgeously-animated train wreck that is Guilty Crown, what can I say?

Aquarion EVOL is pretty decent, even though I'm not a fan of the mecha designs at all (sorry, Kawamori), and Rinne no Lagrange finally took a great turn by inserting some plot, so that's making me look forward to find out what comes next. Symphogear... yeah I'm watching it for Yuuki Aoi, but it's still fun, and Hibiki did that weird thing last episode again...

Daily Lives of High School Boys is pretty good, and the high school girls are great.

And Zero no Tsukaima F and Shakugan no Shana Final give me my weekly Kugimiya Rie fix.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Deus Ex Machina hardly ever appears after the first couple episodes.

That's certainly a plus in my book.

It does seem a bit weaker.
To be fair, 2011 was an exceptional year. I'm probably spoiled.

However, I'm still loving Nisemonogatari.
I'm starting to get interested, too.

I'm enjoying the meta direction Ano Natsu is going. Very Hamlet-esque.
Good fun. Certainly one of the better shows this season.

Amagami SS+ is fun as always.
I'm enjoying it while I'm watching, but I'm not really looking forward to it during the week. It's odd.

And I'm enjoying the 2-cour continuations like Mirai Nikki, and I'm still addicted to watching the gorgeously-animated train wreck that is Guilty Crown, what can I say?
Heh, I simply forgot about Guilty Crown halfway last season, and couldn't be bothered to catch up afterwards. I'm still watching Persona 4 (last episode was pretty good, actually) but it's a mess. And I'm still enjoying Chihayafuru, but not as much as last season.

Aquarion EVOL
is pretty decent, even though I'm not a fan of the mecha designs at all (sorry, Kawamori), and Rinne no Lagrange finally took a great turn by inserting some plot, so that's making me look forward to find out what comes next.
Haven't even looked at Aquarion yet, so I can't say anything about it. I didn't want to pick up yet another robot show this season. I'm still not terribly interested in Linne, but it's good enough to continue to the end.

Symphogear... yeah I'm watching it for Yuuki Aoi, but it's still fun, and Hibiki did that weird thing last episode again...
Symphogear could be great, but somehow it doesn't really work out for me. I'm curious where this one goes (though I'm bracing myself for disappointment, plotwise, it hasn't come yet); and, yeah, Yuuki Aoi had one of her best performances yet in this one.

Daily Lives of High School Boys
is pretty good, and the high school girls are great.
Not sure about that. I don't like the show much, actually, and the girls annoy me as much as the boys, and then... then, they pull a brilliant stint that makes sitting through the annoying rest worthwhile.

I'm also quite fond of Inu X Boku SS with it's combination of melodrama and goofy comedy (but they always threaten to go over board in both directions); and Kill Me Baby is just pure mindless fun.

Curious about next season. IIRC, both Kimi to Boku and Fate/Zero return. Kore Zombie gets a sequel. There's a Saki spin off. And I'm terribly curious about Madeka Box.

@Heat Guy J: The name rings a bell, but I'm drawing a blank. I don't think I've ever seen it.

By the way, has anyone here seen Kaiji? Any Good?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, has anyone here seen Kaiji? Any Good?

I hear it's supposed to be good despite the (to me) off-putting art style. I never bothered, though, when I heard it was mostly a sausage fest. (Yeah... I'm like that.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
And even if the anime seems to started off a bit weak, 2012 will be a great year for anime movies.

...Though we won't see any of them until at least 2013... which means not at all, because the world will already have ended. Dammit! I need to get to Japan for fall 2012! My life depends on it!

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
However, I still can't bring myself to care about any of the characters. Any interest I have in the show is strictly plot related.
Ok. I don't dislike the characters, but after thinking about it I can say that I have the same feeling. At the moment there isn't really a character that I worry about. Maybe I would worry about the one-eyed girl, but I don't have the feeling that she is in any danger whatsoever.

I'll compare this to Shiki, where there were several characters, even minor ones, that I really wanted to survive, and I felt this already from the first episode. E.g. the nurse with the impossibly angled green hair, or even the slimy, evil boy. Every time they were in some danger I wished that no, this person particular mustn't die now. I haven't really felt that in Another, but then there has not been time to feel any such emotions because the deaths have been so quick and unavoidable, not giving any room for suspense. I'm not saying this procedure is bad in itself though.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, they're handling the plot quite well. At the moment, I think the most obvious developments would involve the dolls and Mei's doll's eye. Alternatively, their ignoring him simply won't stop the curse; his aunt might be next victim (headaches...) [think of what that news might do to the class mates strategy and morals, if they hear about that]. Many paths are open for the narrative.
Some spoilers from episode 5:
Yes, the girl should be able to see who the ghost is with her magic eye. Maybe she already knows, though she hasn't given any sign of that. The most obvious candidate is Sakakibara, because Akazawa said that she feels like she remember him from before. Though this might be a red herring, like the red herring about Misaki being a ghost. By the way, I think that the reason the classmated didn't tell Sakakibara about the curse was they were afraid that by talking to him about Misaki, that would put her into focus and it would be like they were not ignoring her any more.

Of course many paths are open for the narrative, what I mean is just that I do not see how the main characters should proceed the investigation, because at the moment it seems hopeless to fight against the curse, or even to find any clue about how to do it. Maybe they can find something out by doing a lot of research and asking around though.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I hear it's supposed to be good despite the (to me) off-putting art style. I never bothered, though, when I heard it was mostly a sausage fest. (Yeah... I'm like that.)

That's pretty much where I stand; hearing good things but mustering no motivation to start it. (Yes, the art style puts me off, too.)

Camilla Delvalle said:
...what I mean is just that I do not see how the main characters should proceed the investigation, because at the moment it seems hopeless to fight against the curse, or even to find any clue about how to do it. Maybe they can find something out by doing a lot of research and asking around though.

I can see what you mean; the plot doesn't favour further initiative from the main characters. Personally, I think asking around is sort of reckless. Perhaps, the library guy, if he's in no way related to the class? Other than that...

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone watch Black Rock Shooter? I've seen the OVA, and I'm now watching the series, but I don't care for either enough to have a clear preference. The OVA was better in the friendship department (this one's overdoing a drama a tad), but I find the TV-series does a better job with the other world.

@Another: I did love the dancing-in-the-classroom fantasy. I wish they'd break the mood more often.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'll finally write down what I've been thinking about Chihaya furu. So far I have seen two themes:

1. Cooperation and team-spirit. Helping each other and learning from others.
2. Learning as step-wise enlightenment, a la Karate Kid something. Chihaya gets better in steps when she realizes things about the game, sometimes through visions.

From the first few episodes I thought the story would be a bit darker, with more depression and stuff when Arata stopped playing, like in Clannad or Ano Hana. He seems to be fine though, has a job and so on. I guess it's ok that not all series are dark and edgy.

For a long time, after they assembled the team, there hasn't been much character conflict and not many problems. The series has focused a lot on the game itself, which I have found very interesting though. This series must be a dream for karuta players. It has also made me feel more inclined to play games like chess and poker again.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
How is everyone else not enjoying Endless Eva Allusions Rinne no Lagrange as much as I am?

(But seriously, the "One more final: I need you" imagery was ridiculously blatant in this episode.)

You did? Then I have to too.

I've moved onto ef ~a tale of melodies~.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
How is everyone else not enjoying Endless Eva Allusions Rinne no Lagrange as much as I am?

Have no idea. It's... nice. But that's it.

I've moved onto ef ~a tale of melodies~.

Tell me what you think of it. Loved "memories", but never got around to "melodies".

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen Koihime Muso or Shuffle!? They any good?

Never heard of Koihime Muso, but I've seen Shuffle. It's... decent entertainment with stretches of stupidity. I'd neither recommend nor disrecommend it. It has its moments (and surprisingly for a harem show the guy made a decision, and to top it off, the one I would have made), but at times I really wanted to fast-forward. Ultimately, I don't remember it much, even though some scenes stand out. (I could have been vague in fewer words. :tongue )

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Tell me what you think of it. Loved "memories", but never got around to "melodies".

It's even more depressing and I love it.

I think I prefer ~memories~ slightly, because it seemed a bit more focused, I think. Also, the setting reveal in ~melodies~ (which probably wasn't supposed to be hidden from the beginning, particularly considering I think it contradicts a cut or two in ~memories~) was a bit jarring. Either that, or I just missed it the first time. I can't tell if that was a change from the game and it actually was supposed to all take place in the same place or not.

Any anime with a Tenmon soundtrack sets the perfect mood for my writing. But dammit, between ef and Shinkai's works, I've exhausted all his anime work. Take a break from doing game soundtracks and do an anime or two that isn't Shinkai's goddammit!

Also, this explains why C3 last season felt so Shaft-y.