Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
HA HA Soul! That is great. I regularly keep those plastic spiders around and I've been known to hide them in my guestroom (on the bed) when my sisters come to visit ;) You would think after the first time they would know, but they still scream at the sight of it. I know, I know. I'm sort of evil.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
That's great, Octavia! LOL

I cut my wife no slack on bugs, but I do give her a pass on spiders. She has some serious arachnaphobia.

We were watching a movie a few years back (8 Legged Freaks?) and while she tried to watch it, she kept involuntarily smacking her arms and legs. There's something screwed up in her mind that gave her the tactile sensation that spiders was crawling on her.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
ok THE K8rdashi8ns are writing a novel- the apocolypse is immenent

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Ick, I've got a bug story...

Setting: Summer 2001. A tiny basement apartment, an area infested with waterbugs.

I'm asleep. My roommate is away for the evening. I'm dreaming some pleasant dream, when all of a sudden the dream takes a horrible turn. A bug is crawling on me. I reach up, grab the creature crawling along my neck and fling it across the room. And that's when I wake up, half sitting in bed with my hand outstretched as if I've just thrown something. I look across the room, and there it is. The bastard that had been actually crawling on my neck!!!

I was going to post a picture, but I can't bring myself to do it. But, for those who don't know... Waterbugs are HUGE cockroaches! Google it. DISGUSTING!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Snappy, I had the same thing happen to me when I was a teenager. I felt a weight on my face, and woke up, slapping something away. I wasn't sure whether or not I was dreaming until I heard something bumping around the room.

It was a bat.

My parents have an old farmhouse, and there was an unused fireplace in my room. For a little while, we had quite a few bats in the house -- sometimes flying, sometimes you'd find them curled up asleep in the morning -- but that was definitely my least favorite bat encounter.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Yeah, you can call them waterbugs if it makes you feel better, but a cockroach by any other name. They're huge. They fly. *shudder*

My bug/spider story is that when I was about 7 years old, my dad called me into the bedroom with this terrified, urgent tone in his voice. At the time, my folks had only been married like 6 months, so I didn't know him that well. But I went into the bedroom, thinking what's the matter?

Spider. Smallish, rather inoffensive. He was paralyzed with fear. I had to kill it and even after I had thoroughly ground it into nothing, he was shaky.

Then he showed me the scar. About 3 inches in diameter, it was a divot in his arm, where a doctor carved out a huge chunk of flesh to fix a brown recluse bite when my dad was about my age.

So, we still kill spiders for him. Anything else, he'll take care of. But spiders are someone else's job.

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
agent is on vacay this week- so NO NEWS for me until next Monday at the earliest...twiddling thumbs- writing new manuscript- trying not to LOSE it..
bug- spiders bite me like crazy- i'll wke up in the am with 10 bites- but hubby has none...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Super secret news here: Editorial full request today for my first book.

I'm beginning to think that agents were right about my second book because it's not doing as well. I really love it more, but I'll take what I get.

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
KELLION!!!!! woo-hoo- i will not muted yay that...are you still on OK terms with your first agent...did you know they were still trying to sell it?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
She's not submitting it -- I am. She left many a stone unturned, and I'm trying to turn them myself. I had hoped my next agent would do that for me, but who knows when that will be?

Sorry to put this in the Pit, guys -- I expect the Hellhounds, waterbugs, spiders, cockroaches and bats to get me now.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Muted yay, Kellion. And crazy on the bat story.

And waterbugs are no joke. They're like obese roaches on steroids.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
YYYAAAYYY Kellion!!!!!!!

UGH on the bats. But I have to ask...were the curled up sleeping bats cute? I kinda think bats are cute...from a distance.

LOL Red on your Dad!!! I mean, his phobia is understandable but still...the idea of a kid having to kill a spider for their Dad....*giggles*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Sleeping bats are very tiny, and when they're all tucked up, like on the floor or a lamp, it's hard to tell what they are.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
... and I got an editorial pass (different editor). Queries giveth, rejections taketh away. That's what I get for posting good news in the Pit!

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
at least you're hearing back from editors--- unlike some of us ahem...

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
ugh...even contemp ya writers are getting on the dystopia bandwagon... c8urtn8y summ8rs latest is about zombies... please, please tell me contemporary stuff still gets published..

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
{{Kellion}}

I think I'd have to resist knitting the little sleeping bat a little pillow...of course then it'd prob fly at my face sending me off shrilling in terror...

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
ugh...even contemp ya writers are getting on the dystopia bandwagon... c8urtn8y summ8rs latest is about zombies... please, please tell me contemporary stuff still gets published..
Seriously? Ugh. Maybe it was a good thing I temporarily put aside my contemp to work on my ghost story/horror.

Oh, this is pit-worthy - PM listed a YA deal for a novel with almost an identical title to the one I have on sub. Plot/genre is different, but oy.

Status
Not open for further replies.