• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Spectrum Literary Agency

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i couldn't find a thread on her?!

snail mail query with first chapter
on 2/11/08.

form R via SASE on 7/26/08.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Just to give this thread an update should anyone else wander in here.

I queried Ms. Wood October 2, received my SASE with form rejection December 21.

Thanks for posting, I guess my R is due anytime too, I queried around mid-October.

Update: Came in on 2/3/10... that was quite a long time!

Last edited:

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Sent off a snail mail query to Ms. Wood today. The site warns that it can take 1-3 months for a response. Doh.

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
I sent off a snail mail w/ a SASE (and, I think, my first 50...? whatever was requested on their website) in mid-November. Have heard bupkus since. Don't hold them to 3 months. They must be swamped! (Or my letter was lost in MailLand.)

rperkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
richard-rowland-perkins.com
Dawnny, I queried Ms Wood via snail mail on November 7, and I haven't heard anything back yet either. If sciri's experience is any indication we could be waiting another month before we get word. Sometimes I wish patience was my strong suit.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Queried by snail mail 11/30/09, haven't heard a thing since. I mean, how much energy does it take to scrawl "No" on my query letter, stuff it in my SASE and drop it in the outgoing mail?

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bewilderingstories.com
Well, they must have read the complaints they weren't even courteous enough to bother sending a refusal, because I just sent them the (required) snail mail query, which was, from the speed in which a generic form letter refusal returned to me, instantly stuffed into the SASE return and mailed back to me.

Their reply said they were not taking on new clients, so I'd not waste my time with this one. In addition, you have to waste postage costs sending the SASE and your initial query...

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
I wouldn't be surprised that Spectrum is swamped, and extremely selective. They are one of the biggest agencies around, particularly if you are writing in the SF field. Their list of authors and authors' estates is like a "Who's Who" of famous SF writers.

It was the first agency I tried with my shiny new MS. You know, the MS we all look back on and go "why didn't I know then what I know now?" I got a quick rejection. They don't do YA novels. Even if they did, I suspect the result would have been the same.

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bewilderingstories.com
Too true. Sadly, what "choosy" means is "New author? Outta-here." Oh well: facts of life.

Worth trying once, since, indeed, Spectrum is one of the few with the big name sci fi client list. Now on to hungrier agents, hopefully. We'll become rich and famous together (I'm smiling).

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Too true. Sadly, what "choosy" means is "New author? Outta-here." Oh well: facts of life.

I'm sure there's some of that, but from my research even the most successful agencies are always on the lookout for the "next big thing." When I look at debut authors in the "new deals" section of Publishers Marketplace, I have noticed that many of them are signed up with large and established agencies.

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
Just got a rejection about a week and a half short of a year after I mailed it. That's got to be a personal record. Still, it's better than the ones who never reply.