past publications

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Do you always list where your work has been published? I had two short stories published ten years ago. One of them is a decent publication that I still like to read, but it is not way up there. And the other one was just an online journal. I have not been saying anything in my cover letter, but I am wondering if I should mention at least one of them. But, again, it was from ten years ago. Is it too old to mention?

My other question is do you ever say where you have published nonfiction as well in the cover letter? I have so many of those and have won several awards, but I kind of think that it doesn't count when it comes to fiction.

What do you guys think? Do you always list all your past publications or if you leave some out how do you choose? Also, how much of an impact does it have when submitting?

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If one of your stories appeared in a "decent" publication, I don't think the fact that it was ten years ago matters a lot. Do you feel obligated to list publication dates for all your work? Some agents say they want those details but others don't seem to care. Check online and see what the agency expects in a query letter.

Depending on what kind of nonfiction you have published (letters to the editor don't count), I would definitely mention that fact, along with awards you have won.

On the other hand, if you think your credits don't look impressive enough, it's possible to come up with some kind of all-inclusive but vague statement like "I have published fiction and nonfiction in a number of magazines, including [the "decent" one], and have won several awards for my writing."

Ultimately, an agent's reaction to your query will be based more on the work you are planning to submit than on your credits.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I am not talking about agents. I am talking about cover letters that go with submissions to literary journals. Do you think the same applies?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I am very proud of my nonfiction work. I was a journalist for 10 years and got to write some great stuff for great publications, but are literary journals going to care about that if I am submitting fiction?

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I would list both. It sounds like your journalism work is quite impressive. The two fiction credits show you are versatile.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Everyone will have their own answer, but...

I only list publications that are on a roughly equal reputation level to the one I'm submitting to. So for a pro market, I'd only list pro and established semi-pro sales (I choose the best three). When I only had sales to small token-payers, I'd list them on subs to other tokens, but not to pro markets.

I wouldn't list non-fiction for a short story cover letter.

I haven't found it makes any real difference. There was a point where I got better and started getting through to later rounds and acceptances... but it happened at a bunch of markets at once, so they all had my no-credits cover letter. My writing improvements made more of an impact than my credits improvements (though one led to the other).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't list nonfiction. Being able to write nonfiction well has no bearing at all on being able to write nonfiction. I do list my best couple of fiction sales, but try to list ones in the same genre as the magazine I'm submitting to.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Yes, I do, but I sort of summarize them by saying, I've had (number) stories published in (magazine name), etc. I don't list them by title. I also list any anthologies my stories have appeared in, but just in general.

It's called my writing biography.

MatthewWuertz

shadow magic, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewwuertz.com
If it's a paying market, I would mention it. Even if it was from ten years ago (though I wouldn't mention that it was ten years ago). The point is that you were published; that doesn't lose its merit over time.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Many...

editors ask for a brief CV/bio with a submission.

Tailor your credits to fit the journal/zine/magazine, as people here have suggested. And if you are submitting to a literary journal or a general magazine which occasionally publishes fiction I would mention your top non-fiction awards/credits.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
So far I have not been including any past publications. I don't know if my two short story publications hold any real weight, though one of them I still like to read. I think I would include one of them, but it seems weird to list just one. I am still not sure about listing journalism credits. I have many of those, but I feel like it is apples and oranges. I kind of feel like I am starting from scratch.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I have about 3 different cover letters. One just thanks the editor for their time and doesn't include any publications or awards (even though I have that pro sale, etc.), the other lists a couple publications (last two-three) and the third mentions interseting things I've done (like worked in Bone Marrow Transplant) - to tailor to what the magazine asks for.

From what I understand (both from reading interviews and doing slush) cover letters don't tend to matter. I never read them as a slush reader anyway, many don't. It's the first page of that story that gets people to read the rest of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.