A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this thread would be the best place for me to pose this perplexing question.

Over the Easter weekend, an article on the news discussed what to do with leftover chocolate.

Tell me, what is 'leftover chocolate'? Not a phrase I'm familiar with....

Shara
That's a typo. The real question is: What should that word "leftover" really be?

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
My grandbaby is stylin' fo sure!

**Exact wording and specs are left off to avoid the google machine.**

I had to come on here to get over my very pissed offness, which is really rare for me. My historical research was used in an ad without crediting me. My survey map of an old cem e tery, where our li br ary wants to put a parking lot, was used by the anti-parking lot folks. OK, I don't mind that they used it because we know there are probably still bodies there, some being veterans, and I'm not up for the park ing lot unless they can avoid the old cem e tery boundary, and I handed out some copies of the map at the li br ary board meeting, BUT jezzz get the info right if you're going to put it in print! It is hard enough for historian's to correct century old myths with facts without printing brand new errors.

I did hours, and HOURS of research, in two counties, to find the deed to the cem e tery, all the way back to 1825. I also found a survey for the guy's original parcel dated 1821 which was a miracle. I then took that survey, the metes & bounds description off the deed, and drew a new survey to scale with a current county property map, then overlaid it so people could see just how big it was. Definitely 10' widening to 20' going back on the property where they want the parking lot.

So they used the survey map I drew in the ad, said it was 1900 instead of 1825, and didn't say where they got it. Where the heck they got 1900 I haven't a clue.

So I shot off a diplomatic but firm email stating they had to run a correction ad with the correct information word for word, including where they got it from. I went on a bit about it being on them to make sure what they told people was true, because that is what people are complaining about with the li br ary. Lack of facts and being kept in the dark. I also said it affects my reputation as an abstractor if they put the wrong dates. (Make me look incompetent much?)

OK, vent over.... I feel a little better.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
HS that is appalling! Not that they used your work but the mistakes they made. I cannot but help but wonder at the wrong date - so careless it could almost be deliberate!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:rant: Oh, History. How frustrating! Keep us posted, will you?

People astound me.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WOW. That came out huge, huh? But she's cute right?

What a beautiful Picture, HS. She's gonna be a heart breaker.

**Exact wording and specs are left off to avoid the google machine.**

I had to come on here to get over my very pissed offness, which is really rare for me. My historical research was used in an ad without crediting me. My survey map of an old cem e tery, where our li br ary wants to put a parking lot, was used by the anti-parking lot folks. OK, I don't mind that they used it because we know there are probably still bodies there, some being veterans, and I'm not up for the park ing lot unless they can avoid the old cem e tery boundary, and I handed out some copies of the map at the li br ary board meeting, BUT jezzz get the info right if you're going to put it in print! It is hard enough for historian's to correct century old myths with facts without printing brand new errors.

I did hours, and HOURS of research, in two counties, to find the deed to the cem e tery, all the way back to 1825. I also found a survey for the guy's original parcel dated 1821 which was a miracle. I then took that survey, the metes & bounds description off the deed, and drew a new survey to scale with a current county property map, then overlaid it so people could see just how big it was. Definitely 10' widening to 20' going back on the property where they want the parking lot.

So they used the survey map I drew in the ad, said it was 1900 instead of 1825, and didn't say where they got it. Where the heck they got 1900 I haven't a clue.

So I shot off a diplomatic but firm email stating they had to run a correction ad with the correct information word for word, including where they got it from. I went on a bit about it being on them to make sure what they told people was true, because that is what people are complaining about with the li br ary. Lack of facts and being kept in the dark. I also said it affects my reputation as an abstractor if they put the wrong dates. (Make me look incompetent much?)

OK, vent over.... I feel a little better.

Not surprised you needed to vent. What an awful thing to happen.:Hug2: As Jude says, do let us know what happens.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HS! I don't blame you for being angry. Sheesh!!! Wrong information and no credit! Could you sue them for that? It sounds almost like plagiarism to me.

ETA: I hope you used the word 'twatwaffle' in your email. I think that would make a great salutation for them.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
HS! I don't blame you for being angry. Sheesh!!! Wrong information and no credit! Could you sue them for that? It sounds almost like plagiarism to me.

ETA: I hope you used the word 'twatwaffle' in your email. I think that would make a great salutation for them.

Yeah I think the word twatwaffle was invented for people like this. Hope you showed them some decent wrath, HS. Very poor show on their part.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Naw, I wouldn't sue or anything, it's just local stuff. It just really annoyed me! I think it's good they are having a voice and all, but to be taken seriously they have remember to make sure facts are right. It's just a really hot issue here. One of them must have said it was my work because a couple came in to our office for information and after I introduced myself, he said he had been looking forward to meeting me, which was sweet. Turns out he's the town zoning officer. I just don't see the library getting their way if the zoning guy is mad, the village judge, the veterans. There is a stop order on the building the library wants to tear down. They never got the permits, insisted they didn't need them (has asbestos too.) What a mess.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh and back to my Easter theft story .....

they did catch the guy the same night. It really was a worlds dumbest criminal story. Yep. While the officer was going around to the usual stores to check if someone had been in with a crap load of change to make a purchase, questions like that, he gets another car break in call. Turns out it was a car at the house where the thief lived but a different tenant. So while the cop is there said criminal had locked himself out of his apartment and asks the cop for help. Cop sees the can of change on his stoop (just pennies.) Cop looks in his car window and sees the Garmin clip, and a nickel baggy of pot and a lot of silver change under his floor mat. Idiot.

It was in the papers today so I went and got a copy of the police report Cop at the police station tells me they didn't find the Garmin on him, and he wouldn't admit to it or consent to a search of his apartment. They did get a search warrant the next day, and found the can in his house with some change left. Now wouldn't you think he would have gotten rid of that? Probably traded the GPS for drugs.

Sometimes they may lower the charge if he says who he sold/traded the stolen items for but the DA may not want to since this guys rap sheet is pretty long with this kind of stuff. (They also found some other people's stuff on their stolen goods list.)

I'll keep you posted on that as the news happens

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
they did catch the guy the same night. It really was a worlds dumbest criminal story. Yep. While the officer was going around to the usual stores to check if someone had been in with a crap load of change to make a purchase, questions like that, he gets another car break in call. Turns out it was a car at the house where the thief lived but a different tenant. So while the cop is there said criminal had locked himself out of his apartment and asks the cop for help. Cop sees the can of change on his stoop (just pennies.) Cop looks in his car window and sees the Garmin clip, and a nickel baggy of pot and a lot of silver change under his floor mat. Idiot.

Great news that they caught him, HS. I hope they don't lower the charge.

Did you ask for your pot back?:D

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Good that the guy was caught. What a dope! (no pun intended!)

Back home from just over a week with my brother and his family. Had a really good time doing lots of stuff. Sis-in-law's dad had a ninety-first birthday party which was great fun. My niece took me to Chartwell - Winston Churchill's home. We had a really good day together. Sigh . . . why do good times pass so quickly?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Laundry is a beast that should be extinct. I have a laundry beast sniggering at me - I have prodded it and it is now smaller than it was this morning. I also have a house work beast that is getting so big anyone would think I was feeding it. If it lives on dust then I probably am feeding it. Sigh . . . there is also the garden beast, the carwash beast - not too mention the dirtydishes beast. I do not think they evolved but that they were created. blech!

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you had a good time, Shakesbear. Don't be too hard on the dust bunnies. They can be really good friends. You can give them names and have long discussions with them. They'll always agree with everything you say. :D

Before they cart me off to the basement... I made an apple and nut ring cake this afternoon and covered it with a cup and a half of chocolate ganache. I'm sending each of you a really big slice. :)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
GailD thanks for the apple and nut ring the chocolate gnache is delish! nom nom nom

Dust bunnies? Mine must be a very different breed to yours. Not only do they keep fighting with Clarence the Teddy Bear they also spread dreadful lies about me! Um... where is the basement?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad he was caught HS, and that Shakes had a good time!

I'm currently in Mâcon in Bourgogne at another convention, up at 2:45am and totally awake, wishing breakfast would hurry up and start. But having a really good time so far. More annoying my wee actor whom I adore and stalk round the world tomorrow (though we'd a wee chat today) then Paris on Monday. I love being a European!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, sounds wonderful! If I ever need stalking tips, I'm coming to you. ;)

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GailD thanks for the apple and nut ring the chocolate gnache is delish! nom nom nom

Dust bunnies? Mine must be a very different breed to yours. Not only do they keep fighting with Clarence the Teddy Bear they also spread dreadful lies about me! Um... where is the basement?

Bad dust bunnies. Hit 'em with a broom. Clarence deserves better. :)

The basement is... here. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203578 Wonderful place for writers who have lost their... um... minds.
I'm still looking for mine. I know I left it somewhere around here.... with my reading glasses...

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Bad dust bunnies. Hit 'em with a broom. Clarence deserves better. :)

The basement is... here. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203578 Wonderful place for writers who have lost their... um... minds.
I'm still looking for mine. I know I left it somewhere around here.... with my reading glasses...

I'm sorry, what's that last line say? Left my glasses somewhere and it's so tiny I can't read it. Oh bother...........
:D