Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, FMA! I got Kathleen Rushall, who I was excited to be introduced to, seeing as she's pretty new and I didn't know about her. But she seems really cool, from what I've read, and would be a great match, genre-wise

ETA: Yeah, I'm totally confused on the next step, lol. There was something about authors/bloggers promoting pitches...? Idk

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Yeah, I'm totally confused on the next step, lol. There was something about authors/bloggers promoting pitches...? Idk
Yeah, and prizes and voting? I dunno, I'm just kind of going along for the ride :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and crossing fingers!!! :hooray:

To add to the good news, I got another full request this morning :snoopy: Yay!!

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to all of the Write On Con folks! I hope that turns out to be a great thing for you.

Smiley, yay! I have no doubt that you're going to get an offer any day now. :D

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! I hope the conversation will go smoothly.
#
Also want to share this link which was given in another thread.
http://www.sparringmind.com/productivity-science/
This is about productivity, and it's full of win. Not precisely new, but it has all the active recent theories put together in a sharp, robust, structured, useful way.
I already created an Accountability Chart for my current wip.

Hoo, nice. I made a Teuxdeux account and found an online stopwatch. Need to get a whiteboard for the accountability chart.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
YAY Smiley!

I'm hoping to finish the SC synopsis tonight or tomorrow. I'm going out with a friend tomorrow, so I might bring the laptop with me in case we go into a coffee shop to write and hang out.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
SPIDERS? Personally, I like spiders for only one reason...makes me feel like a real "He-Man" 'cause it's the only thing my wife can't tolerate. So, I gladly step up to the plate and exterminate. Otherwise...um...my wife has to toss out mice from mouse-traps 'cause I have too much empathy for the poor lil' dead critters.

WRITE ON CON people! Congrats! You're going great guns!

Thanks for the well wishes to you who wished well. But I think I'm gonna' hold off for a while seeking an agent. Even though one of my favorite manuscripts got rejected once (Random House's imprint), Dr. Kansas says I should sit on it a while and then actually look at it again down the road. I said, "but honey, it's a form rejection!" She says, "yeah, so?" Usually, she's right on the money. Who am I to spit in the face of logic? It's kinda' like Parump says, maybe I should just sit tight at my current publisher. The problem is they can't keep up with me! I want three books out a year!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Crap! And a Veronica Mars movie? Hellz yeah, I'm donating! That dad-gummed series helped inspire my YA series! No way can I not help my muse!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Gah! Sorry, LisaLu-Who!

I just responded!

Sometimes I get lost in tornadic activity here in Kansas.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Random question: Just because you can write X number of words on one size of paper doesn't necessarily mean that a page half of that would be half X?

I want to know so I can figure out how many notebooks to get for next month.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley - holy cow your MS is on fire! You've surely got good things coming your way...

To the WriteOnCon people... is that like NaNoWriMo? What did you have to do to get your pitch assigned an agent? Sounds really cool!

I'm going to speak with the agent on Monday, and so this weekend I'm going to work my tail off to get past the 50K mark. I also need to put a lot of thought into where my WIP is going/the various character arcs that are causing me issues. Hopefully I won't sound scatter-brained on Monday!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm onto the bit I'm stuck on in the novel in the synopsis. What should I do? Carry on writing the synopsis or write that bit I'm stuck on first?

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
To the WriteOnCon people... is that like NaNoWriMo? What did you have to do to get your pitch assigned an agent? Sounds really cool!
WriteOnCon is an annual free online writing conference. The last one was this summer, and it was pretty cool. They're currently hosting a pitch fest outside of the regular conference, but on the same boards. Here's a link: http://writeoncon.com/

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
And that's it. I've finally managed to complete an entire outline for a novel after who knows how many years of trying to pants them. Gonna take a couple days away from it, maybe a week, then come back with fresh eyes to begin editing it out. When Camp Wrimo rolls around in April I'll be ready to go.

In the meantime I'll roll right into the outline for Golden Wings because why not.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Pitchfest is over for new entries now, right? I took a peek at their website.

http://writeoncon.com/

I write freelance articles. The CEO of one of my clients asked me to write a whole bunch more for a raise in pay. I hate writing those articles, but I do like money, and it is temporary.

Sadly, my novel will wallow for the next week. I have a quota. I wrote about 2,000 words today to make some quick bucks.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm back from the final rugby tournament of the year. Yay! I scored two tries, and a few converts, so it's a good way to end the season. And I think I had fun at the after party...it's all a bit hazy right now ;)

Congrats to those of you who managed to enter WriteOnCon. I let it fall to the side in part of my hole of despair that I sunk into the last few weeks. Ah well.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Congrats to those of you who managed to enter WriteOnCon. I let it fall to the side in part of my hole of despair that I sunk into the last few weeks. Ah well.

I hope you feel better, Kewii! And I'm with you—I didn't get my revision done in time. But it's a big revision, and the book had good query response the first go-round, so...here's hoping.

Good luck to all of you pitching, and Smiley, I'm with everybody else--The Call is coming any day now.

I'm hoping to spend today writing...bu I also just got my new zoom lens in the mail. This could be a problem. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs Kewii*

I happened upon both the writeoncon and pitchmadness at the last second, so I entered both.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Gah! Head-hopping! I was just called a head-hopper! MUCH worse than being a life-time criminal.

You know, it's a thin line between "head-hopping" and third person narrative. I made one mistake, took out "I felt like he was..." and then I received that nasty accusation. I've read many books where the narrative flips back and forth, sometimes jarring, other times smooth as melted butter.

What's your guys take on the raging (at least in my head) controversy?

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of narrative, has anyone ever read a good book in second person narrative? I mean, it's kinda' stupid and pompous. The only time I've ever seen it used well is in beer commercials ("You've just pounded six beers, berated your wife. You feel great while you're passed out...").

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
I've read some good 2nd person in Choose Your Own Adventure books. I'd love to write that type of fiction for adults. Anyone wanna create a pseudonym and start a CYOA factory with me? :) We'd be making quirky, yet thrilling titles with naughty content- for adults, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.