Chelsea Manning Strikes Back with NY times OpEd

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FORT LEAVENWORTH, Kan. — WHEN I chose to disclose classified information in 2010, I did so out of a love for my country and a sense of duty to others. I’m now serving a sentence of 35 years in prison for these unauthorized disclosures. I understand that my actions violated the law.
However, the concerns that motivated me have not been resolved. As Iraq erupts in civil war and America again contemplates intervention, that unfinished business should give new urgency to the question of how the United States military controlled the media coverage of its long involvement there and in Afghanistan. I believe that the current limits on press freedom and excessive government secrecy make it impossible for Americans to grasp fully what is happening in the wars we finance.

If you were following the news during the March 2010 elections in Iraq, you might remember that the American press was flooded with stories declaring the elections a success, complete with upbeat anecdotes and photographs of Iraqi women proudly displaying their ink-stained fingers. The subtext was that United States military operations had succeeded in creating a stable and democratic Iraq.

Those of us stationed there were acutely aware of a more complicated reality.

Military and diplomatic reports coming across my desk detailed a brutal crackdown against political dissidents by the Iraqi Ministry of Interior and federal police, on behalf of Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki. Detainees were often tortured, or even killed.

Early that year, I received orders to investigate 15 individuals whom the federal police had arrested on suspicion of printing “anti-Iraqi literature.” I learned that these individuals had absolutely no ties to terrorism; they were publishing a scholarly critique of Mr. Maliki’s administration. I forwarded this finding to the officer in command in eastern Baghdad. He responded that he didn’t need this information; instead, I should assist the federal police in locating more “anti-Iraqi” print shops.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/o...arys-campaign-against-media-freedom.html?_r=1

Words of power from an American Hero whom I am proud to call my friend.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Down through the ages of tyrants and despots, the one thing they cannot control is what goes on in our minds.

They can control what goes into our minds. And they can even prevent things from reaching our minds. But as far as the gears turning inside our heads every day, putting 2 and 2 together, and coming to realizations about what we see around us, they have zero control over that.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I'm sorta neutral on Manning's actions, but I disagree that the stuff she mentions about the elections, Maliki's corruption, etc, would have been unknown with her - anyone who was paying attention knew long before the 2010 elections that this stuff was going on. Ink-stained fingers were more like a 2005 thing, and certainly no one four years ago would've thought that things were rosy for Iraqi women.

The way our government is restricting press freedoms are indeed dire, but the corporate interests of media entities does at least as much damage to the concept of narrative independence and truth.

I'm not sure how to fix either thing :(

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How did she manage to get this published in the state controled corporate lacky New York Times?

Actually, it's corporately controlled NYT and corporately controlled state...but the illusion of non-propaganda news and reporting has to be maintained somehow, right? And Chelsea's a big name right now...

EffinGoose

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it's corporately controlled NYT and corporately controlled state...but the illusion of non-propaganda news and reporting has to be maintained somehow, right? And Chelsea's a big name right now...

Yep. Posting this stuff helps maintain an illusion of political discourse. Especially regarding social issues. We fight and fight over stuff that should simply be a simple inalienable right to a person while they make big money no matter who wins.

That said, I honestly wouldn't consider Chelsea a hero, simply because she released documents en masse without going through them first. People (both military and Iraqi) have died due to the carelessness of the release. I'm not saying releasing documents of illegal actions is bad- Snowden is a hero because he showed massive government overreach and corruption while not compromising the lives of people in any significant way. I'd like to say I would have done the same thing if I was in his specific position, but I'd be egotistical of me to say a such when I didn't go through the crucible he did. She is certainly not evil or a traitor, and while I believe she should be punished for what she did, the current sentence is way to severe.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Posting this stuff helps maintain an illusion of political discourse. Especially regarding social issues. We fight and fight over stuff that should simply be a simple inalienable right to a person while they make big money no matter who wins.

That said, I honestly wouldn't consider Chelsea a hero, simply because she released documents en masse without going through them first. People (both military and Iraqi) have died due to the carelessness of the release. I'm not saying releasing documents of illegal actions is bad- Snowden is a hero because he showed massive government overreach and corruption while not compromising the lives of people in any significant way. I'd like to say I would have done the same thing if I was in his specific position, but I'd be egotistical of me to say a such when I didn't go through the crucible he did. She is certainly not evil or a traitor, and while I believe she should be punished for what she did, the current sentence is way to severe.

Well, actually, according to the military court, no one died nor was hurt as a result of Manning's releases:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/bradley-manning-sentencing-hearing-pentagon

EffinGoose

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't see your reply yesterday.

I stand corrected! I must have absorbed that notion from my time in the military and the time I spent trawling conservative sites to understand opposing viewpoints. Even more embarrassing is the fact it only took a quick Google search to corroborate the veracity of the article you posted. It's frightening how easy it is to internalize incorrect facts.

Well, with that piece of information, Chelsea is a person whose actions were undeniably just.