About all that violent rhetoric and talk of what terrorists are and are not and what not...

well?

• it's an outrage!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • racism, pure and simple.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
there's been a lot of talk around here lately about how terrorism is defined, about whether the term is used when it shouldn't be or not used when it should be, so what do we think: appropriate comment from a sitting vice-president about lawmakers from the other party?

joe-biden-5-18-09.jpg

Vice President Joe Biden joined House Democrats in lashing tea party Republicans Monday, accusing them of having “acted like terrorists” in the fight over raising the nation’s debt limit.

Biden was agreeing with a line of argument made by Rep. Mike Doyle (D-Pa.) at a two-hour, closed-door Democratic Caucus meeting.

“We have negotiated with terrorists,” an angry Doyle said, according to sources in the room. “This small group of terrorists have made it impossible to spend any money.”

Biden, driven by his Democratic allies’ misgivings about the debt-limit deal, responded: “They have acted like terrorists,” according to several sources in the room.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/60421.html#ixzz1TojWeP9i
there's also been a great deal of discussion here about violent metaphor in political rhetoric:

Earlier in the day, Biden told Senate Democrats that Republican leaders have “guns to their heads” in trying to negotiate deals.
Biden told Democratic lawmakers that the deal would take away the tea party’s “weapon of mass destruction” — the threat of a default on U.S. debt obligations.

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Usually when someone has grey colored hair it means they have acquired wisdom. I guess there are exceptions to all things. I'm sure this kind of talk will bite him in the butt down the road. :poke:

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
Well, his rhetoric is extreme, and I don't entirely agree. I see where he is coming from, though. The default contingent seemed willing to sacrifice the economic security of the nation to achieve political ends. His metaphor conflating the tea party's politicking with violence devalues the destructiveness of the latter, but he did say "like" terrorists.
One might say they held the economy "hostage", and I would understand that and somewhat agree as well.

A pox on both their houses.

Bracken

Registered
Reaction score
Well, his rhetoric is extreme, and I don't entirely agree. I see where he is coming from, though. The default contingent seemed willing to sacrifice the economic security of the nation to achieve political ends. His metaphor conflating the tea party's politicking with violence devalues the destructiveness of the latter, but he did say "like" terrorists.
One might say they held the economy "hostage", and I would understand that and somewhat agree as well.

A pox on both their houses.

I agree. They are thugs, threatening the security of the nation they were elected to protect, while reasonable politicians are forced to bargain with them.
It's sickening; intolerable.
This country's had it. We're doomed.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
The rhetoric is extreme, but metaphorically, it's not far from the truth. They held the economy hostage and demanded a ransom (which they mostly got, but are still too stupid to know that they won).

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
are you decoupling violence from "terrorist tactics"?

or making a case for metaphorical "violence" implicit in the legislation, or lack thereof?

it just seems to me a careless use of an exceedingly inflammatory term.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
it just seems to me a careless use of an exceedingly inflammatory term.
Yes it is, and it's a stupid thing to say, publicly

But the idea of holding the country hostage in order to achieve political goals does have a certain resonance with the political basis behind terrorism.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
yeah, but "holding the country hostage" is, in and of itself, a partisan opinion framed in violent imagery, so it's not like you're making a case for use of the term based on some objective reality.

i find it disappointing, but not surprising, to see manifest in this yet another "it's only wrong when the other side does it"
situation.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yes it is, and it's a stupid thing to say, publicly

But the idea of holding the country hostage in order to achieve political goals does have a certain resonance with the political basis behind terrorism.

And also with the continued mismanagement and misused rhetoric of the status quo.This is nothing more than demonizing the alternate point of view by using trigger-point language in order to inflame the American people--to create a campaign platform for an administration woefully short on either victories or targets at the moment. They can just be really thankful that the GOP has yet to settle on a viable presidential candidate.

Now, do I really *like* the tea party? No, I don't. I am equally unfond of equating the alternate point of view with the word "terrorist." And I'm reasonsbly certain that this, too, is another case of campaignism infiltrating what should be the daily business of the country. *shrug* The GOP have their birther idiots, and now the Dems have their terrorist morons. Lovely.

We just need to elect only the Amish and Mennonite people to elected office. At least the budget would be balanced and campaigns would be short or non-existent.

lcwrite

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I flipped through the channels and saw Chris Matthews talking about the Tea Party having taken America hostage and how now they can use the debt or any other topic of their choosing to force the President to do what they want.

Guess Chris doesn't understand the whole concept of equal powers, that Congress is an equal branch of the government. Wonder if he had that same lack of comprehension when Bush (43) was President and he had a Democrat run Congress?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
yeah, but "holding the country hostage" is, in and of itself, a partisan opinion framed in violent imagery, so it's not like you're making a case for use of the term based on some objective reality.

i find it disappointing, but not surprising, to see manifest in this yet another "it's only wrong when the other side does it"
situation.
Can you provide an example of the other side doing it?"

Politics often uses tactics where unrelated issues are lumped together. "I'll refuse to vote for extending unemployment benefits, unless you agree to defund planned parenthood." Sleazy, but "normal" and yes, both sides do it.

But this is very different. Allowing the US to default would have been economic disaster. The effect on the word economy is less clear, but it might well have triggered a global recession or worse. It's playing with fire. This is not a partisan position, it's pretty much accepted by every economist on the planet.

And to use that threat -- "either you deal with the debt situation in the way that we see fit, or we'll take down the entire country" is unprecedented. as far as I can remember, and unbelievable.

Even the GOP leaders understood how dangerous this was, but fears of a tea party backlash and getting primaried out appeared to be of prime importance.

I would be disappointed at your insistence that it's all the same, that both sides are equally at fault, if i hadn't come to expect that from you.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
First thing my mind went to was the Arizona crosshairs discussion.

The Vp supporting that kind of hyperbole doesn't get us anywhere useful.

indeed. and the thread referenced in the OP was spawned by the violence against her. ironic that we are celebrating her return to vote in a cesspool where the same type of rhetoric is being thrown around.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
First thing my mind went to was the Arizona crosshairs discussion.

The Vp supporting that kind of hyperbole doesn't get us anywhere useful.

Mine too. Ironic, isn't it, that this was the first vote that Gaby Giffords has cast since that incident?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there is a subtle difference here.

In the one case, the users of the rhetoric were the metaphoric threateners.

In the other, the users of the rhetoric were the metaphoric targets.

It's regrettable that they chose to vent this way, but they were venting, and I don't think the two examples are really equivalent.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I said not appropriate but understandable. Tea party does use violent metaphor often and did seem willing to screw up the US's economy just to make a point. I can understand why someone would get frustrated enough to call them terrorists. But, they committed a terror attack. That word should be reserved for the type of people that blow themselves up, shoot civilians and/or throw molotov cocktails into buildings.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like how your poll starts with the most inflammatory option. How cute. However, the definition of 'terrorist' is pretty clear to people who aren’t mentally challenged or trying to be faux-philosophical.

This thread should be locked.

Last edited: