Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Eh? I saw that in the Independent last weekend and it looked like a sure thing. What happened?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

+1. All she was convicted of was providing false information to the police. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during deliberations, to find out how they came to this verdict. It's...puzzling.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hide a body for long enough, and juries won't see enough dramatic CSI moments :( It's sick, really, imho.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, the jury says she is not guilty of killing her 2yo child.
Still the fact remains that someone killed this girl. She sure as hell didn't duct tape her mouth closed herself and then wander into a bog, and she sure as hell didn't put the tape on her face after she was dead.
So one must ask, who else had access to the child besides the mother?
I sure hope the police aren't going to close this case. Someone is guilty of this crime. The mother has been exonerated, so it must be someone else--mustn't?

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's possible the jury isn't denying there was murder, just that they didn't think there was enough proof to pin it on the defendant?

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the most disgusting things I've heard in a while.

I can only hope they keep her locked away for as long as possible for the information charge, and she becomes a social pariah when she's released, so she can't enjoy her new child-free life.

Shelley

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, the jury says she is not guilty of killing her 2yo child.
Still the fact remains that someone killed this girl. She sure as hell didn't duct tape her mouth closed herself and then wander into a bog, and she sure as hell didn't put the tape on her face after she was dead.
So one must ask, who else had access to the child besides the mother?
I sure hope the police aren't going to close this case. Someone is guilty of this crime. The mother has been exonerated, so it must be someone else--mustn't?

Nope. The child accidentally died in the pool, and Casey just left her rotting in the car a few days before throwing her in the swamp with duct tape all over her skull.

No problem. Just an accident.

It's a case of following the highest, strictest standard of the law to a fool's extent, imho.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Well, someone got paid off.

All it shows me is how useless the justice system is. A little girl is dead and in theory, with time served, she could walk out on Thursday a free woman.

All I hope is that the public shuns her like they did with OJ and she has no place to stay, no family, no friends for her to lie and steal from.

Bah.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Given the strength of feeling about the verdict, I should think she may have to go into hiding before someone takes the law into their own hands.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It isn't a who-dunn-it, more of a she-dun-what? So was the death deliberate or accidental? I guess reasonable doubt got in.

I find it more curious that this case got picked up for an international group hate when similar cases are discovered weekly.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's possible the jury isn't denying there was murder, just that they didn't think there was enough proof to pin it on the defendant?

I'm guessing that's it. It seemed to me that the prosecutors were never able to put all the loose ends together definitively.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hang on a sec...

Lets assume it was an accident. Do you have laws on the disposal of bodies?

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hard time assuming it was an accident considering she'd been looking up information online about how to kill someone.

Driving around with your child's dead body in your trunk while getting drunk and getting tattooed are sort of frowned upon by the law, even if it's an accidental death.

I'm sorry, I feel the bitch should burn no matter what happened. Perhaps I'm harsh.

Shelley

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Its the only thing we can talk about in work! I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! She is soooooooooo totally guilty!!! I'm just stunned she got away with it!!!!!

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
May she have an interesting life.

Shelley

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I have a hard time assuming it was an accident considering she'd been looking up information online about how to kill someone.

Driving around with your child's dead body in your trunk while getting drunk and getting tattooed are sort of frowned upon by the law, even if it's an accidental death.

I'm sorry, I feel the bitch should burn no matter what happened. Perhaps I'm harsh.

Shelley
Oh, her mother confessed on the stand to looking up chloroform on the family computer. That wasn't sweet little Casey.

Anybody that could do this to their child, or let something like this happen to their child, while partying and carrying on like it's nothing, deserves firing squad treatment, IMHO. I still wonder what the true story is, given how many times she's changed it.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It isn't a who-dunn-it, more of a she-dun-what? So was the death deliberate or accidental? I guess reasonable doubt got in.
I think the main problem was that the prosecution was unable to provide proof about how or when the daughter died. The duct tape evidence depended on subtle forensic evidence, which was challenged by defense experts.

My guess is that the jury may have believed it probable the daughter was murdered, but it was also possible it was an accident, since there was no definitive proof about the cause of death. You can't convict on probable.

As Veinglory says, reasonable doubt. Still, pretty amazing.