Angry Robot Round II: Epic Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about this sentence from their submission rules (if anyone knows definitively one way or the other):

"A full synopsis of the novel, including brief descriptions of the major characters."

Does anyone know if that means they want a synopsis and a character list, or do they want the characters described inside the body of the synopsis?

I'm leaning towards the character list and synopsis...

Last edited:

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Exciting! I'm guessing there will be another waiting club, like last year?

Tbh, the waiting club was what made a lot of the process bearable. The comraderie was awesome. Our social group is still going strong and we support each other, read each other's work, and edit manuscripts. I believe we're going to invite the ones who are promoted to the editorials of this submissions as well to the group.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I wish they had kept it as Epic Fantasy. My novel definitely fits into that genre, but can't be said for classic fantasy. Oh well, maybe next year. Looks like I'll have to get published the good ol' fashioned way.

Good luck to everyone who is entering!

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I wish they had kept it as Epic Fantasy. My novel definitely fits into that genre, but can't be said for classic fantasy. Oh well, maybe next year. Looks like I'll have to get published the good ol' fashioned way.

Good luck to everyone who is entering!

They do say classic, but then later:

you might describe it as high fantasy, epic, magical, low, classic, medieval, or whatever
So who knows, maybe you still qualify.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Just f##king send it and let them decide if it fits.

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score

Love this. My novel is epic fantasy; it doesn't include dragons, elves, dwarfs, castles, or burly heroes, but there's not a doubt it sits in the epic fantasy genre.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I have a question about this sentence from their submission rules (if anyone knows definitively one way or the other):

"A full synopsis of the novel, including brief descriptions of the major characters."

Does anyone know if that means they want a synopsis and a character list, or do they want the characters described inside the body of the synopsis?

I don't know definitively one way or the other, but I've included the character descriptions in the actual synopsis. Personally, it would annoy me to have to jump from the synopsis to the character list and then back again in order to figure out who Phineas Lockdoodle is and why he's trying to kill the protagonist.

I think they're using "classic" fantasy just to warn against urban fantasy, magical realism, and the like. If it's epic fantasy, I'd go ahead and send it.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
lol.

well my reading is classical = epic this side of the pond.

ie swords, castles, battles, magic, ie Tolkeinesque.

Just stumbled across this early today, glad it's on AW.

Have a classical YA fantasy, so i hit all the buttons!

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Then make sure to sub it to Strange Chemistry, the YA imprint, and NOT Angry Robot. Strange Chem is looking for all flavours of SFF, not just classic fantasy.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Then make sure to sub it to Strange Chemistry, the YA imprint, and NOT Angry Robot. Strange Chem is looking for all flavours of SFF, not just classic fantasy.
yes.

it happens to be classical Fantasy, so it still fits.
nice efficient submissions system, they're clearly tech savvy.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Anyone submit anything yet? I'm doing one last edit of my synopsis when I get home from work, a last read-through of my first 15K, and sending it in...

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone submit anything yet? I'm doing one last edit of my synopsis when I get home from work, a last read-through of my first 15K, and sending it in...
RO-BOT ROLL-CALL! (**high-fives all the MST3K fans**)

Who's in? Sound off!

I am! I am! (Submitted on my lunch break.)

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
Sent it in this morning!

... now to play the waiting game.

And go work on the next book.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Ok, I submitted! I am now officially in the waiting game!

:D:scared:

That sums up my feelings right now.

Ah, and congrats Filigree! That's awesome!

Last edited:

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
"I have a question about this sentence from their submission rules (if anyone knows definitively one way or the other):

I'm leaning towards the character list and synopsis..."

From what I've read, I think it's unusually better to include your characters within your synopsis. I don't see why this submissions should be any different...but I'm pretty curious myself.

Samovar

Angry Robot debut author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leecollinsfiction.com

When I submitted, I included both a two-page synopsis of the book and a 2-3 sentence description of each of the major characters. Not saying that's the only way to do it, but it worked for me.

Good luck to everyone!

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Aw crap. Just realized that the manuscript I submitted has some elements in common with Aliette de Bodard's books. I've read one of her short stories on Clarkesworld and wandered her webpage but didn't read the blurbs about her books. Blood magic, pyramids, symbiotic relationship between gods and mortals, and human sacrifice? Check, check, check, and check.

To be fair, my main character comes from an aztec-inspired culture and spends all of two pages in her native country, so here's hoping it's not enough to be an automatic pass.

Blegh.

Status
Not open for further replies.